Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

N.C. Rep. Julia Howard said an announcement will be made this week regarding the opening of a plant that makes components for electronic cigarettes.
The Davie County Republican mentioned the project while the state General Assembly was discussing whether or not to add an excise tax to e-cigs. The factory, believed to be in Forsyth County, would employ about 300.

The plant will make RJR first e-cig called Vuse, it suppose to be different because it digitally infuse.
I am a vaporer and will try it just out of curiousity but I think this is a sign of bad news for independent companies in the e-cig company as I see them squeezing out the competition and not by sales by creating legislation that benefits.

Dont get me wrong I am for jobs to those unemployed but the ramifications of this product RJR legislation will be felt within 10 years.

Lastly this tax it lobbied by Reynolds America (RJR lobby group) to prove my point.
I already pay sales tax when I buy a atomizer, buy a cartomizers, buy accessories and buy the eliquid.
Where is this tax money going and I hope legislators reject the tax at least til more North Carolinians quit smoking and vaporers are in the majority but I dont think it should be tax when normal sales taxes are already revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:34 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Don't get me wrong I am for jobs...
Lastly this tax it lobbied by Reynolds America (RJR lobby group)...
ding ding

Eventually cigarettes will be made illegal product as should have happened 50 years ago.
(don't hold your breath waiting tho)

Old 05-21-2014, 04:22 PM

322 posts, read 666,476 times
Where do you expect these things to be made, in China?

I'm not a smoker, and I don't like breathing other people's second hand smoke. I grew up around other smokers, worked helping local tobacco farmers when I was growing up during the summers to make extra money. At the same time, I know how smoking affects your health, as most of the people who choose to smoke do.

It's no secret that these large corporations have paid lobbyists to represent them for decades, as do a a lot of other big companies, many of which have their addresses offshore to avoid paying taxes on their profits. Even though I don't buy products from RJR, Philip Morris, or others, I get real tired of the negativity toward the tobacco companies. The government wants to regulate them to death, prevent them from free advertising (when it's OK to advertise licquor or beer, and having a good time by drinking), or outright put them out of business. Never mind that the top two universities in North Carolina were funded with tobacco money, that a lot of hospitals, banks, businesses, and other institutions were built with tobacco money.

It's real hard for me to hear people who complain about the plight of American jobs, and are the first to run to Walmart to buy the cheapest purchase they can find. Sure these are not glamourous sounding jobs, but a lot of people would appreciate the opportunity to take home the paycheck. There is absolutely no reason why anyone in China should be given these jobs on a silver platter when these products can be made better, and more cheaply here in the United States.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Where do you expect these things to be made...?
That's the point.
They shouldn't be getting made. Anywhere.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:25 PM

That could be said for a lot of products out there, could it not? I am in the home furnishings industry, and there is by far more furniture and decorative accessories available that looks horrendous and offensive than pretty. A vast amount that is produced by whomever should not even waste the time or imagination they spend on it, much less wasting precious resources like wood, metals, and the petroleum it takes to make it.
But that's my opinion, isn't it?

Old 05-21-2014, 06:37 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
That could be said for a lot of products out there, could it not? I am in the home furnishings industry, and there is by far more furniture and decorative accessories available that looks horrendous and offensive than pretty. A vast amount that is produced by whomever should not even waste the time or imagination they spend on it, much less wasting precious resources like wood, metals, and the petroleum it takes to make it.
Tobacco products are just socially unpopular in 2014, so they are an easy target. I imagine alcohol does as much damage as tobacco, but you would never read comments like these. Get over it people - it's 300 jobs, and it's part of the heritage and history of our economy here.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:00 PM

67 posts, read 134,657 times
Quote:
Lol! Any insight as to why exactly such a large percentage furniture is so gaudy?
I've always noticed that too, just curious.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Tobacco products are just socially unpopular in 2014...
Unpopular? That's where it starts and has been the reality for close to 50 years.
I bet you even know this already.

They remain the only commercial product that WILL KILL when used as intended.
That they remain legal is in itself criminal.

Smoking Kills... The Marlboro Man - YouTube

LINK to some more of that "unpopular" stuff.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:14 PM

The same as food makes people obese, high fructose corn syrup in our Coke and ketchup is making everyone diabetic, and mary jane is making everybody in Washington and Colorado high (all under the law, and all killers).

Old 05-21-2014, 08:21 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
ding ding

Eventually cigarettes will be made illegal product as should have happened 50 years ago.
(don't hold your breath waiting tho)
IDK so..don't forget our euro friends love our American cigs!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point