Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2006, 06:01 PM

49 posts, read 228,752 times

Advertisements

So far I've asked about W-S and Charlotte but now I need info on Greensboro. How does it compare to the other cities? I applied to Guilford,
Charlotte-Melckenberg, Forsyth/Winston-Salem, and Durham counties school systems for Instructional Assistant and Substitute teacher positions. Wanted to relocate as a student but finances don't permit. I'm black/African-American,near middle age, single with no kids. Can't afford to take trips to scout out all these places. Any info for a newcomer like myself is much appreciated. I'm looking for a friendlier, slower lifestyle and a real U.S./American feel to my environment. Once settled I plan to go to nursing school. So NOW its either Greensboro, W-S, Charlotte, or Durham. Should I consider Raleigh(Wake County)? PLEASE any and all feedback is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 11:27 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
I think Greensboro is a great city. Slower-paced than Raleigh, Charlotte or Durham. It has more of a small town feel to it even though it's the third largest city in NC. There are certain areas that can get crazy with the crowds and traffic (Wendover Ave., Battleground Ave., High Point Rd.), but overall it's less crowded and has less traffic problems than Raleigh, Charlotte and Durham. The other cities probably have more to do in terms of "night life", but since that's something I'm not at all interested in I can't really say more than that with any authority. lol

All the best!

Old 10-26-2006, 01:34 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
A girl I know who went to UNC Greensboro for a year said Greensboro actually has a lot of nightlife.

Why can't you afford to scout out these places? If you can't afford to do that, then you can't afford to relocate because relocation is way more involved than simply scouting out 2 or 3 cities.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
A girl I know who went to UNC Greensboro for a year said Greensboro actually has a lot of nightlife.

Why can't you afford to scout out these places? If you can't afford to do that, then you can't afford to relocate because relocation is way more involved than simply scouting out 2 or 3 cities.
How much does the average person like myself spend on relocating before actually relocating? Don't want to take away from the funds for the moving services and such. That's why this forum is so great. So much different input and experiences along with statistics, job prospects and universities
helps to narrow down the scouting out process. Then there is always a blind move but that might not be so good for a single person without contacts in the proposed areas.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
Lightten up, tarp. usagirl's point is very valid and makes perfect sense. These scouting trips add up a can really eat into her moving fund. She knows what she can/can't afford better than we do. Sure, it would be better to scout out the areas first. I would. But simple math says scouting trips + relocation = more $.

usagirl, maybe you could get some info, narrow your choices, and take a weekend and see a couple of places. Where are you coming from? There's nothing like getting the feel for yourself. I live in Concord (near Charlotte), and our county has an excellent school system, one of the best in NC. My wife teaches here and loves it. Concord's "laid-back" and has a lot to do itself, but is still convenient to Charlotte and all it has to offer (a lot more than just the bar scene). Other towns with great school systems around Charlotte are Mooresville city, Ft. Mill (SC) city, and Union County. Alamance County, near Greensboro, is nice too. My wife grew up there. There are some great areas around Raleigh as well. Suburban areas are usually a bit more affordable than the cities too. Hope this was of some help. Good luck in your search!!!

Old 10-29-2006, 07:52 PM

thanks Nikki and friendnc

Old 10-29-2006, 11:25 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
You're welcome, USAGIRL.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point