Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:59 AM

7,080 posts, read 12,383,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
urban I think Mutiny77 was trying to point out that Elm St rivals Tryon St in terms of night life. He wasn't talking about what goes on two or three blocks away. I think we all know Charlotte has an uptown arena and NFL Stadium. Greensboro has a downtown ballpark as well and there is always live concerts happening all the time on Elm St near Natty Greene's.
Fair enough, but read his post about any street in uptown Charlotte. He made it clear that he wasn't just talking about Tryon St.

Post #64 is where you'll find that comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 AM

37,923 posts, read 42,163,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Like I said before, this is a big step for Greensboro; especially the downtown. However, when you start making statements like "Elm Street has rivaled" *insert any tier 2 city such as Cincinnati, Columbus, or Charlotte* I'm thinking to myself the following:

Oh my, Greensboro is moving up. Wow, I can't wait to see Greensboro's version of Cincinnati's Over-The-Rhine. Oh my, I can't wait to do a walking tour of Greensboro's Short-North district (a nod to Columbus). Oh yes, I might even think about renting in an area near downtown Greensboro that is similar to Charlotte's South End district.
You're being extremely disingenuous; I'm not talking about any random "tier 2" city (Charlotte is actually more like tier 3, but anyway), but Tryon Street in particular. Lord knows Charlotte doesn't have anything close to Over-the-Rhine with its dense urban fabric and historic residential architecture or Short-North with its very youthful vibe due to its proximity to OSU.

You're really kicking up a whole lot of dust over a relatively minor point that really didn't have anything to do with Charlotte in the first place, and you STILL haven't responded to the person who said Fourth Street in Winston rivals Tryon, which is the statement that started this whole side discussion; you could expend just as much energy refuting that statement as you are for Greensboro but for some reason you refuse to. Just let it go man. And all these undercover swipes at Greensboro are just getting old.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Thank you, urban, for clearing that up. These comparisons are so ridiculous. There are more people getting off the Lynx Blue Line for an event at Time Warner for a one night event than there are on Elm Street in one month, I'd venture to say. Much less the population of the area around the Epicenter and Transportation Center on a Saturday night. It's futile keeping people up to speed who might not get out of their comfortable zone very much.
I used to live in Charlotte and now live in Atlanta, so you can scratch that "keeping people up to speed who might not get out of their comfortable [sic] zone very much" argument.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:17 AM

12,572 posts, read 15,602,788 times
Quote:
Thank you, urban, for clearing that up. These comparisons are so ridiculous. There are more people getting off the Lynx Blue Line for an event at Time Warner for a one night event than there are on Elm Street in one month, I'd venture to say. Much less the population of the area around the Epicenter and Transportation Center on a Saturday night. It's futile keeping people up to speed who might not get out of their comfortable zone very much.
Said the person who presumes to know High Point because he visits there twice a year for the furniture market.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 AM

322 posts, read 668,934 times
LOL, you know, I'm going to do something the devil won't do, as they say, which is leave you alone. You boys and girls can have this discussion....and beat it till there's no life left. I don't have time to spar with anonymous experts on the subject. Enjoy the House of Blues affiliated whatever. We'll see how long it lasts compared to the bars that have been in that location.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're really kicking up a whole lot of dust over a relatively minor point that really didn't have anything to do with Charlotte in the first place,
You say that I'm taking swipes at Greensboro, but it wasn't me who questioned Greensboro's worthiness for getting this venue. Guilford county's current population rivals Meck's 1990 population. Guilford county also has NC's 3rd largest visitor spending revenue (trailing only Meck and Wake). IMO, Greensboro is plenty big enough and active enough to support this type of venue. With that said, what were your reasons for questioning Greensboro's chances earlier in the thread?

Check post #6....

Old 07-20-2014, 06:36 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,602,788 times
Quote:
LOL, you know, I'm going to do something the devil won't do, as they say, which is leave you alone. You boys and girls can have this discussion....and beat it till there's no life left. I don't have time to spar with anonymous experts on the subject. Enjoy the House of Blues affiliated whatever. We'll see how long it lasts compared to the bars that have been in that location.
Whether it lasts one year or one decade I'm sure you'll be on the first bus to Gloatville.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
You say that I'm taking swipes at Greensboro, but it wasn't me who questioned Greensboro's worthiness for getting this venue. Guilford county's current population rivals Meck's 1990 population. Guilford county also has NC's 3rd largest visitor spending revenue (trailing only Meck and Wake). IMO, Greensboro is plenty big enough and active enough to support this type of venue. With that said, what were your reasons for questioning Greensboro's chances earlier in the thread?

Check post #6....
Because we were talking about an actual HOB venue. That would indeed be a long shot for Greensboro; a HOB-affiliated venue, however, is not.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Because we were talking about an actual HOB venue. That would indeed be a long shot for Greensboro; a HOB-affiliated venue, however, is not.
I'm certainly no expert on these sort of things, but I honestly don't see much of a difference between an actual HOB or an affiliated venue. At quick glance, HOB Myrtle Beach's upcoming acts vs The Fillmore Charlotte's recent events appear to be very similar. In some cases, the same artists are performing at both locations.

Also, it seems that markets with actual HOBs don't have affiliated venues; markets with affiliated venues don't have HOBs. I've also noticed that there's usually a bit of distance between HOBs and their affiliated venues. I'm not 100% sure, but the HOBs vs affiliated argument seems like a Saks vs Nordstrom argument. Your market wins with either.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I'm certainly no expert on these sort of things, but I honestly don't see much of a difference between an actual HOB or an affiliated venue. At quick glance, HOB Myrtle Beach's upcoming acts vs The Fillmore Charlotte's recent events appear to be very similar. In some cases, the same artists are performing at both locations.

Also, it seems that markets with actual HOBs don't have affiliated venues; markets with affiliated venues don't have HOBs. I've also noticed that there's usually a bit of distance between HOBs and their affiliated venues. I'm not 100% sure, but the HOBs vs affiliated argument seems like a Saks vs Nordstrom argument. Your market wins with either.
Just look at the cities that actual HOB's are located in. That in itself would show you why that would be a long shot for Greensboro, but it will still reap similar benefits from the affiliated venue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point