Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:52 AM

122 posts, read 200,271 times

Advertisements

McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc have basically had the same menu for decades. However, everyone in front of me at a fast food restaurant always stands at the counter as if they're trying to determine the best way to unravel quantitative easing.

Why do people in the Triad have such difficulties making decisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Most don't have an idea of what they really want after they choose the place to stop and eat.
I never know what I want at a restaurant until I sit down and look at the menu.
I don't eat fast food though so that is never an issue with me.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Most don't have an idea of what they really want after they choose the place to stop and eat.
I never know what I want at a restaurant until I sit down and look at the menu.
I don't eat fast food though so that is never an issue with me.
That's different and understandable. A full service restaurant has much more diverse menu, and many full service restaurants change their selections frequently. How long does one need to decide between chicken nuggets or chicken strips at Chick Fil-A?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:18 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
The problem is lack of the ability to think conceptually or abstractly or to project past experience into the presence and future. Many folks in NC, for a variety of reasons, are concrete thinkers. They have trouble equating symbols, variables, actually, anything, to something that is real, concrete.

Therefore, when they go to a fast food place, all the adverts and signs (symbols) don't translate to "things that can be ordered" until they can see them and taste them and smell them. Then some level of association takes place.

I wish this were just a NC thing, but it is pretty universal. It is really pretty pitiful.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:13 PM

@LLN

I mostly agree with you. While I acknowledge the problem is prevalent outside of NC, it's not nearly as bad in other cities and states I've lived or spent extensive time, such as NYC, DC, CT or Suburban Detroit.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
Dude, you're in the South...slow down!

Old 01-04-2014, 05:16 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorofsynsky View Post
@LLN

I mostly agree with you. While I acknowledge the problem is prevalent outside of NC, it's not nearly as bad in other cities and states I've lived or spent extensive time, such as NYC, DC, CT or Suburban Detroit.
Maybe these other places you spent extensive time in the fast food consumer is dead pan and they order the same thing each time at that establishment, whereas the people you are bitchin' about eat something different.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:25 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,126 times
That is quite the sweeping generalization.

OP won't have that problem at Stamey's.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:56 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times
Maybe they eat there all the time because it is cheap, but are tired of the menu, and trying to decide what they "have not had too recently"

My favorite experience is when the fast food place has a billboard on display with all of the calorie counts for every item and condiment.... but the person in front of me has to ask the people at the registers "How many calories in this ... how many calories in that ... "

Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Maybe these other places you spent extensive time in the fast food consumer is dead pan and they order the same thing each time at that establishment, whereas the people you are bitchin' about eat something different.
I don't think that is the answer because Triad residents also have trouble making decision at traffic intersections.

I think the poster above's idea that Greensboro residents lack the mental faculties to process information quickly is the answer. The question is whether it is due to poor schools or genetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point