Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 08:37 PM

21 posts, read 85,747 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Reidsville in three weeks. We looked at several areas in North Carolina (Hendersonville, Winston-Salem, Surry County) and found a really nice house in Reidsville with 3.5 acres. We are moving from Coral Springs, FL, which is in the Fort Lauderdale area. I was really impressed with the lack of traffic once you got off the highways! We have two children, 10 and 12 years. We are closing on the house sometime in the next week. I haven't read anything on this forum about Reidsville....Can anyone tell me some positives? I really liked the area, but I would be interested to hear what others might say.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 12:55 PM

40 posts, read 182,326 times
Well congrats! Hope moving here is everyhting you dream it will be. I do not know where Reidsville is, maybe some people don't. Where is it near? I am near the foothills in Hickory. I am from central FL and it is extremely quieter here, better weather, elec cheaper, prop. tax cheaper. Life is slower here, schools are better for the kids as well. We moved here and got a house right away as well. Just make sure neighbors have kids (ours subdivision must keep their kids in the closets..lol) And hard to get a job here. Husband has one but I seem to need a PHD to get a second income around here. I miss my friends in fl, they're hard to find here, for some reason. You ever hear of the saying... nothings perfect? Well I hope its CLOSE to perfect for your family

Old 10-01-2006, 02:04 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Reidsville (Rockingham County) is about 25 miles NNE of the city of Greensboro in the Piedmont Region of NC. Population around 15K.

Last edited by mm34b; 10-01-2006 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-01-2006, 06:04 PM

Thanks for your post, gottabhappy! Your name says it all! I tried very hard for 20 years to be happy in South Florida....never quite worked though! The positive things you mentioned about NC are exactly what I'm looking for. I am originally from a small town in Massacusetts, loved it there but my husband won't move that far north! I think NC will be a very nice compromise. My husband is a broker, so most of his work is done on the phone. I am thinking about getting a real estate license once we move up there. If anyone has any info on that, I'd love to hear it.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:36 PM

463 posts, read 1,650,851 times
Default Reidsville

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellex View Post
My family and I are moving to Reidsville in three weeks. We looked at several areas in North Carolina (Hendersonville, Winston-Salem, Surry County) and found a really nice house in Reidsville with 3.5 acres. We are moving from Coral Springs, FL, which is in the Fort Lauderdale area. I was really impressed with the lack of traffic once you got off the highways! We have two children, 10 and 12 years. We are closing on the house sometime in the next week. I haven't read anything on this forum about Reidsville....Can anyone tell me some positives? I really liked the area, but I would be interested to hear what others might say.

Thanks!
Pretty area, lotsa farmland surrounding it, but not much in Reidsville. I think the Southern Farms grocery store just closed and Reidsville is hoping to get in a Lowe's food store ( which is way better than Southern Farms, IMO) in. It's about 20 miles north of us. I've actually been in the surrounding countryside more than I have in Reidsville proper. Reidsville seems to be growing in popularity as a retirement community. If you're looking for peace and quiet and not a lot to do, I think you'll enjoy it. Just be prepared for some culture shock compared to where you're moving from. You could get your kids involved in 4H- which I think is wonderful for kids, having been involved with it with children and horses.

I have noticed a lot of new home building going on there. My dentist and her husband ( actually they are both dentists --- I just REALLY like her-- she's great!) live in Reidsville. They both went to dental school at UNC in Chapel Hill. They enjoy Reidsville, but will be the first to tell people that country living without a lot of amenities is either a desired taste or an acquired one. Don't have any more specific information to give you.

Best regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-01-2006 at 06:48 PM..

Old 10-01-2006, 07:00 PM

Thank you, Cassie.

Yes, we are looking for peace and quiet! My 10 year old daughter has been taking riding lessons for a couple of years, so we are looking forward to getting a horse or two. Our soon-to-home has a small stable and fenced riding ring. I really believe it will be a wonderful change for my kids and a very positive move to get them away from the hectic pace and let them be kids for a change. The town we are moving from was touted as a "great place to raise kids" when we moved here twelve years ago, but I cannot even let my kids walk or ride their bikes in the neighborhood without me. Their friends parents say the same thing. The population here in this town has swelled to over 110,000! I want to preface my next comment by saying that my husband was born in Puerto Rico (raised in NY), my children are half Puerto Rican, but I am looking forward to moving to a community where English is the primary language! And you know what? Just reading these posts makes me realize how kind and helpful people from NC are. It's difficult to come across that in SoFL because people are just in too much of a hurry and totally disinterested!

Thanks again!

Old 10-01-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Reidsville

You're most welcome. Horses are very much herd creatures and there are precious few who are content to stay alone. The rule of thumb is 2 *usable* acres per horse. That's grazeable acres, not woods or land that is taken up by the house. BTW, there are trees, or leaves thereof that are absolutely deadly to horses. Not trying to scare you, just insure that you're aware. 3.5 acres could work for two horses, depending upon the viability of pasture (you will still need to supplement with grain and hay year round) but it is more work in terms of pasture rotation and management and parasite control. Parasites are the leading cause of colic in horses and colic is the leading killer of horses. Safely maintaining 2 horses, ( or one horse and a babysitter goat or pony) can be done on 3.5 acres for a maximum of 2 horses, but again it takes more cognizance and work. Feel free to contact me privately for more information. Click on my member user name and a drop down box will appear and you can send me a private e-mail.

So glad that your daughter has enjoyed her riding lessons and that you're thinking of getting a horse or two. Best thing my parents ever did for me! Kept me out of a lot of *boyfriend* trouble and teen age angst. I was much too involved in a love affair with horses to bother with the rest of that stuff!

As far as obtaining your real estate license in NC, that can be done too, but a new law has passed that all Real Estate agents must obtain a Brokers license within either two or 3 years ( I've forgotten which) of passing the test for and being granted a conditional real estate license. Hopefully Leighbe will step in here and explain the process since she is Realtor who seems to understand it.

I'm not one Best wishes with your closing and enjoy Reidsville!

Regards,

Cassie

Quote:
Thank you, Cassie.

Yes, we are looking for peace and quiet! My 10 year old daughter has been taking riding lessons for a couple of years, so we are looking forward to getting a horse or two. Our soon-to-home has a small stable and fenced riding ring. I really believe it will be a wonderful change for my kids and a very positive move to get them away from the hectic pace and let them be kids for a change. The town we are moving from was touted as a "great place to raise kids" when we moved here twelve years ago, but I cannot even let my kids walk or ride their bikes in the neighborhood without me. Their friends parents say the same thing. The population here in this town has swelled to over 110,000! I want to preface my next comment by saying that my husband was born in Puerto Rico (raised in NY), my children are half Puerto Rican, but I am looking forward to moving to a community where English is the primary language! And you know what? Just reading these posts makes me realize how kind and helpful people from NC are. It's difficult to come across that in SoFL because people are just in too much of a hurry and totally disinterested!

Thanks again!

Last edited by Cassie; 10-01-2006 at 09:01 PM..

Old 10-01-2006, 09:07 PM

Great information, Cassie! I'm not quite sure how much of our land is pasture, but it seems to be pretty large. When we are finally moved, I would love to contact you and get more info, if you don't mind. I would also like to get a goat, as the previous owners have two, but I don't know too much about them. They seem really sweet, though. I might also need the info on your dentist friends, as my 12 year old son is half-way through his orthodontic treatment! I cannot wait to be somewhere cooler and see the leaves change.

Again, thank you and any other info you have I would be happy to receive!

Old 10-01-2006, 09:16 PM

Default Reidsville

Quote:
Great information, Cassie! I'm not quite sure how much of our land is pasture, but it seems to be pretty large. When we are finally moved, I would love to contact you and get more info, if you don't mind. I would also like to get a goat, as the previous owners have two, but I don't know too much about them. They seem really sweet, though. I might also need the info on your dentist friends, as my 12 year old son is half-way through his orthodontic treatment! I cannot wait to be somewhere cooler and see the leaves change.

Again, thank you and any other info you have I would be happy to receive!
Feel free to contact me after you're settled in. Goats are cute and can make great horse babysitters, but some can also be quite mischievous and terrific little escape artists. They are wonderful for cleaning up stuff in a pasture that horses won't eat though, as well as a great horse babysitter, depending upon the goat.

Anyway, after your closing, and after you're settled in, feel free to contact me.

Best wishes,

Cassie

Old 12-12-2007, 09:17 PM

33 posts, read 36,861 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Hi my Daughter was raised in Hollywood Fl and used to work in Coral Springs and now lives in Reidsville Nc. She has two Young daughters and loves it there.Her name is Michelle and she works at the Reidsville Walmart.Drop in and see her sometime.Hope you enjoy it there,i do when i visit.Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point