Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,222,091 times

Advertisements

I agree. While I think the economic success of Charlotte and the Triangle over the past 20 years has been great, the Triad deserves a chance now and it needs it more than those two areas. Why not have three economic powerhouses in the state, Charlotte, the Triangle and the Triad. Greensboro has been over shawdowed by Charlotte and Raleigh for years and Id like the see Greensboro on the same playing field and attract the kind of jobs, businesses, upscale retail and urban development those two cities have been seeing for a while now. Boeing would be a big step in that direction. It would help set the pace for future business growth and development in the Triad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 01:22 PM

536 posts, read 830,008 times
Surprised to see none of the NC sites got picked. I thought for sure NC would get it.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
Surprised to see none of the NC sites got picked. I thought for sure NC would get it.
Were you just hoping NC would get it or did you seriously think NC had a shot?

This project will remain in Washington state. NC, nor most other states for that matter, can't come close to matching the incentives offered or their skilled workforce.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:30 AM

536 posts, read 830,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Were you just hoping NC would get it or did you seriously think NC had a shot?

This project will remain in Washington state. NC, nor most other states for that matter, can't come close to matching the incentives offered or their skilled workforce.
Yeah what I meant was that if it were to leave Washington state I thought that NC had a shot. I have no ties to NC and have no personal interest in it nor any plans to ever work for Boeing. Just commenting!

Old 12-22-2013, 10:22 AM

NC would be one of the best locations but it looks like Boeing is more interested in incentives. The political landscape in NC is going to have to change before we can get serious about attracting companies here....but at least Greensboro still has Hondajet

Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
NC would be one of the best locations but it looks like Boeing is more interested in incentives. The political landscape in NC is going to have to change before we can get serious about attracting companies here....but at least Greensboro still has Hondajet
How can you say that without knowing exactly what NC offered in incentives and before Boeing has even made a final selection? Many of the sites still in contention have workforces that are much better suited than any of the NC cities for this type of work.

And how can you seriously say that "political landscape in NC is going to have to change before we can get serious about attracting companies here"? NC has been serious about this for several decades now; that's why it is home to several F500 company headquarters and significant operations for several other notable companies, much more so than states that have made generous tax incentives their most important tool in economic development like SC and AL. Incentives have their place, but NC has historically gotten it right by focusing first and foremost on an educated workforce and ensuring that incentives result in an appropriate ROI.

Just because you don't win them all doesn't mean you need to significantly alter the strategy that has obviously worked and payed dividends up to this point.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:57 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
How can you say that without knowing exactly what NC offered in incentives and before Boeing has even made a final selection? Many of the sites still in contention have workforces that are much better suited than any of the NC cities for this type of work.

And how can you seriously say that "political landscape in NC is going to have to change before we can get serious about attracting companies here"? NC has been serious about this for several decades now; that's why it is home to several F500 company headquarters and significant operations for several other notable companies, much more so than states that have made generous tax incentives their most important tool in economic development like SC and AL. Incentives have their place, but NC has historically gotten it right by focusing first and foremost on an educated workforce and ensuring that incentives result in an appropriate ROI.

Just because you don't win them all doesn't mean you need to significantly alter the strategy that has obviously worked and payed dividends up to this point.
Good point.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:

states are offering over a billion dollars in incentives. It would be a tall order for the NC GOP to offer even 200 million. PTI has an educated work force for this type of work, otherwise HondaJet wouldnt be here. GTCC has an aviation campus that has aviation manufacturing programs. I think in Boeing's case it was all about the money. Any of the sites in all honestly would be suitable.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:43 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
states are offering over a billion dollars in incentives. It would be a tall order for the NC GOP to offer even 200 million. PTI has an educated work force for this type of work, otherwise HondaJet wouldnt be here. GTCC has an aviation campus that has aviation manufacturing programs. I think in Boeing's case it was all about the money. Any of the sites in all honestly would be suitable.
Thinking back to the Mercedes location search I'm glad NC folded when they did. I feel there is such a thing as going too far when offering incentives. At some point there has to be a question if the incentive benefit will really pay off.
As I have said before I would much rather see PTI moving people in & out rather than just empty airplanes.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
It's not just about having an aviation presence and training programs, but about the depth of the talent pool as well as geographical considerations as far as logistics go. With that in mind, to say that any of the sites would be suitable is very incorrect and entirely too boosterish--assuming you mean any of the proposed NC sites. I mean you'd have to at least concede the fact that GTP is about as undesirable a location for an eco-devo project of this magnitude as you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point