Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think metros with a million people and one or two sizable cities are enough. And the cities don't have to be big like Atlanta, Houston, Boston, ect.
You do know those 3 cities are very large and have well over a million per metro, right?

List of Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boston is the 5th LARGEST CSA in the nation with over 7 million. Houston is 9th with over 6 million. Atlanta is 10th with over 5 million.

Charlotte is 20th with over 2 million. Raleigh is 27th with over a million. WS/GSO is 31st with over a million. HUGE difference between these 3 CSA's and the 3 above you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Its hard to believe that only metros with 2 million or more can support a trendy home decor store with low price products. I guess Swedish companies have a different mindset from American companies. Garden Ridge Home Decor store in Greensboro is bigger than the home decor section of the IKEA store in Charlotte and the prices are about the same.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:29 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
I think it's safe to say that IKEA has a pretty solid handle on this. They're a global company with presence in a few dozen countries and tens of billions in revenue, but they have fewer than 300 stores. They identify population hubs, keeping in mind that people will travel for occasional IKEA fixes, and plop down a massive store that they set up as an experience/destination. Ever tried to pop into IKEA to just grab a few things? It's not really conducive to that.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Its hard to believe that only metros with 2 million or more can support a trendy home decor store with low price products. I guess Swedish companies have a different mindset from American companies. Garden Ridge Home Decor store in Greensboro is bigger than the home decor section of the IKEA store in Charlotte and the prices are about the same.
Garden Ridge is a bloated Big Lots without the variety.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Well, Ikea is making money around the world and expanding even as the world's economy is in the toilet. So they must have figured out something without your help. If Ikea start's plopping stores everywhere like Walmart then their business model goes in the toilet. What they are doing has worked for them for years. So who are you to question them?

And comparing Garden Ridge to Ikea is like comparing donuts to batteries. They have absolutely nothing in common. Garden Ridge is full of CRAP. Cheap CRAP from China. Ikea's stuff is inexpensive for the most part, but very little is made in China. And I've had way better luck with my Ikea purchases than my Garden Ridge purchases.

In case you hadn't noticed, Ikea doesn't focus on home decor. They focus on furniture and home in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I think it's safe to say that IKEA has a pretty solid handle on this. They're a global company with presence in a few dozen countries and tens of billions in revenue, but they have fewer than 300 stores. They identify population hubs, keeping in mind that people will travel for occasional IKEA fixes, and plop down a massive store that they set up as an experience/destination. Ever tried to pop into IKEA to just grab a few things? It's not really conducive to that.
Exactly. People go once in awhile not every week like Target. If you plan on less than a few hours - even if you know exactly what you're going there for - you'll never do it. You're better off planning making a day out of it and be thrilled if you make it out of there before your hair turns grey. The lines at the register are usually 1/2 a mile long and can take almost as long as the tour you went on to find your items.

And yes I did once pop in for a few items. Knew exactly what I wanted and where it was located. Still took well over an hour. Took me almost half an hour just to check out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Garden Ridge is a bloated Big Lots without the variety.
You're being far too kind! Big Lots is better than Garden Ridge. At least, they don't try to pretend they're something better than they are.

Last edited by ss20ts; 01-09-2013 at 05:18 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

You're being far too kind! Big lots is better than Garden Ridge. At least, they don't try to pretend they're something better than they are.
Good point.
Garden Ridge used to be a nice home decor chain.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Good point.
Garden Ridge used to be a nice home decor chain.
It wasn't always the dive that it is? That's sad! I've only been to the Concord one and vowed to never set foot in one ever again. The dollar store is right on par with what that store was like. Messy, stinky, and really cheap crap. Lots of broken things all over the store....really inspired me to buy stuff! LOL

I actually thought it was a garden store and was really excited to go to it. Then I went inside.......talk about disappointment!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:25 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Quote:
Well, Ikea is making money around the world and expanding even as the world's economy is in the toilet. So they must have figured out something without your help. If Ikea start's plopping stores everywhere like Walmart then their business model goes in the toilet. What they are doing has worked for them for years. So who are you to question them?

And comparing Garden Ridge to Ikea is like comparing donuts to batteries. They have absolutely nothing in common. Garden Ridge is full of CRAP. Cheap CRAP from China. Ikea's stuff is inexpensive for the most part, but very little is made in China. And I've had way better luck with my Ikea purchases than my Garden Ridge purchases.

In case you hadn't noticed, Ikea doesn't focus on home decor. They focus on furniture and home in general.

Exactly. People go once in awhile not every week like Target. If you plan on less than a few hours - even if you know exactly what you're going there for - you'll never do it. You're better off planning making a day out of it and be thrilled if you make it out of there before your hair turns grey. The lines at the register are usually 1/2 a mile long and can take almost as long as the tour you went on to find your items.

And yes I did once pop in for a few items. Knew exactly what I wanted and where it was located. Still took well over an hour. Took me almost half an hour just to check out!

You're being far too kind! Big Lots is better than Garden Ridge. At least, they don't try to pretend they're something better than they are.
When I was comparing IKEA with Garden Ridge, I was talking about prices, not products. Since IKEA has better products for the same prices, IKEA should do quite well in the Triad

Old 01-10-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
It wasn't always the dive that it is? That's sad! I've only been to the Concord one and vowed to never set foot in one ever again. The dollar store is right on par with what that store was like. Messy, stinky, and really cheap crap. Lots of broken things all over the store....really inspired me to buy stuff! LOL

I actually thought it was a garden store and was really excited to go to it. Then I went inside.......talk about disappointment!
Shockingly it wasn't, when GR opened shop in Gboro it had departments with real people. There was a floral department where arrangements were made or you could have one made. Custom picture framing, a real customer service counter, and even a snack bar.
What happened to the place is beyond me, GR won't even spend the money to maintain outside appearance.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Shockingly it wasn't, when GR opened shop in Gboro it had departments with real people. There was a floral department where arrangements were made or you could have one made. Custom picture framing, a real customer service counter, and even a snack bar.
What happened to the place is beyond me, GR won't even spend the money to maintain outside appearance.
HOLY COW!!!! That is NOT the same store! Sounds like it used to be something decent at a minimum. Now, calling it a dive is being kind. When Dollar General starts looking like a JCPenney next to your store, that's pathetic! Wonder how long GR will stick around with the way they'vee gone down hill.

I wondered why on earth it was called Garden Ridge since it wasn't gardeny at all. Just crappy. Now this explains it all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point