Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:33 PM

35 posts, read 65,597 times

Advertisements

does anyone use or know anything about the majic jack plus phone service? we have been thinking of replacing our land line with the majic jack. that way we wouldn't need to up our cell minutes. it looks like a good deal. I was wondering about call quality and reliability. I figure reliability is based on your internet service. when it drops out you lose service I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 06:32 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,533,334 times
A friend had it and he experienced issues with echoes, though it could have been other factors too.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:43 PM

we did the free trial offer they had if you ordered online and had no problem with echoes. I was worried about that for sure. I figure with the free longdistance we would not uswee our cells as much. we have dsl service which we would keep. I didn't notice any delay during the free trial. I liked it really well. just wondering if I'm missing something. $20 a year is a lot better than $40 a month.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:24 AM

273 posts, read 948,380 times
I tried it when it first came out and had issues, so it went in a drawer. The fact that you needed a computer running 24/7 was a bit of a turn off for some, but I believe with their "plus" that's no longer an issue. Glad to hear they may have improved things, it's a price that is tough to beat. I've been running Ooma since we gave up mj, and it's a great service too.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:41 AM

ooma is a lot more expensive to purchase than the majic jack plus. that's one reason I am drawn to it. $69.99 includes first year service, then $19.99 each year after that. the plus unit just plugs into your router so yes it can operate 24/7 without your computer running.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:42 PM

273 posts, read 948,380 times
Yeah, ooma is a bit costlier, tho I found a refurb unit a few years ago for $115. I'm also a little biased, since I'm grandfathered in and don't pay ANY taxes, which unfortunately, new units you have to pay $2-$3/mo in taxes for. So yeah, if the call quality has substantially improved for the MJ+, then it is certainly one heck of a deal. Their business model is actually pretty impressive (they purchased local exchanges and then lease them to ATT, Verizon, etc..., so that's their operating income source), and I doubt they'll be going anywhere soon.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:40 PM

I just keep thinking if it sounds too good to be true it may be. seems like there must be a catch but I can't figure out what it could be. thank you all for your help.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:08 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,621,171 times
I had the original MagicJack (not the Plus - the original requires the computer to be on for it to function). Wasn't impressed with call quality (echoing), sometimes it just wouldn't connect/dial. We used it for a vacation home for a while, but I switched to Ooma...I much prefer Ooma. Very good call quality, even though we have the cheapest internet offered (768k download IIRC). I've even thought about switching our main home line to Ooma. Right now, we have a bundle from TWC, and it wouldn't save much if we just used TWC for cable and internet, so we've kept the phone with TWC as well for now. Don't know if MagicJack Plus is better than the original - if so, it's a great deal.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I had the original MagicJack (not the Plus - the original requires the computer to be on for it to function). Wasn't impressed with call quality (echoing), sometimes it just wouldn't connect/dial. We used it for a vacation home for a while, but I switched to Ooma...I much prefer Ooma. Very good call quality, even though we have the cheapest internet offered (768k download IIRC). I've even thought about switching our main home line to Ooma. Right now, we have a bundle from TWC, and it wouldn't save much if we just used TWC for cable and internet, so we've kept the phone with TWC as well for now. Don't know if MagicJack Plus is better than the original - if so, it's a great deal.
the plus seems to be much better than the original. connects to the router so your computer doesn't need to be on. when I tested it for a couple weeks the call quality was as good as my land line. only time it didn't work was when the dsl was out. that only happened once in two weeks. I was reallt hoping to find someone who had it so I could figure out if there are any hidden fees or anything else I can't figure out.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,621,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead59 View Post
the plus seems to be much better than the original. connects to the router so your computer doesn't need to be on. when I tested it for a couple weeks the call quality was as good as my land line. only time it didn't work was when the dsl was out. that only happened once in two weeks. I was reallt hoping to find someone who had it so I could figure out if there are any hidden fees or anything else I can't figure out.
AFAIK, there are no additional fees beyond the annual price...this would be consistent with the original MagicJack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point