Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2006, 10:09 AM
AVA AVA started this thread

129 posts, read 321,250 times

Advertisements

If we are looking in the Greensboro area for jobs which area is better for schools and homes?Summefield looks more expensive than Kernersville is this true?If so is it worth it to pay more for for your home to live in Summerfield?I'd like an area with good schools,a few minutes drive to grocery and department stores.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 11:15 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,725 times
Default GSO area

SUmmerfield would be closer to GSO if the job is actually in the GSO city limits (Kernersville is in neighboring Forsyth County).

The schools are generally better in Summerfield than in Kernersville, which is one reason why it is more expensive. If the given the choice, I would take Summerfield.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
SUmmerfield would be closer to GSO if the job is actually in the GSO city limits (Kernersville is in neighboring Forsyth County).

The schools are generally better in Summerfield than in Kernersville, which is one reason why it is more expensive. If the given the choice, I would take Summerfield.
Thanks for responding,how are the property taxes in Summerfield?I just called a realtor about a house I fell in love with on the internet.Kernersville,3000 sq ft,1 acre,220,000 and taxes are $1400 a yr!!I can't believe it!

Old 09-25-2006, 02:37 PM
JAS

Default Prop taxes

The $1,400 figure you mentioned sounds about right for a $220k property in this area, as long as it isn't in the city limits of Greensboro, High Point, or Winston-Salem (not sure about properties within the K'ville city limits). On average, I would guess that the additional tax within most cities would be about 75% of the county assessment, but I'm just guessing.

Counties assess real property taxes, and cities can also tack on their own assessments for properties within their boundaries. The unincorporated areas of counties do not have additional city assessments, and many of the rural but incorporated areas (such as Summerfield) have very small assessments.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
The $1,400 figure you mentioned sounds about right for a $220k property in this area, as long as it isn't in the city limits of Greensboro, High Point, or Winston-Salem (not sure about properties within the K'ville city limits). On average, I would guess that the additional tax within most cities would be about 75% of the county assessment, but I'm just guessing.

Counties assess real property taxes, and cities can also tack on their own assessments for properties within their boundaries. The unincorporated areas of counties do not have additional city assessments, and many of the rural but incorporated areas (such as Summerfield) have very small assessments.

For the mathematically challenged lol how much are city taxes annually?
Thanks

Old 09-25-2006, 05:36 PM
JAS

Default Check out this web source

http://www.carolinaliving.com/financ...c_property.asp

I did a Google search, and this was one of the first hits - it gives you examples of the combined city/county taxes for various NC cities at different house price levels (not too much math involved).

This includes the city, county, and any additional assessments for fire dept, etc. For example, Greensboro shows 2,420 for a $200k house, but if you lived elsewhere in Guilford County (and not in the GSO or High Point city limits) the tax bill would only be about $1,400 based on my observations - you won't get that from the chart, by the way.

You can probably search Guilford or Forsyth County websites to determine the tax burdens for various municipalities within those counties. I saw a chart once that I believe was on a UNC public policy or school of govt website that had the tax rates for every taxing authority within the state if you're a glutton for punishment (or if you need to catch up on some sleep).

Old 09-25-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
http://www.carolinaliving.com/financ...c_property.asp

I did a Google search, and this was one of the first hits - it gives you examples of the combined city/county taxes for various NC cities at different house price levels (not too much math involved).

This includes the city, county, and any additional assessments for fire dept, etc. For example, Greensboro shows 2,420 for a $200k house, but if you lived elsewhere in Guilford County (and not in the GSO or High Point city limits) the tax bill would only be about $1,400 based on my observations - you won't get that from the chart, by the way.

You can probably search Guilford or Forsyth County websites to determine the tax burdens for various municipalities within those counties. I saw a chart once that I believe was on a UNC public policy or school of govt website that had the tax rates for every taxing authority within the state if you're a glutton for punishment (or if you need to catch up on some sleep).

Thanks for the info.I did go to Forsyth County records and I was able to put in addresses and get current tax bills.Out of 10 houses I like, 6 only have Kernersville taxes(around $1100-$1400)The ones that add Forsyth County tax come out to be $2000-$2400 Still really low
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point