U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:17 PM

11 posts, read 20,956 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are selling our house in Austin and are trying to decide which town - Greensboro, High Point, or Winston-Salem - to move to in the spring (we hope). We'd love to move close to downtown in a city where we could walk to events. We've lived in small towns and in the country and the suburbs, so we'd love to try a larger (100-200K) city with more going on in the evenings, like art shows, plays, music - just fun downtown events.

I've tried to look over the downtown areas through Google maps, but that doesn't really help a lot to see which of these cities might have an active (and safe) downtown. Austin is great for that, but three months of 100+ temps gets old very fast.

We hope to retire a few years down the road, and want to find a great small city now to enjoy our interests - I'm an artist and we both love old cars. North Carolina is so beautiful and has great seasons, and we can't wait to move!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 01:25 PM

12,575 posts, read 14,594,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbette23 View Post
My husband and I are selling our house in Austin and are trying to decide which town - Greensboro, High Point, or Winston-Salem - to move to in the spring (we hope). We'd love to move close to downtown in a city where we could walk to events. We've lived in small towns and in the country and the suburbs, so we'd love to try a larger (100-200K) city with more going on in the evenings, like art shows, plays, music - just fun downtown events.

I've tried to look over the downtown areas through Google maps, but that doesn't really help a lot to see which of these cities might have an active (and safe) downtown. Austin is great for that, but three months of 100+ temps gets old very fast.

We hope to retire a few years down the road, and want to find a great small city now to enjoy our interests - I'm an artist and we both love old cars. North Carolina is so beautiful and has great seasons, and we can't wait to move!
You can scratch High Point off the list.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:40 PM

I've read in the High Point newspaper (2008) that downtown was pretty dull at night.

Thanks for the confirmation - it looks like a great town otherwise...

Old 02-05-2012, 08:15 PM

23 posts, read 45,451 times
You didn't ask this...yet ...but you can find Texas barbecue at Dickey's Barbecue Pit. There are two locations--one in Winston Salem and a new one that just opened in High Point, easily accessible from Greensboro. Very good!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 AM

700 posts, read 1,559,266 times
Winston-Salem downtown does have some nightlife. Not just a bar crowd. Greensboro leans more that way. Both have there pros and cons. Winston-Salem does support a large arts program. Greensboro has just started to address. High Point forget it.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 PM

23 posts, read 45,451 times
Look at the two websites below to get a good idea of what is going on in Greensboro and Winston Salem. This is a relatively slow time of year, activity-wise. Things pick up when the weather gets warmer. Even in high season, you will not find the variety or the number of activities that you find in Austin, of course—and I think you may miss that a little, if I don’t miss my guess. You will also miss “The Country of Texas.” So do be prepared for that. I’ve included a link for Winston Salem below but I am not as familiar with Winston Salem as I am with Greensboro. I’m sure someone else will chime in with more information about Winston Salem.

Home Page : goTriad.com - Triad Arts and Entertainment
Winston-Salem Entertainment Guide - RelishNow

For Greensboro, check out these additional websites:

City of Greensboro, NC : Cultural Center at Festival Park
NC Performing Arts - North Carolina Performing Arts Center - Carolina Theatre - Greensboro, NC
City Arts, Greensboro Cultural Center - Greensboro Downtown - Official Downtown Greensboro Inc
https://www.facebook.com/GCC.CityArts
Find Attractions in Greensboro, NC | Greensboro, NC Travel & Tourism - Greensboro, NC Accommodations, Restaurants, Events & Attractions

What you will love about Greensboro and Winston Salem will be the relatively quick access to both the beautiful seashore and the lovely mountains. Also, people are very friendly and housing prices are decent. And, yes, you can sit down in the grass without first checking for fire ants. And you won’t see the thermometer stubbornly sitting on 100 degrees at 9:00 at night!

There is some competition between Greensboro and Winston Salem. I have not lived here my entire life so I don’t experience that personally. I could be happy living in either city. The best thing to do is to visit each city. One of them will resonate with you.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 AM
LLN

5,228 posts, read 9,824,770 times
I would say, go Winston.

The downtown is trying hard, and doing a good job, plus you have the NC School of the Arts...ooops, that would be UNC School of Arts which has a number of productions, concerts, etc that are open to the public. Don't know about living arrangements, but I would not walk to UNCSA.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmWaters View Post
You didn't ask this...yet ...but you can find Texas barbecue at Dickey's Barbecue Pit. There are two locations--one in Winston Salem and a new one that just opened in High Point, easily accessible from Greensboro. Very good!
Thank you very much! I will definitely be missing Texas BBQ!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
Winston-Salem downtown does have some nightlife. Not just a bar crowd. Greensboro leans more that way. Both have there pros and cons. Winston-Salem does support a large arts program. Greensboro has just started to address. High Point forget it.
Not looking for bars, more "social" type events with music and art and people. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmWaters View Post
Look at the two websites below to get a good idea of what is going on in Greensboro and Winston Salem. This is a relatively slow time of year, activity-wise. Things pick up when the weather gets warmer. Even in high season, you will not find the variety or the number of activities that you find in Austin, of course—and I think you may miss that a little, if I don’t miss my guess. You will also miss “The Country of Texas.” So do be prepared for that. I’ve included a link for Winston Salem below but I am not as familiar with Winston Salem as I am with Greensboro. I’m sure someone else will chime in with more information about Winston Salem.

Home Page : goTriad.com - Triad Arts and Entertainment
Winston-Salem Entertainment Guide - RelishNow

For Greensboro, check out these additional websites:

City of Greensboro, NC : Cultural Center at Festival Park
NC Performing Arts - North Carolina Performing Arts Center - Carolina Theatre - Greensboro, NC
City Arts, Greensboro Cultural Center - Greensboro Downtown - Official Downtown Greensboro Inc
https://www.facebook.com/GCC.CityArts
Find Attractions in Greensboro, NC | Greensboro, NC Travel & Tourism - Greensboro, NC Accommodations, Restaurants, Events & Attractions

What you will love about Greensboro and Winston Salem will be the relatively quick access to both the beautiful seashore and the lovely mountains. Also, people are very friendly and housing prices are decent. And, yes, you can sit down in the grass without first checking for fire ants. And you won’t see the thermometer stubbornly sitting on 100 degrees at 9:00 at night!

There is some competition between Greensboro and Winston Salem. I have not lived here my entire life so I don’t experience that personally. I could be happy living in either city. The best thing to do is to visit each city. One of them will resonate with you.
Thank you so much for all of the links! I will probably be joining one or two art guilds and am glad there will be art events. I moved to Austin in '72 before it was so large, and am excited about living in a smaller town again. Both Greensboro and Winston-Salem sound good, briefly visited both in 2003. Very helpful stuff!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point