Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM

14 posts, read 17,748 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am hoping someone might be able to provide some suggestions of locations that my mother can look at moving to, based on her criteria. She recently sold her house in The Villages, Florida and wants to move further north, between Florida and Michigan, where she is originally from. She is currently living with me in Richmond, VA, but does not want to stay in VA.

Here is her wish list:

- A location that is relatively mild in winter and doesn’t get snow (or much snow, anyway)
- She doesn’t want to live near the ocean, nor in a location where it is mountainous – rolling hills are fine (she’s a flatlander)
- A small town – preferably 20,000 or less – with a large senior population (a lot of transplants would be nice). Maybe a small town outside of a larger city
- A YMCA where she can take pool exercise classes with other seniors
- A Catholic church, a movie theatre, and a nice library nearby
- She wants to rent and would prefer a cottage-style apartment, or a building with a maximum of two stories. Maybe even a townhouse. She wants it to be an active adult complex (no families) and not assisted living at all (she’s very independent and is not ready yet for one of those facilities where they provide dining and other such amenities).

Now, here’s the rub: she has a limited budget and can probably only afford $700 in rent (for a 2 BR), at the very maximum. She does not want to live in an income-restricted complex, but she may have to.

Any insight that can be provided would be very much appreciated. What she's looking for really is a place like The Villages, but further north!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 03:07 AM

18 posts, read 24,026 times
Well, I live in Lexington North Carolina and it is a small town. It is close to Greensboro and Winston Salem. I don't particularly LOVE the town, because there isn't much to do but the advantage is very little traffic and very easy to drive, the YMCA is wonderful (I'm a member), and the cost of living and housing is very low. There are so many homes for sale and rent, you might be able to meet your criteria. Salisbury might be another option-more to do, but not sure of cost of housing.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 AM

280 posts, read 1,136,245 times
Has she looked in to Pinehurst? We lived there several years back, it seems to be a great place for retirees, lots of activities for seniors. It has some more expensive areas, but some reasonably priced locations as well.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Belle at Heart View Post
Now, here’s the rub: she has a limited budget and can probably only afford $700 in rent (for a 2 BR), at the very maximum. She does not want to live in an income-restricted complex, but she may have to.
If she's open to mobile homes, I'd sugggest Creekside in Reidsville : Creekside in Reidsville, NC

You may have to register to get to this site.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Thank you all very much for your responses! Pinehurst was on our list of places to check out - I'll add Lexington and Salisbury to the list (we have a LONG list and it keeps getting longer!).

Creekside in Reidsville looks interesting. I will contact them to see about availability.

Again, many thanks!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
I'd suggest a place like The Villages.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:36 AM

As a follow up to those who responded to my original post back in February, my mother moved to Bardstown, KY in April. It is such a charming, historic, little town. Thank you all for your suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point