Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

A company that develops unmanned aircraft for use by emergency responders and law enforcement officials wants to locate its headquarters and research and development operations in the Triad.
It would create about 200 high-technology jobs in its first phase.
Olaeris has asked the state Commerce Department to invest $6 million in its products rather than provide traditional incentives.

Drone-maker Olaeris has given state officials until Sept. 25 to commit to a $6 million investment in the startup company, which wants to locate a U.S. headquarters at Smith Reynolds Airport.

Im skeptical about this state funneling money to a start up company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 12:01 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Per the TBJ, they're close to giving up on the site. Sounds like they're not getting the incentives they want. To be honest, I can't see $6m coming from the state in the current legislative environment, so if that's a dealbreaker, this plan is likely to be scrapped. It's too bad in a way, because UAVs are only going to become more prevalent in years to come, and it would be nice for the Triad to have another booming industry on board. Then again, if this company has a tiger by the tail like they claim, why do they need a $6m infusion from the state? Seems like venture capital or other investment streams should be footing the bill.

That TBJ story: http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/new...giving-up.html

Old 08-15-2014, 01:34 PM

322 posts, read 666,836 times
Per the news update I've read, Olaeris is NOT asking for incentives at all. It is asking the state to contract purchase $6 million of its equipment to monitor emergency response in North Carolina, with payments not due for the set up until a fully functioning system is delivered. That does not sound unreasonable to me, for a $128 million return in investment and 150+ jobs at Smith Reynolds Airport.

The state legislators need to get off their fat butts and make this happen. There is more money spent and/or available in funds such as the tobacco fund that is squandered yearly in order to create jobs here in North Carolina. We need more high tech companies. "The first state that gets this all aligned properly (to win this company) will become the next Silicon Valley" the article states.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Per the news update I've read, Olaeris is NOT asking for incentives at all. It is asking the state to contract purchase $6 million of its equipment to monitor emergency response in North Carolina, with payments not due for the set up until a fully functioning system is delivered. That does not sound unreasonable to me, for a $128 million return in investment and 150+ jobs at Smith Reynolds Airport.
I do think it's a slightly strange request, yeah. I think our emergency responders should make purchases of equipment of that sort as they need it and after evaluating a number of different suppliers. Committing to a $6m purchase seems like a problematic quid pro quo.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
That was one of the conditions for Mercedes in AL, the state had to buy X amount of SUVs yet were already broke from the incentive deal. I would rather see a small incentive package in this scenario. This company is a start up and if the venture tanks the state would be left with 6 mil of unbacked equipment.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
folks if we dont like what our "leaders" in Raleigh are doing, we need to vote them out at the polls. It would be a shame if the state sat on its hands and lost this opportunity for the Triad.

but from their point of view, they are skeptical because the drone industry is very new and there are still legal issues with drones in regards to privacy and sharing the same airspace with commercial planes.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:16 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
Speaking of drones, I'm sure most have seen this video. This dude is amazing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDcDZ6rmGE

Old 09-24-2017, 10:04 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
This company first tried to locate in Greensboro. The city thought it didnt make financial sense because the company wanted the city to use their drone system for emergency responses. Our state leaders are hostile to the drone industry in general.

That's a cool video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point