Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:23 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times

Advertisements

demolition to begin for phase 2 of Greenway at Fisher Park Apartments. The second phase will be called The Greenway at Stadium Park and will be built next to the downtown ballpark overlooking the field. The Greenway at Fisher Park apartments is 100% leased which is rare for any apartment complex in Greensboro. CityView is above 95% leased which is evidence there is high demand for downtown apartments. Most apartments through out the city are around 85% leased.

Developer to clear way for new apartments in downtown Greensboro - News-Record.com: Local News

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blo...rth-state.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
I would rather see condos built for people to make a real investment into, but at least the NS eyesore will be gone.
You think anyone will get a window broken?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 AM

32 posts, read 48,878 times
The most serious problem with both the so dubbed 'Greenway' and 'Cityview' developments is that they are on going developments that were already too large in their foot prints from the get go. All Greensboro is getting for many generations to come are housing projects at those locations.

I can envision posters on some like forum in the year 2189 expressing gratitude on hearing/reading that those eyesores are being torn down.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FencePost View Post
The most serious problem with both the so dubbed 'Greenway' and 'Cityview' developments is that they are on going developments that were already too large in their foot prints from the get go. All Greensboro is getting for many generations to come are housing projects at those locations.

I can envision posters on some like forum in the year 2189 expressing gratitude on hearing/reading that those eyesores are being torn down.

Greensboro would probably have a new baseball stadium by then built in the suburbs haha

Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FencePost View Post

Assuming the growth and investment slows or stops. Also assuming they aren't at some point converted to condos.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Assuming the growth and investment slows or stops. Also assuming they aren't at some point converted to condos.
a lot also depends on what happens with property values in the future. As long as downtown remains the happening place to be, I wouldn't worry about CityView or Greenway turning into housing projects but who knows, if some leaders keep pushing for the airport area (downtown Triad) to be the center of it all, we could see another cycle of a downtown decline.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
a lot also depends on what happens with property values in the future. As long as downtown remains the happening place to be, I wouldn't worry about CityView or Greenway turning into housing projects but who knows, if some leaders keep pushing for the airport area (downtown Triad) to be the center of it all, we could see another cycle of a downtown decline.
Kind of what I was getting at, but I can't see the airport area becoming a mecca to live especially after the debacle of the new runway.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:46 PM

32 posts, read 48,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
You missed my point. Whether they are lived in by yuppies or the poor, they are nothing more than block after block of the same ugly boxes, all alike. Who really wants to put anything really nice next to that stuff? From what I've read, GSO has aspirations with visions of quality architecture to be used for the center of town. Well, these two residential developments couldn't be anymore plain and vanilla than a typical new post office building.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:32 PM

Developers don't typically get it right when it comes to the architecture of new buildings in downtown Greensboro. I think the ballpark could have been designed better. Poor or "ordinary" architecture is usually the result of budget restraints. I wish developers would follow a universal design guide. I do agree that cityview and greenway wont win any architectural awards. They are basically the same buildings with the same floor plans. just some slight external differences. Its not surprising considering the same architect designed both. When cityview first opened, the city said the buildings violated code with the second floor balconies over the city sidewalks. So to solve the problem, the developers bolted rails against the patio doors and that looks awful. When the developers built the next phase, they didnt redesign the new building so the second floor could have balconies. Instead they did the same thing. As far as Greenway, I dont like how the buildings are laid out. There is too mush visible parking. I would have lined the buildings along the streets creating a donut with the parking lot inside. They forced the buildings onto the site instead of designing the buildings for the site. Despite all this people love living at cityview and greenway. I guess there is something cool about living downtown.

you can see the rails bolted to the doors
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nsboro,_NC.jpg

maybe the Greenway at Fisher Park should have looked more like this

http://lexington.saintclassified.com...ne-859-ad-5267

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-22-2013 at 12:02 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Developers design & build what the demographic will sustain, it's about making money. What is being said here is essentially true for every apartment complex built in Greensboro, probably the triad, since the 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point