Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,322 times

Advertisements

So my husband may be relocating with his job which is a good thing but if he does it will be in about a month! I would like advice on housing areas and schools. I'm not stuck on suburbs or city so I'm open. At this point I'm not closing myself off to anything! I would love any advice that anyone could give. Thanks in advance. Our preferences/situation:
*My husband will be working in downtown WS and I'm a SAHM so we only have one commute to worry about and there is a bus stop 1/2 a block from his job.
*We want to rent (that way we can get used to the area for a year or so first). Around $1700 would be great.
*four kids. 2 in elementary and 2 in high school. They are currently in charter schools. Again, I'm open
*Dog so if no yard near a park where we can take our walks (an hour a day)
*Love for the boys (18 & 15) to not be dependent on me to go everywhere. Gym, basketball, movies etc.
*Near kids/park where the girls (9 & 6) can play with other kids
*Be able to easily get to museums, art galleries, festivals and restaurants for family and date nights

That's all I can think of now but I'm sure as soon as I hit post I'll remember a dozen things
We have never even been to Winston Salem but I've been researching like crazy so ANY information at all is welcome!

Last edited by mom24724; 08-01-2014 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 04:42 PM

34,171 posts, read 83,282,616 times
Quote:
Around $1700 *four kids. 2 in elementary and 2 in high school.
Stay NORTH of Country Club Rd and WEST of Silas Creek Parkway
Attached Thumbnails
Just found out we may be moving to WS in a month!!-nw-wiston.png  

Old 08-01-2014, 04:44 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,637,594 times
I've never rented in this area, but I imagine $1,700 will get you in a nice area. I'm sure others on here can provide recommendations.

We enjoy W-S, but we're about 15 minutes from downtown (which I think is nice for a city its size), in the 'burbs.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:08 PM

123 posts, read 278,806 times
If you look in that area to rent your have a good choice of schools. High schools, Mt Tabor & Reynolds come to mind. For elementary you will also have good choices.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,322 times
Thank you so much for your replies!
@MrRational I looked at that area (on the internet!) and it looks really nice and the schools do have really good ratings. My husband and I will be making a trip out there next week and we will definitely be taking a drive through there.
Thanks again!

Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,177,568 times
In general, the west side of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County is considered more desirable, including the Clemmons and Lewisville suburbs. The most desirable high school districts are West Forsyth, Reagan, Mt. Tabor, and Reynolds. That said, there are many great places outside those areas, and at most all high schools you'll find many successful students. We also have a number of magnet schools that even the playing field, along with the Career Center which offers a number of advanced courses to all high school students.

There are great parks all over the city and county. Google the city and county recreation department pages for all the details (Tanglewood Park is a great place for both people and dogs).

You also mentioned being able to get to museums, art galleries, restaurants, etc. Not a problem, as anywhere in Forsyth County is a relatively short drive (15-20 minutes tops) into downtown W-S. Also, having Greensboro a short drive away offers even more possibilities.

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point