Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times

Advertisements

I am researching a few cities to move to in the next year and Winston-Salem really seems to offer a lot with a nice location, arts, etc. A friend of mine lived there and was in love with the city.

Can anyone tell me how many mechanical engineering jobs exist within the auto industry in or near WS? We are looking for auto parts manufacturing or related white collar auto jobs. An engineering job search site led me to look at WS, and I see a lot of jobs posted for parts manufacturing in the Aerospace industry - what about cars? Many of the jobs are posted through recruiters, so it is hard to get a feel for the actual companies they are recruiting for.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:03 AM

Also, is there a good MLS search site for WS other than Trulia, Realtor.com and Zillow? Those sites are often inaccurate with outdated info.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Can anyone tell me how many mechanical engineering jobs exist within the auto industry in or near WS?
I wasn't aware there was an auto industry in or near WS.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Volvo Truck has a facility near the Piedmont Triad Airport. It's in Guilford County. You're probably already aware that there is quite a concentration of auto-related jobs in the Greenville-Spartanburg (SC) area.... 3+ hours from Winston-Salem.

Prudential Carolinas Realty always has current local MLS info.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM

322 posts, read 666,836 times
My dad worked for years at White GMC/Volvo in Kernersville, which is a bedroom community to Winston-Salem, in the parts department. You might check there. It was mostly for trucks, but sounds like in your area of interest. To my knowledge, there is no auto manufacturing outright in the Triad....North Carolina does not have a major auto manufacturing employer such as BMW in South Carolina, Mercedes in Alabama, or GM in Tennessee.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the info. I will check those areas out.

How about B/E Aerospace in W/S? Are they a well-established and stable company with a good future?

Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 PM

322 posts, read 666,836 times
Yes, BE Aerospace is very stable. In fact, just today, it posted record profits for 2012. It employs at or over 1100 in Winston-Salem, and just recently won new contracts for airplane overhauls in the millions, which would affect work being done in Winston-Salem. BE Aerospace is aviation related work, not auto, just a reminder.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM

Thanks wsn. Great help!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,791 times
Caterpillar has some parts facility in the area too. I never visited it because I left before we deployed there but when you're searching for auto - I'd recommend including heavy machinery companies - Volvo Construction Equipment, Caterpillar into the mix.

As someone else posted, the North America HQ for Volvo (not cars we sold that to Ford back in '99) is located in Greensboro just off of I-40. They have their test track here for new trucks but it's more fun to drive them in Gothenburg. Divisions / Companies of Volvo AB located in Greensboro: Volvo Truck North America, Volvo Construction Equipment, Mack Trucks, Volvo Penta (Boats) and Volvo Parts which just got absorbed by the other companies.

Also Honda Jet has some sort of facility by the GSO airport.

No specific info on specific jobs. I've heard Volvo is hard to get into and the process might be slow but that wasn't my experience so worth a shot.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 PM

Thanks Mystery. I am adding those places to my list to look into. Your help is priceless. Thanks again!

We are also looking closely at Greensboro and considering living in the route 40 region between there and W/S. I am assuming there is a lot of flight traffic in that western area of Greensboro due to the airport?

Last edited by L0ve; 02-01-2013 at 04:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point