Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:02 PM

11 posts, read 24,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I would say, go Winston.

The downtown is trying hard, and doing a good job, plus you have the NC School of the Arts...ooops, that would be UNC School of Arts which has a number of productions, concerts, etc that are open to the public. Don't know about living arrangements, but I would not walk to UNCSA.
Thanks so much - may rent for a while before we decide. Glad to know about the art stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM

23 posts, read 49,682 times
One of the events I really enjoy all year long is “First Friday” downtown. This is a popular event.

downtownfridays.com | First Friday is a place to meet friends, make new ones, bring out of town guests to celebrate Greensboro's creativity

Do you and your husband dance the Texas Two-Step? The equivalent in the Carolinas is the Shag.
It’s easy to learn and a lot of fun. Here is a demo to show how easy it is to learn. The demo is really dated, but it gives you good idea of the basic dance.

How to Shag Tonight? - YouTube

In the summer, you can find plenty of opportunities to listen to music (and even dance the Shag). Many of these events are downtown. I could not find the link from last summer but here is similar information from 2010.

Summer tunes in the Triad : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis (http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/05/26/article/summer_tunes_in_the_triad - broken link)

I know very little about old cars—other than to appreciate them. I have included a link that looks like it has some good contact information.

North Carolina Hot Rod, Street Rod and Classic Car Clubs

Old 02-10-2012, 01:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Winston-Salem has NC School of the Arts, and Greensboro has UNC-Greensboro which has a nationally-known theatre (and voice?) program. Both have lots of things going on in their downtowns, once you find the right local resources (websites, publications, etc). I used to think of Winston as a very blue-collar town, but visiting some friend there recently, I was astounded at how much is there now.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:27 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I used to think of Winston as a very blue-collar town, but visiting some friend there recently, I was astounded at how much is there now.
Just curious about how you got the impression that Winston-Salem is "very blue-collar". With the historical influence of Wachovia (and now BB&T), WFU, the medical complexes, and RJR executive offices, I don't think it's ever been regarded as blue collar by most people. If anything, I think it has had what some perceived as a conservative, somewhat "stuffed shirt" reputation (especially 20-30 years ago at the height of Wachovia's reign), but that has been washed away for the most part. There's always been a rather Bohemian influence here--it was the first city in the nation to establish a local arts council, UNC-School of the Arts is here, as well as a thriving professional arts community. And the Moravians were voracious beer drinkers--legend has it that upon founding the town, the second building they erected (after the church) was a brewery. Now that's my kinda town!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Just curious about how you got the impression that Winston-Salem is "very blue-collar". With the historical influence of Wachovia (and now BB&T), WFU, the medical complexes, and RJR executive offices, I don't think it's ever been regarded as blue collar by most people. If anything, I think it has had what some perceived as a conservative, somewhat "stuffed shirt" reputation (especially 20-30 years ago at the height of Wachovia's reign), but that has been washed away for the most part. There's always been a rather Bohemian influence here--it was the first city in the nation to establish a local arts council, UNC-School of the Arts is here, as well as a thriving professional arts community. And the Moravians were voracious beer drinkers--legend has it that upon founding the town, the second building they erected (after the church) was a brewery. Now that's my kinda town!
In my opinion, Winston-Salem's history of tobacco and textile factories definitely give the city a blue collar influence.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:51 PM

101 posts, read 357,317 times
Winston would definitely be the more "artsy" city of the three you mentioned. There is the Sawtooth School for Visual Arts (www.sawtooth.org) with all types of art/craft classes, and the Piedmont Craftsman's Guild downtown. There is also SECCA (Southeast Center for Contemporary Arts) near Reynolda Village which has some good exhibits and events occasionally. Lots of galleries selling pottery, jewelry, glassworks, and other things usually made right on the premises.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:46 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
In my opinion, Winston-Salem's history of tobacco and textile factories definitely give the city a blue collar influence.
Sure, there's no doubt an "influence", as is the case with most all cities in the south. But you need look no farther than the neighborhoods of West End, Stratford Rd/Buena Vista, and Ardmore to see that there's lots of old money here. That's a big reason the arts are so prevalent--that old money funded much of its beginnings.

Last edited by arbyunc; 02-11-2012 at 02:57 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 08:29 AM

23 posts, read 49,682 times
Bubbette, check out Seagrove for a day trip. You will find some beautiful pottery there!

You may also want to include Asheville in your cities to check out for retirement. Housing prices are higher but you may really like vibe of this city.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 PM

11 posts, read 24,239 times
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I have another friend moving to Asheville, but think we will like the Triad area the best. Very excited about moving there!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:46 PM

18 posts, read 24,016 times
I attended the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and they have so many opportunities
for art appreciation-its only art gallery, plays and theatre performances, dance, etc.....I would
lean toward Greensboro....however the downtown area of Winston Salem has tried very hard to
provide many cultural opportunities as well.....fortunately, the cities are 30 minutes apart so you
can enjoy things in both cities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point