Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 AM

11 posts, read 72,146 times

Advertisements

I was recently informed that I need to relocate for my job to Winston-Salem. I am 27, African-American, single female. I currently live in Atlanta and know that both cities are very different from here, but I don't require much. I am looking to live in a downtown area, close to a high-end mall, with great restaurants, nightlife, and a gym. I would like to live in a high-rise preferably, with covered parking and great amenities. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Which city has the better downtown area living, Winston-Salem or Greensboro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 09:21 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
I can't speak for Greensboro as I don't spend much time downtown there, but Winston-Salem's downtown seems to offer the things you're looking for. There are several downtown condo buildings, including the Nissen Building, the Gallery Lofts, and West End Village. There are a number of bars/restaurants downtown, and a gym. The mall is a 5-10 minute drive.

Doesn't compare to Atlanta, obviously, but it's not bad. I'd say if your job is in Winston-Salem, there's no reason to commute from Greensboro.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I can't speak for Greensboro as I don't spend much time downtown there, but Winston-Salem's downtown seems to offer the things you're looking for. There are several downtown condo buildings, including the Nissen Building, the Gallery Lofts, and West End Village. There are a number of bars/restaurants downtown, and a gym. The mall is a 5-10 minute drive.

Doesn't compare to Atlanta, obviously, but it's not bad. I'd say if your job is in Winston-Salem, there's no reason to commute from Greensboro.
Thank you, this is very helpful information. I will look into the three buildings you mentioned.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,222,091 times
Downtown Greensboro and the city as a whole has a superior nightlife between the two cities . There are more shopping options, restaurants and entertainment in Greensboro. There are a few upscale apartment complexes that have recently gone up in downtown Greensboro although they aren't high-rises. There is one fairly new high-rise condo building called Center Pointe. There are also other low-rise/mid-rise condo building in downtown Greensboro. You mentioned you want to live near a high end mall. The bulk of the Triad's upscale stores are located in Greensboro, particularly at Friendly Center (open air mall). You'll find stores there like Brooks Brothers (men & women) also restaurants like PF Chang's, Wolfgang Puck and Ruth's Chris. There is another big mall in Greensboro called Four Seasons Town Centre. Piedmont Triad International Airport is located in Greensboro and the city also has AMTRAK service which can connect you to Charlotte, Raleigh and further cities like Washington and New York.

Some Greensboro web links

GREENSBORO TOURISM
http://visitgreensboronc.com/

DOWNTOWN
http://downtowngreensboro.net/

SHOPPING
http://www.friendlycenter.com/shop/friendly.nsf/index

SHOPPING
http://www.shopfourseasons.com/

SHOPPING
http://www.villageatnorthelm.com/

GREENSBORO COLISEUM
http://www.greensborocoliseum.com/

Some downtown Greensboro living options

http://www.centerpointegreensboro.com/

http://cityviewatsouthside.com/

http://www.greenwayatfisherpark.com/

http://www.greensboroughcourt.com/

But this all depends on how far you are willing to commute. Downtown Greensboro to Downtown Winston-Salem is 28 miles. You coming from Atlanta, which is a more spread out metro area, 28 miles may not be a big deal.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-12-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 11:22 AM

gsoboi78, thank you for the information. This is a lot to consider and has definitely put some things into perspective...28 miles is not a stretch for me by any means, so I will be looking into some of the links you provided!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:48 PM

97 posts, read 227,525 times
No reason to live in Greensboro if you work in Winston-Salem. Most people I have met here (and I have only lived her 8 1/2 months)...especially from Greensboro think that Greensboro is so superior to Winston-Salem...as an outsider...I don't see it. You can't do anything in Greensboro that you can't do in Winston-Salem...and Greensboro's crime rate is higher.

Winston-Salem's Trader Joes opens in 5 weeks...Greensboro...not even in the works. It fell through. PF Changs...is coming to Hanes Mall Blvd in W-S....high end shopping you have to drive to South Park Mall in Charlotte for stores like Louis Vuitton and other high end retailers.

Best of luck to you!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte2Advance View Post
No reason to live in Greensboro if you work in Winston-Salem. Most people I have met here (and I have only lived her 8 1/2 months)...especially from Greensboro think that Greensboro is so superior to Winston-Salem...as an outsider...I don't see it. You can't do anything in Greensboro that you can't do in Winston-Salem...and Greensboro's crime rate is higher.

Winston-Salem's Trader Joes opens in 5 weeks...Greensboro...not even in the works. It fell through. PF Changs...is coming to Hanes Mall Blvd in W-S....high end shopping you have to drive to South Park Mall in Charlotte for stores like Louis Vuitton and other high end retailers.

Best of luck to you!
Yes, you can. You can attend baseball games in a stadium that you're not paying for on both ends because your city had to keep up with the Jones.
Back to the OP, both cities are comparable with the best part being a short drive from one to another. I'm not much into high end shopping and most of unimaginative suggestions spoken are cookie cutter chains. Come to the triad and seek out the unbeaten path, I think you will love it.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 PM

127 posts, read 309,375 times
Hi ATL2NC12,

I've recently started working in Winston-Salem and am looking into a future move into downtown. You might want to take a look at Gallery Lofts. I found them lovely inside and they satisfy my need for an urban feel. The finishes are really great and from there you could walk to the Art's District, which is cute and small.

As for nightlife I enjoy 6th and Vine, a wine restaurant and bar in the Art's District. This would be close to Gallery Lofts. But in general downtown is very compact and easy to navigate. I also like Tate's which is a cocktail bar on 4th St. They have open mic on Tuesdays. And there are random little jazz and other arts scenes throughout downtown occurring on several nights in the week.

So if you're looking for a simpler pace in a small city I would go for Winston Salem. Plus, as other posters have stated, since you'll be working there why not live there. I hope that you enjoy!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:58 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,222,091 times
I've lived in both Winston-Salem and Greensboro. I prefer Greensboro. Winston-Salem is a nice city. Its very artsy, has a nice skyline and downtown. But outside of the downtown area, there is nothing much in Winston. Retail and entertainment are limited compared to Greensboro. To me Greensboro just seems more alive with more amenities and it is the bigger city between the two. A lot of people commute 20 to 30 miles to work. At a place I use to work at in Greensboro, we had a lady who commuted everyday from Charlotte and Greensboro and Charlotte are 89 miles apart. You have to be happy where you live. To me that's more important than living some where just because its closer to my job. But hey everyone is different.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-12-2012 at 10:15 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
But outside of the downtown area, there is nothing much in Winston. Retail and entertainment are limited compared to Greensboro. To me Greensboro just seems more alive with more amenities and it is the bigger city between the two.

Yes, Greensboro is [slightly] bigger, and there's nothing wrong with preferring to live in Greensboro, but to say retail and entertainment are "limited" in W-S is hogwash. It's a quality vs. quantity thing--having more big box stores and chain restaurants doesn't make it a better place to live.

But I don't mean to disparage Greensboro in any way--it is a nice place to live, but Winston offers as much or more in quality of life. And it's made even better by being so close to Greensboro that it's easy to take advantage of all both cities have to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point