Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 AM

676 posts, read 3,077,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I like being 15-30 minutes from nearly everything in W-S, Gbro, and HP in Meadowlands. But I don't like being 15 minutes from just about anything. lol
Exactly! The 15 minutes we were constantly driving to W-S became frustrating once our children got older. I felt like I was a taxi going back and forth. It is a nice area if you only need to go into W-S once a day for work or shopping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 AM

676 posts, read 3,077,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwwilliams40 View Post
We are from Atlanta...we want to be in WS city limits, just want to be in the city...what are the best public elementary schools in WS?
The top 4 schools I can think of immediately are: Whitaker, Meadowlark, Jefferson, Sherwood elementary schools. I am sure there are few others, but these tend to be highly desired. You get put in a zone by neighborhood, but it is a "School of Choice" city and you can opt out of your immediate school and select another one in your zone. You aren't given priority, but it usually isn't a problem getting in. I believe you can even petition out of your zone of schools, but I am not 100% sure about that or the process. If you have a realtor, I remember being given a school zone locator tool where I could put in the neighborhoods I was interested in and see what schools came up. I would then go on the NC school report cards and research the schools.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,631,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Exactly! The 15 minutes we were constantly driving to W-S became frustrating once our children got older. I felt like I was a taxi going back and forth. It is a nice area if you only need to go into W-S once a day for work or shopping!
Fortunately that's about all I have to do...drive to W-S for work; run errands in W-S on the way home. Fortunately, my wife stays at home. Then on weekends, we'll usually be in either W-S, Gboro, or HP for some reason.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,236 times
I would recommend Brookberry Farm with a olympic sized pool clubhouse tennis courts and walking trails.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
You'll be in Forsyth County...I'm not familiar with specific schools there.

But the two areas we looked at most were north Davidson County (where we now live) - for the schools and being a little outside of the city, and on the Guilford County side of the Forsyth/Guilford county line, just outside Oak Ridge - also mainly for the schools (Guilford side was Oak Ridge schools; Forsyth side was not nearly as well renowned).

I believe your in Ledford district right? My daughter has friends who live there. Now my daughter didn't like Ledford, as well as I didn't either. We moved out to WS in West Forsyth district and she loves it now. Forsyth Co has a mix of good and bad schools.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:51 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,631,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnm187 View Post
I believe your in Ledford district right? My daughter has friends who live there. Now my daughter didn't like Ledford, as well as I didn't either. We moved out to WS in West Forsyth district and she loves it now. Forsyth Co has a mix of good and bad schools.
Our daughter is at Oak Grove Middle School (new school that opened last fall), otherwise she would have gone to Ledford Middle. It's been a much easier transition from elementary to middle than we expected.

She'll be at Ledford High...the county has the land for a new high school adjacent to Oak Grove Middle, but doesn't have the financing yet. So I suspect she'll be at Ledford High at least to start HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point