Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:03 PM

74 posts, read 101,040 times

Advertisements

gsoboi...you are right...you have to have political powers that support light rail or trolleys...our Mayor (Pat McCrory)...is 1000% supportive of Light Rail...and you also have to have local people that will support it...it was put in from of us voters (Mecklenburg County residents only)...and 70% wanted and supported Light Rail here in Charlotte...I was even shocked at that number...but have you seen the traffic here in Charlotte...triple GSO traffic and you might come close...and you also have to have density for train ridership...that will come in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 12:36 PM

140 posts, read 607,732 times
"Streetcars," Trolleys," "existing Rail Lines," "Light Rail," "commuter rail," -- can someone define these terms please. Looking to relocate to a nice small walking town with a Main Street for local shopping. I love the idea of an old time trolley running through town, but after reading the posts, I am beginning to get confused. I am aware that some means of public transportation needs to be modernized, but I think a trolley would also mean less cars on the streets. I agree with SPARK240 so long as the density it creates doesn't cause too much over-development. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:10 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,594,972 times
streetcars and trolley can be the same thing which is basically a rail car that travels on the streets like in San Fransisco. A trolley can also be a rail car that travels along existing freight rail lines that have been abandoned. Light Rail is similar to streetcars in that they have over head wires but light rail cars are a little faster. Light Rail lines also extends further distances than trolleys. Commuter Rail is not like a trolley at all. It has no over head wires and basically its a passenger train like Amtrak, except it only services a particular region or metro. I know it can be confusing, especially between light rail and streetcars because in many cases they look almost identicle.

here is an example of light rail (Lynx in Charlotte)

here is an example of a streetcar (in Memphis)

here is an example of commuter rail (MARTA in Atlanta)

http://www.centurygrp.com/images/thumbnail/MARTA-HiRailAccess-scan12092005webThumb.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by gsoboi; 02-18-2008 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 12:36 PM

799 posts, read 3,232,710 times
In 2007 Greensboro approved a plan for redevlopment of the South Elm street area just over the railroad tracks (a great place for a trolley station IMO) and here are some links and concerns about the redevelopment. There is an area called Brownside which has some old historical buildings that have, say, older principles, so there is some environmental issues - one was an ink press, another was an old gas station with seepage, etc.

So they have applied for a grant from the environmental protection agency (EPA) and hopefully they will get it!

South Elm Street - Housing and Community Development

Old 08-05-2008, 01:53 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,594,972 times
Thanks for the info. I also think the South Elm Street site would be great for a trolley stop. In addition I envisioned it as an entertainment complex with a movie theater, ACC Museum, restaurants and downtown amusement rides long before Issac Cain proposed his entertainment complex (Greensboro Triumph Center) which I think may be dead My vision didnt have just simulator or Childrens rides like Cain's plan. I envisoned a roller coaster! sort of like an urban amusement park. It would be a good way to attract alot of people downtown during the day on Saturday and Sunday. Nobody is really doing this now but I think its an idea we'll see cities run with in the next 10 to 15 years, that is if land values dont get to high in downtown across the country! Disney is already considering urban entertainment projects with hotels (not like Disney Quest) My idea included a trolley stop at the site at the end of South Elm Street like the way it was in the early 20th century. Trolleys always ended in amusement parks because it was the only way to increase the ridership in many communities. But it would be cool if Disney, Six Flags and others tried a new concept of mini-urban themeparks which would tie in with existing downtown attractions and nightlife. They dont have to take up 5 city blocks. It could be 1 or 2 blocks depending on how much land is available. Imagine a city with a "downtown Six Flags". It could have one or two indoor coasters, some outdoor rides, a hotel, restaurants, shops, music venue, dinner theater and other entertainment venues like comedy and nightclubs.

Last edited by gsoboi; 08-05-2008 at 02:11 PM..

Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,566,798 times
In addition to the "Lynx" Light Rail here in Charlotte...Charlotte also has 2 other Trolley systems. the "Gold Rush Trolley" that is motorized (looks like old rail cars) and is FREE and circles Uptown Charlotte daily...and also has the "Charlotte Trolley" on rail ines that travels between Uptown Charlotte and the Historic SouthEnd.

I think the Triad will get on board...you have to have density to make it work though. That is why Raleigh's was turned down...not enough density & they didn't have the money.

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 08-06-2008 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point