Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 05:06 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I'm not very familiar with how things work between in the triad. Seems like everyone in both cities would be happy. For example when DPAC was built in Durham. It didn't bother me or anyone else in Raleigh. I think it's great news. When it opens I hope to come to Greensboro and catch a show.
You would think that but, for whatever reason we have a few who feel the need to put down announcements in Greensboro. I really don't understand what their malfunction is, especially when you visit the "Winston vs. Greensboro" thread and note how dead it is. The haters should have been there in droves administering the beat down of the century. Meanwhile, the rest of us understand the impact each economy of the Triad cities has on the other. When Dell closed I'm sure it affected Greensboro residents just as American Express closing affected W-S residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazfair View Post
Fourth St. in Winston-Salem is giving Tryon St. a run for it's money. Downtown Greensboro might give Kernersville a run, but I vote for KVegas.
Prime example of what my first comment stated. Every single post in regards to something coming to Gboro ends up in Winston vs Greensboro pettiness. Lets be real here, you know you don't even believe that comment.

In regards to insecurity, some of you have it real bad even though it doesn't make sense because the cities are too close to each other for you to be missing out on anything. If you want to rep Winston, do so, but why spend time and energy with a negative rebuttal on literally every single post in regards to a city(that you seem not to like)?

That being said all three, Fourth St., Tryon St. and Elm St. or nice streets with three different vibes to them. To bash one or the other is just hating for the sake of hating.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
I think there's a little idle pot-stirring going on in this thread. Most people who have regular interaction with both cities appreciate the merits of both and wish both well.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:11 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
My goodness, people are really dumb. I would have bragged about this if this had happened in Winston-Salem. While I live in Greensboro, I'm not from the area. I moved here from Martinsville, VA - you know, the place where announcements usually consist more of something closing as opposed to opening? Pull your heads out of your backsides, folks. This is great news for the Triad (G'boro, W-S, HP) in general. It's nice living in an area that is still viable for growth as opposed to a ghost town. My hometown would kill to have a place like this. It would kill to have an uptown like either Winston-Salem or Greensboro.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Prime example of what my first comment stated. Every single post in regards to something coming to Gboro ends up in Winston vs Greensboro pettiness. Lets be real here, you know you don't even believe that comment.

In regards to insecurity, some of you have it real bad even though it doesn't make sense because the cities are too close to each other for you to be missing out on anything. If you want to rep Winston, do so, but why spend time and energy with a negative rebuttal on literally every single post in regards to a city(that you seem not to like)?

That being said all three, Fourth St., Tryon St. and Elm St. or nice streets with three different vibes to them. To bash one or the other is just hating for the sake of hating.
I think you hit it right there.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:04 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
You would think that but, for whatever reason we have a few who feel the need to put down announcements in Greensboro. I really don't understand what their malfunction is, especially when you visit the "Winston vs. Greensboro" thread and note how dead it is. The haters should have been there in droves administering the beat down of the century. Meanwhile, the rest of us understand the impact each economy of the Triad cities has on the other. When Dell closed I'm sure it affected Greensboro residents just as American Express closing affected W-S residents.
This is a big part of the problem...there are one or two members on this site from GSO that show these insecurities and the result is snide comments from people like me. I'm not sure you're included in the club, but you sometimes get involved in defending those members it seems and it spills over into regular discussions. But to pin it on people who "feel the need to put down announcements in Greensboro" is just false.

The "big" announcements thing is getting a little silly...attempting to make the Paul McCartney thing a big deal was just plain embarrassing, especially when other huge acts have played there for years. This "House of Blues" big announcement is of a similar quality. It's just a mine-is-bigger-than-yours odor that has been wafting over this way more recently - and it's not pretty. Like it or not, it exists and probably always will that some people will brag and others will counterbalance the bragging.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post

You would have to be able to pick up on the more subtle pettiness that comes with some of these comments. Some of them are passive aggressive in nature and may not be obvious to the casual reader. Just because I don't make an attempt to hide behind some "big announcement" doesn't mean anything. There is an inferiority complex that breeds competitiveness from one particular side of this situation - the obvious shorter/smaller downtown.

I apologize if the truth hurts anyone here. It would be nice if there could actually be some Triadism in the area, but we have tried that in the past and one side always seemed to take advantage of every situation. As far as I'm concerned these two cities are separate entities and cannot work together. The past has proven such.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You would have to be able to pick up on the more subtle pettiness that comes with some of these comments. Some of them are passive aggressive in nature and may not be obvious to the casual reader. Just because I don't make an attempt to hide behind some "big announcement" doesn't mean anything. There is an inferiority complex that breeds competitiveness from one particular side of this situation - the obvious shorter/smaller downtown.

I apologize if the truth hurts anyone here. It would be nice if there could actually be some Triadism in the area, but we have tried that in the past and one side always seemed to take advantage of every situation. As far as I'm concerned these two cities are separate entities and cannot work together. The past has proven such.
The truth? Pfft! Passive aggressive? You're just as guilty as anyone on here and just because the governments don't work together doesn't mean the people don't enjoy what both cities have to offer. I was driving home from W-S today and encountered traffic on I-40, going both ways. Point being, again, there is no wall between the two cities.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
This is a big part of the problem...there are one or two members on this site from GSO that show these insecurities and the result is snide comments from people like me. I'm not sure you're included in the club, but you sometimes get involved in defending those members it seems and it spills over into regular discussions. But to pin it on people who "feel the need to put down announcements in Greensboro" is just false.

The "big" announcements thing is getting a little silly...attempting to make the Paul McCartney thing a big deal was just plain embarrassing, especially when other huge acts have played there for years. This "House of Blues" big announcement is of a similar quality. It's just a mine-is-bigger-than-yours odor that has been wafting over this way more recently - and it's not pretty. Like it or not, it exists and probably always will that some people will brag and others will counterbalance the bragging.
And this is where you come off sounding petty; to some Paul McCartney coming here is a big deal. I won't go see the show because I'm not a fan, but I respect those who are enthusiastic about the up coming show. As for the HOB venue coming I'm personally looking forward to that because I'm the old dude and I promised myself I would not be the old dude in the club; those are for the younger crowd IMO.

My comments at times are not so much about defending the members as it is shutting down the ignorance. Your snarky comments come off just as insecure as anyone who sounds too exuberated, so yes it looks to me as if there are a select few who feel the need to put down announcements, including you.
Rather than expend energy on being a hater why not put some effort in announcing W-S happenings. I see a few of those pop up from time to time but none are started by you.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Quote:

Sorry, but you just come across as someone who's snarky and jealous. This announcement about the HOB was created by, me, and "outsider" who has recently made NC his home. I don't look at either GSO or W-S as separate entities. In my opinion, this competition you guys have with each other is quite ignorant. I would be "bragging" about an HOB venue coming to W-S just the same way. Same for Paul McCartney. Come one, PM is probably one of the biggest acts this area could snag. And when I mean "this area" I mean the Triad area as a whole...not just Greensboro.

As I stated before, maybe some of you guys should go up to Martinsvlle and live there for a few years. Get used to the majority of big announcements being about things closing up and moving away, rather than growth and big time entertainment. Maybe then you'd come to appreciate the good things that happen with both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point