Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 15,054 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I had asked about a particular apartment in a different post but due to concerns about some ratings I found a few other apartments we may be interested in, we are moving from PA and may not be able to drive down to see the apartment until the day of the move (my husband and I). I have read on here that people are saying to stick to the 27106 and 27104 zip codes but just wanted to check with everyone about particular places in case there are "shady" areas within those zip codes, thank you so much I really appreciate it!
I was looking at Twin City apartments and Townhomes but a thread on here said to stay away from that area.

I found an apartment in 27106, Sherwood Ridges, it says it is near Mt. Tabor High school and Robinhood Road: Sherwood Ridges Apartment Rentals[id]/9203/

Also, Carolina Woods in 27106 near Old Town Rd, Pine Ridge Plaza and Reynolda Rd: Apartment Rentals in Winston-Salem, NC | Welcome to The Carolina Woods Apartments

Glendare Park apartments in 27104 near interstate 40 and country club road: Apartment Rentals in Greensboro, NC | Welcome to Glendare Park Apartments

The Ambercrest near University Parkway: Winston-Salem NC Apartment for Rent: The Ambercrest "Follow signs for Historic Bethabara and merge onto University Parkway. Turn right onto Bethabara Park Blvd. Take your first right onto Ambercrest Drive"

96 Ardsley Apartments near Peters Creek Parkway and Washington Park: loc: Ardsley St, and South Sunset Dr at Ardmore Winston Salem NC US - Google Maps
Welcome Home to 96 Ardsley Apartments, LLC!!!

And then our last choice because it seems pretty pricey for a small apartment and seems out farther away from everything, Brannigan Village 27127: Brannigan Village Apts Apartment Rentals

Thank you so much for your help, as you can see we are trying to stay below $600, preferably below $580 or $550.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 AM

97 posts, read 315,485 times
hi, i have two toddlers and too busy to get online during the day. it's difficult typing from my phone but i'll reply to your post sometime after 5 when my husband gets home. I'll give you the scoop on the places/neighborhoods you asked about.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:24 PM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Given your budget, I would suggest Sherwood Ridges by far.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 PM

First, please do everything you can to see the apartment you're going to sign a lease for. If you can't come down, at least request a picture of the actual unit they'll be leasing you so you have at least some idea of what you're getting into. If you know anyone here who can preview the apartment for you, that's an idea to consider. They can take pictures of everything and forward them to you.

Second, I recommend contacting the Winston-Salem Police Department and speaking with a community liaison officer. You can ask about specific areas of Winston and they'll give you crime statistics for any particular area so you have a better understanding of these communities. Do not rely on crime statistics for a general area and don't move to an apartment simply because it's in a certain zip code. That's not always the best indicator of whether the place will actually be safe or clean. The number to contact the WSPD is 336-773-7700 and I think they can give you some valuable information.

Sherwood Ridges is in a decent area with good schools if that's something that's important, but they're bad about showing you a model apartment or a vacant apartment that's been repainted, etc. and then once you've signed your lease, you might find your apartment is the same floorplan but a different unit that might have dirty carpet, 20 years' worth of caulking around the shower, etc. You need to be able to see the unit you'll be moving into and make sure they don't show you one apartment and then find out you signed a lease for another one. Other than that, it's one of your better options given the budget you're working with.

Carolina Woods is in a "meh" area- it's in the zip code you're looking for, but you do not want to live there. Constant drama, domestic disturbances- it's a shady place to live, even if the general area is not considered dangerous.

Glendare Park- same thing. It's pretty ghetto The crime rate in that complex does NOT reflect the much lower crime rate for that area of town in general.

Ambercrest- back when I was in my early twenties, these apartments were HUD subsidized and accepted Section 8 vouchers. The complex went by a different name but I can't remember what it was. Anyway, the buildings used to look nice but they've gone downhill over the years. I know that back then it was pretty rowdy and noisy. I don't know if the management changed or if they just changed the name of the complex to try to shed the image people had developed of the place but I would never recommend this place to anyone- especially if you might have to move sight unseen.

Ardsley- no, no and hell no. Not a good area. I don't know anything about the apartments and I've never known anyone who lived there, but my ex-husband's sister lived in a complex very near Ardsley called the Ledges and it was absolutely horrible. They were infested with roaches, there was a lot of crime and nobody's car was safe even if you just went to visit someone during the day. Just based on the area and what I know about other complexes very nearby, I would not recommend this place.

There's a reason Brannigan is pricey. Growing up, this stretch of 150 was nothing but trees. Now, it's been developed and the commercial and residential development is beautiful. Even though Brannigan is off Peter's Creek Pkwy (which turns into Hwy 150 as you move toward the lower end of Forsyth county and into this area) it's nothing like the northern end of Peter's Creek Pkwy where Ardsley is. It's a safe, laid-back residential area away from the busier parts of town but there is enough shopping nearby that you don't have to drive very far to run errands and shop. A friend of mine lives just further south of where Brannigan is, not even a mile into Davidson County, and she does most of her shopping on that end of 150 and usually doesn't have to come into town except for doctor's appointments and things like that. Winston is really not bad when it comes to traffic, but certain areas like Hanes Mall Blvd and Stratford Road can be pretty rough. They were not designed for the traffic flow you see in those areas today, so being able to avoid coming into town, especially during morning and afternoon rush hours is nice.

I love Winston and the triad, and enjoy helping people in this forum who are considering moving here if I can. I know it's scary to have to move to a new place, especially with the short notice you have, so I hope you'll be able to get the information you need from forums like this one and from local community resources here in Winston to make your move as smooth as possible. Take care, and good luck with your apartment search

Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 AM

115 posts, read 179,111 times
Wow, Laney has given some great advice/info.

I don't live in WS, but I did have to move here (from overseas) into a place sight unseen - I did see photos, but they were not really great photos. I WOULD NEVER DO THIS AGAIN. Even though the rental was in the right school district (the zip code we wanted), the rental itself was a dump. The landlord didn't take care of the place and cared only about collecting her rent.

I agree with Laney. Please see the place where you intend to live BEFORE signing anything. It could be the wisest thing you do regarding your move.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:56 PM

273 posts, read 949,952 times
I'll second everything Laney posted. When we moved here, we planned to make a home purchase quickly, so wanted an as short as possible lease. With a dog and cat, that narrowed down our selection for us. We ended up at Glendare, though it was named something else at the time. This was a blind lease, had no idea what it was going to be like. I'd say we lucked out with where they put us in the complex, but it still was not a nice place to live. The police may as well have had a substation there, because they were there nightly somewhere on the property. Our "nice" neighbors next door had the police there 5 times in a week for domestic issues. We selected and closed on our house in a month and half to get out of the place.

I understand not being able to get down to look before moving, so two suggestions. 1, try and do a shorter term in case you absolutely hate it. Or 2, maybe try an extended stay for a few days/week and do your apartment search when you get here quickly.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 15,054 times
Wow, thank you everyone for your advice and input and thank you SOOOOO much laneynewport for all of your information, that was the kind of response I was hoping for, you have saved us a great deal of stress and have helped us immensely!!!!!! We are definitely canceling out every apartment except Brannigan Village, and last night I was online for hours looking for one more apartment in case something fell through with them, I found Providence Pointe. Have any of you heard about or seen this complex?

Providence Pointe Apartments in Winston-Salem, NC | Apartments.com

I've heard some good things on these forums about the area up there but like you said laneynewport, it could be in a not so great area regardless. The apartments look very nice and since they are brand new I feel comfortable not having to see them before we rent because we really aren't going to be able to come down and see the specific unit unfortunately. My only concern is if it is in a good, safe neighborhood.

Thank you again

Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 AM

Hi again! I'm not familiar with this apartment complex. I found some reviews for Providence Pointe and some said it was great and others said the gate didn't make them feel safe because anybody could get in and it was a horrible place to live. It's hard to judge a place by online reviews because sometimes the management will post a raving review to throw people off of the really bad reviews that former tenants have posted- and some of the terrible reviews could be posted by angry former tenants who were evicted for good reason and just want to get back at the management somehow.

A lot of apartment complexes will offer free or reduced rent to a police officer (maybe two or three) to deter crime and so that residents will feel more secure. You might want to contact Providence Pointe and ask if they have an officer who lives on-site. If so, you can leave your contact information and request that he contact you to answer any questions you have. If not, the WSPD is going to have the most current/accurate info about this complex since it's relatively new so a commuity liaison officer would be your biggest help on this one.

Sorry I couldn't offer any more help. This end of town is near and dear to my heart since my grandparents lived right off of University Pkwy all of their lives. When we were at their house, we shopped, went to movies, and went out to eat in the Reynolda area regularly. On the other hand my childhood home was on the south end of town (on Acadia Ave) so I consider the area where Brannigan is to be part of my old stomping grounds, too. Personally, I prefer the south end of town (toward Davidson County) just because it's a bit more relaxed and doesn't seem quite so busy as the north end. On the other hand, the Reynolda area is considered nicer because housing prices are higher, the schools there are preferred, etc. Although there are neighborhoods with pretty high home values in the Reynolda area, it doesn't mean that apartment communities in that area are going to be any nicer or safer than other areas of town so don't put too much stock in the zip code/crime rate info you find online. (Note- when I refer to the "south end" of Winston, please don't confuse that with what people here refer to as "southside". This is not an area you'd want to move to, but none of the places you mentioned are in that area.)

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm happy to help if I can!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 AM

Just wanted to add that I saw very few negative reviews about Providence Pointe so this is a place I would definitely consider if you can get a little bit more information about the place. I didn't want to discourage you from a place that might be lovely because again, I'm not personally familiar with it like I was the other apartment complexes I mentioned previously.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,564 times
I have a friend who lives in Glendare Park apartment. Avoid this place at all cost. There are drug dealers living right across the parking lot from him. He has complained to management many times to no avail. If you value your safety don't move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point