Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,230 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I currently live in California and having serious thoughts about moving to North Carolina's Triad area or the triangle area. I've never been nor do I know 1 single living soul there. However I've heard a lot of great things and the place interests me. If all goes well I'll be coming around late spring in 08" and buying a home.
I've been away from Human Resources for about 3 years but that is my basic line of work although I've done other things. My specialty was Safety Coordinator, Benefits Manager, Employee Relations. Most of all I enjoy training and that would be the area I desire most in the hr field.
There are some very sad, disappointing life changes going on here so I will be coming alone. I plan on coming to visit the area soon to get connected with real estate agents and employment placement services.
I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone could give me a little insight on the areas and employment info.
Thanks!

Last edited by big al in cali; 11-05-2007 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 08:23 AM

525 posts, read 2,124,204 times
There are tons of places in the area for you to apply if you have HR experience- they were recently hiring HR personnel at Volvo (my wife used to work there so she has connections) but I am not sure if the positions have been filled. Plus Hondajet is coming, Dell is here and FedEx is coming.

Come to the Greensboro- it's flat out gorgeous here right now with the trees turning and the leaves falling.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,584,774 times
Greensboro is a beautiful city with many parks, gardens and greenways. Also check out the downtown area. Downtown has a bustling nightlife and there are alot of condos and apartments popping up downtown. Greensboro is about midway between Charlotte and Raleigh on I-85 so its a great location.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:15 PM

109 posts, read 391,449 times
I lived in Greensboro most of my life. I have been in Charlotte for
over a year. Greensboro has a great quality of life and I hope to
live there again.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 PM

19 posts, read 18,720 times
It somewhat depends from where in CA you are coming, though generally I would say that you'd find the Triangle area a more natural transition. It is slightly larger with a much larger main focus city, has several major universities and a more liberal and off beat vibe resulting from that, as well as a much larger and faster growing labor market, which makes an HR person quite busy. Great cultural and ethnic diversity as well which makes for good eating as well as other intangible benefits. A solid arts and cultural scene also, great college sports atmosphere probably only paralleled in California ironically.

All that said though, I'd personally choose the Triad for many subtle reasons. Difficult to verbalize why, it is more or less comparable to the Triangle with a few exceptions, one of those important to you being the economic growth. In national terms the Triad is doing well and growing at a good clip, though nothing to match the Triangle. As noted, recent developments may change that, but probably not for another 5 to 10 years.

Any particular reason Charlotte is not on your radar?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:51 AM

109 posts, read 391,449 times
Keep your eye on Greensboro and the triad.
And by the way, there are more universities and colleges there.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:52 PM

8 posts, read 37,414 times
Hi! We just relocated here, somewhat on a whim, from Ohio and we LOVE it! We live in Winston-Salem and have enjoyed the arts flavor here and the fact that there are SOOOO many transplants. I think that's one thing that helps everyone be so friendly (that and good ol' Southern Hospitality). So many people have moved recently, so they understand what we're going through.

Let me know if I can be of any help, having just moved I know what you're going through!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point