Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 09:23 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,876,589 times

Advertisements

@ gsoboi what is up(the name of the forum you mentioned), honestly I would like to read some of the things coming to winston, as I like both, and @ wsnc62 c'mon you know that isn't true, you even through in Vancouver smh(I doubt folks are thinking of either up there), While I was in school none of my friends from either DC or Charlotte bashed The Boro, heck some of them are still there. This is a forum so people can say what they want but this mess is getting out of hand when it is every post, it is childish. If something is coming to Winston good, something coming to Greensboro Good, I stay in Cary now, so it is good when something comes to Durham or Raleigh, I still visit the triad because I have friends that are still there so it is good when something comes to the boro or winston. I don't have to put one down to rep the other.

Many of you have spent more time and energy on greensboro post then you have on things coming to Winston, please start a thread, next time I'm in town(be in the boro this weekend no prob taking a quick trip to winston) I would like to know some places to hit up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 10:53 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,359,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Elm Street in Greensboro has long given Tryon St. a run for its money. I was floored when I first saw how active and vibrant the nightlife scene was there.
That's not saying much..... Given the fact that the NC Music Factory area and College Street dominates uptown Charlotte's night life scene; not Tryon Street. I'd even rank Tryon Street in South End, North Davidson in Noda, and Central Ave/Commonwealth in Plaza Midwood above Tryon St uptown. So again, that's not saying much.

Either way it goes, this is all great news for downtown Greensboro's growing vibrancy. We should leave it at that...

Old 07-18-2014, 10:54 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,400,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
We should leave it at that...

Old 07-18-2014, 12:11 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
That's not saying much..... Given the fact that the NC Music Factory area and College Street dominates uptown Charlotte's night life scene; not Tryon Street. I'd even rank Tryon Street in South End, North Davidson in Noda, and Central Ave/Commonwealth in Plaza Midwood above Tryon St uptown. So again, that's not saying much.
Whatever you consider Charlotte's most active street for nightlife, Elm Street in Greensboro has rivaled it for a while now.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Whatever you consider Charlotte's most active street for nightlife, Elm Street in Greensboro has rivaled it for a while now.
A major component of an "active" night life for many of us are things such as Monday night football or Wednesday night basketball. Please, let's keep the comparisons out of this, it doesn't help Greensboro or Charlotte.

With that said, NC A&T (a school I attended for 3 semesters) and UNC Greensboro have been a boost to downtown Greensboro for years. This is nothing new, nor is it worthy of comparisons to other cities.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:14 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,237,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
@ gsoboi what is up(the name of the forum you mentioned), honestly I would like to read some of the things coming to winston, as I like both
its

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 07-29-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 08:11 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
A major component of an "active" night life for many of us are things such as Monday night football or Wednesday night basketball. Please, let's keep the comparisons out of this, it doesn't help Greensboro or Charlotte.

With that said, NC A&T (a school I attended for 3 semesters) and UNC Greensboro have been a boost to downtown Greensboro for years. This is nothing new, nor is it worthy of comparisons to other cities.
It's obvious that you completely missed the context in which I made that comment, so allow me to recap. In post #38, someone was taking an unwarranted swipe at Greensboro and mentioned that Fourth Street in Winston-Salem was giving Tryon Street a run for its money (and that's a comment that you obviously missed; otherwise you should have replied to that person like you replied to me if you felt as though someone was attempting to slight Charlotte). I then brought up Elm Street to show that Greensboro is no slouch either and that Elm Street has rivaled Tryon Street (or any other active street in Uptown) for a couple of years now.

So yeah, keep the comments in context. And yes, you can certainly compare Elm Street to streets in the downtowns of other cities; I don't see why it's "unworthy" to do so as if having universities downtown to help boost nightlife is a rare thing. Just because it's not the case for Charlotte doesn't mean it's unheard of.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
It's obvious that you completely missed the context in which I made that comment, so allow me to recap. In post #38, someone was taking an unwarranted swipe at Greensboro and mentioned that Fourth Street in Winston-Salem was giving Tryon Street a run for its money (and that's a comment that you obviously missed; otherwise you should have replied to that person like you replied to me if you felt as though someone was attempting to slight Charlotte). I then brought up Elm Street to show that Greensboro is no slouch either and that Elm Street has rivaled Tryon Street (or any other active street in Uptown) for a couple of years now.

So yeah, keep the comments in context. And yes, you can certainly compare Elm Street to streets in the downtowns of other cities; I don't see why it's "unworthy" to do so as if having universities downtown to help boost nightlife is a rare thing. Just because it's not the case for Charlotte doesn't mean it's unheard of.
The topic is a simple one; Greensboro is getting the Carolinas' 3rd House of Blues Entertainment affiliated music venue. The first 2 are HOB Myrtle Beach and The Fillmore Charlotte (both being larger venues than the one in Greensboro). Many of the same acts being booked in Charlotte and Myrtle Beach will now make a 3rd stop in Greensboro.

Now, let me address some of the off-topic arguments being made. I understand that Elm Street has quite a few history structures that are being used for restaurants, clubs, and small shops. This is something that Tryon Street in uptown Charlotte lacks. On the other hand, Tryon Street is located 2-3 blocks away from a AAA-affiliated baseball team, a NBA arena (which has major concerts; much BIGGER ones than the intimate settings of these small venues), and a NFL stadium. So, when you say that Elm Street has rivaled Tryon Street for years, such statements are bold at best and a half-truth at the least.

On the grand scheme of things, there's far more activity at night (on average) near Tryon Street than there is on Elm Street. Major events such as concerts, sporting events, festivals (ie CIAA and Speedstreet) etc are the reasons for this. However, on a night when there is nothing "special" going on, Elm Street does rival Tryon Street easily and has done so for years. The only caveat to the aforementioned statement is this: How many nights per year is there absolutely nothing "special" going on at NC Music Factory, the Knights stadium, the music venues in South End, TWC arena, BofA Stadium, and Epicentre. This also includes major performing arts stops; many of which usually have only two NC stops (Durham and Charlotte).

Like I said before, this is a big step for Greensboro; especially the downtown. However, when you start making statements like "Elm Street has rivaled" *insert any tier 2 city such as Cincinnati, Columbus, or Charlotte* I'm thinking to myself the following:

Oh my, Greensboro is moving up. Wow, I can't wait to see Greensboro's version of Cincinnati's Over-The-Rhine. Oh my, I can't wait to do a walking tour of Greensboro's Short-North district (a nod to Columbus). Oh yes, I might even think about renting in an area near downtown Greensboro that is similar to Charlotte's South End district.

This is the 3rd HOB-Entertainment affiliated venue in the Carolinas; the smallest of the 3 to be exact. For the love of God man, can we just leave it at that... Hats off to Greensboro, way to go!!!!

Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 AM

322 posts, read 667,426 times
Thank you, urban, for clearing that up. These comparisons are so ridiculous. There are more people getting off the Lynx Blue Line for an event at Time Warner for a one night event than there are on Elm Street in one month, I'd venture to say. Much less the population of the area around the Epicenter and Transportation Center on a Saturday night. It's futile keeping people up to speed who might not get out of their comfortable zone very much.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:41 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,237,827 times
urban I think Mutiny77 was trying to point out that Elm St rivals Tryon St in terms of night life. He wasn't talking about what goes on two or three blocks away. I think we all know Charlotte has an uptown arena and NFL Stadium. Greensboro has a downtown ballpark as well and there is always live concerts happening all the time on Elm St near Natty Greene's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point