Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,275 times

Advertisements

How much should it cost per square foot to build a high end home ie; Granite counters, tile showers, hardwood floors, custom cabinets, 10 ft cielings, in Winston Salem, NC?

Home only, we own the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:22 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,537,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneGuy View Post
How much should it cost per square foot to build a high end home ie; Granite counters, tile showers, hardwood floors, custom cabinets, 10 ft cielings, in Winston Salem, NC?

Wouldn't this info be better coming from contractor estimates? Any responses here will be very generalized and greatly skewed by square footage, type and quality of materials.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:48 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,622,201 times
Yeah, would need a lot more info. For a truly custom home, design and engineering will be quite a bit. Price per sq ft will vary widely depending on the size of the home - are you talking 2,000 sq ft? 3,000? 5,000?

Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 PM

13,361 posts, read 26,927,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneGuy View Post

One way to guestimate is to find a new construction house built in 2012 or 2013 using a real estate listing service like Zillow or Trulia. Then look up the assessed value of the house and land on your county's property tax system. Subtract out the value of the land (or the sale price of the land if available), and that's the price the builder is charging.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 AM

4,193 posts, read 6,877,846 times
Prices like this will vary a lot. Heck, hardwoods, granite, tile, cabinets all come in a wide range of prices where the low to mid grade can be half the cost of the higher end items. Vinyl siding? hardy-board? Concrete? Wood? Brick? Stone? Insulation values only meeting building codes or exceeding to save on energy costs? Standard "off-the-shelf" type window openings or custom fenestration and glazing options?

The details are what really drive the price up more than hardwood vs carpet to be honest.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,622,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Prices like this will vary a lot. Heck, hardwoods, granite, tile, cabinets all come in a wide range of prices where the low to mid grade can be half the cost of the higher end items. Vinyl siding? hardy-board? Concrete? Wood? Brick? Stone? Insulation values only meeting building codes or exceeding to save on energy costs? Standard "off-the-shelf" type window openings or custom fenestration and glazing options?

The details are what really drive the price up more than hardwood vs carpet to be honest.
I would think OP would want all brick and/or stone for a "high end" home. I would want better than code-grade insulation, custom windows, solid interior doors, etc.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:44 PM

4,193 posts, read 6,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I would think OP would want all brick and/or stone for a "high end" home. I would want better than code-grade insulation, custom windows, solid interior doors, etc.
Depends on their architectural style.

But yes, I agree 100%. I would want those types of items too. My point was that I am not sure if the OP was thinking of all those. I have run across people in more than one instance that were focused on getting good quality on some of the spotlight finishes (floors, counters, cabinets, etc.) and considered that "high-end" but didn't have the know-how to think about all the other items. And, in my limited experience, those are the items that really add up. Is it truly custom? Engineering costs get expensive. All the details add more to the cost than installing a decent hardwood. However, all the OP listed were finishes. That's the only reason I listed that stuff

Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,537,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post

Even the high end stuff can have a wide range in prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point