Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 10:16 PM

21 posts, read 29,909 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm sure this has been touched on before but I can't find it!

We are a family of four with two young boys, wanting to get out of the big city of Atlanta (we live in EAV near Decatur) and find somewhere quieter and possibly closer to home. Right now we are looking at some spots in Tennessee, a few smaller places in Georgia, and Winston Salem/Hickory/Kernersville. The latter is close to both sides of our family, so it holds additional appeal.

Although I grew up in NC I'm not familiar with Winston Salem at all. Can you help?

We are looking for a community (not a subdivision, just to clarify), that attracts a lot of families. The usual family things- good schools, parks, etc. We prefer the town vibe to the suburb life as we don't do a lot of shopping (except for target!), and we don't go to a lot of major restaurants (and with two toddlers we don't go anywhere that has a 'wait' - haha). We are pretty artsy/outdoorsy/crunchy and spend our time now doing brunch at local restaurants, in our neighborhood church, at festivals, at the farmer's market (which I understand the triad has a stellar one!), at parks, biking/walks/hiking, going to the pool/lake, etc. We are pretty outdoorsy, but not anything hardcore. We just like to be outside and would love for the boys to grow up enjoying the outdoors, and be connected to a strong family community.

My question is what is the 'vibe' of Winston Salem? Are people pretty outgoing and active in the community? What types of things do families with small children do? Is there a homeschooling community in the area? Based on the description above, would we fit in to the area? We are attracted to places like Chattanooga, TN b/c of the strong outdoorsy culture and welcoming small-town vibe, but aren't sure if that is also in NC in the lake/mountain areas.

Any info or guidance would be appreciated. We would consider looking to the West of Winston salem or closer to charlotte (closer to family), but not east as that would be too far from my inlaws, which defeats the purpose of this big move

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 PM

152 posts, read 247,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theswirvings View Post
Hello! I'm sure this has been touched on before but I can't find it!

We are a family of four with two young boys, wanting to get out of the big city of Atlanta (we live in EAV near Decatur) and find somewhere quieter and possibly closer to home. Right now we are looking at some spots in Tennessee, a few smaller places in Georgia, and Winston Salem/Hickory/Kernersville. The latter is close to both sides of our family, so it holds additional appeal.

Although I grew up in NC I'm not familiar with Winston Salem at all. Can you help?

We are looking for a community (not a subdivision, just to clarify), that attracts a lot of families. The usual family things- good schools, parks, etc. We prefer the town vibe to the suburb life as we don't do a lot of shopping (except for target!), and we don't go to a lot of major restaurants (and with two toddlers we don't go anywhere that has a 'wait' - haha). We are pretty artsy/outdoorsy/crunchy and spend our time now doing brunch at local restaurants, in our neighborhood church, at festivals, at the farmer's market (which I understand the triad has a stellar one!), at parks, biking/walks/hiking, going to the pool/lake, etc. We are pretty outdoorsy, but not anything hardcore. We just like to be outside and would love for the boys to grow up enjoying the outdoors, and be connected to a strong family community.

My question is what is the 'vibe' of Winston Salem? Are people pretty outgoing and active in the community? What types of things do families with small children do? Is there a homeschooling community in the area? Based on the description above, would we fit in to the area? We are attracted to places like Chattanooga, TN b/c of the strong outdoorsy culture and welcoming small-town vibe, but aren't sure if that is also in NC in the lake/mountain areas.

Any info or guidance would be appreciated. We would consider looking to the West of Winston salem or closer to charlotte (closer to family), but not east as that would be too far from my inlaws, which defeats the purpose of this big move

THANKS!
We're in Fla, moving in 2 years. Kids will be in college but we're too young to retire. Tired of FL all our life and want seasons but not brutal winter. Would also like to be within a days drive of west coast FL. I can't speak for W-S but looking into it and Greenville, SC and Charlotte. Think Asheville, though beautiful is too artsy and laid back. We have friends in Chatt, TN and they love it! We took kids on the Ocoee last summer, went to the super nice downtown area/Aquarium is fantastic! Everyone is very nice. Not sure about jobs, though VW & Amazon are there. Good schools in Ooltewah. Many moving there because of low cost of living. No state tax but higher sales tax. It's a booming area, kid friendly and plenty to do! All good but my gf said, they've had the most rain this year than any other year she can remember. Raining since Jan. hmm. A lot of rain in the last month. Just a thought and I saw you mentioned Chattanooga. Good luck! To both of us finding a happy place.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlmom View Post
We're in Fla, moving in 2 years. Kids will be in college but we're too young to retire. Tired of FL all our life and want seasons but not brutal winter. Would also like to be within a days drive of west coast FL. I can't speak for W-S but looking into it and Greenville, SC and Charlotte. Think Asheville, though beautiful is too artsy and laid back. We have friends in Chatt, TN and they love it! We took kids on the Ocoee last summer, went to the super nice downtown area/Aquarium is fantastic! Everyone is very nice. Not sure about jobs, though VW & Amazon are there. Good schools in Ooltewah. Many moving there because of low cost of living. No state tax but higher sales tax. It's a booming area, kid friendly and plenty to do! All good but my gf said, they've had the most rain this year than any other year she can remember. Raining since Jan. hmm. A lot of rain in the last month. Just a thought and I saw you mentioned Chattanooga. Good luck! To both of us finding a happy place.
Thank you for the help, and yes good luck to you!

Old 07-21-2013, 04:35 PM

185 posts, read 422,787 times
Hi - I posted a question regarding WS & GBO also, but only one answer so far as well. When I was considering Charlotte, there was a TON of action on the boards and lots of varied advice - the Triad board, however seems to have a lot less action. In a way, I view this as a positive because the Triangle and Charlotte are so overrun with transplants that they have grown too fast, so I feel better about making my own life and decision by looking in the Triad (I'm not just following the masses!) My husband and I are semi-retired with teens, so we will still work, but not in carreer type jobs to pay a mortgage. Based upon my research, I think you would like Clemmons - I am looking there due to the closeness to WS, but also has a great park(Tanglewood-google it) We have 2 dogs and like to be outside as well & no cookie cutter subdivisions.

We are going to look in the beginning of August at NWGreensboro, WS, Kernersville, Clemmons. When I get back I will post my relocation perspective so you can get an idea....maybe it will help!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,139 times
Our family is much happier now that we moved to the Ardmore neighborhood in Winston-Salem. I highly recommend researching Ardmore if you end up in Winston-Salem. It is an older neighborhood, so many of the homes have either been updated or need to be updated. I personally love the charm of older homes and like it much better than a new subdivision. I have developed relationships with many people in our neighborhood and have also found it to be easy to meet families at Miller Park. Clemmons is a great town, but I personally enjoy living in a more urban neighborhood. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:39 AM

185 posts, read 422,787 times
enlightenme - ITA - at least online I LOVED the older homes in the Ardmore area, even though I think the heart of it is a little out of my price range, I would DEFINITELY grab a fixer - my husband is a carpenter- and I loved the location
The big question that bugs me is the High School designation. I am surprised that the location feeds to a poorly rated HS, when the ES is good...Is there something I am missing?

Old 07-23-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Our family is much happier now that we moved to the Ardmore neighborhood in Winston-Salem. I highly recommend researching Ardmore if you end up in Winston-Salem. It is an older neighborhood, so many of the homes have either been updated or need to be updated. I personally love the charm of older homes and like it much better than a new subdivision. I have developed relationships with many people in our neighborhood and have also found it to be easy to meet families at Miller Park. Clemmons is a great town, but I personally enjoy living in a more urban neighborhood. Good luck!
Thank you- we are looking into it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point