Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 07:30 PM

6 posts, read 4,800 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking to move to NC within the next year for a teaching job and am curious as to what is the best area for a girl in her late 20's to move to. I like to shop, and being within an hours drive near an airport to travel home is important.

thanks for any input !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
NC is a big state. There are many areas that might fit the criteria. Have you looked at job openings yet? The education system in NC is in a sad state.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:59 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times
What level teaching job? (elementary/middle/high/something else?)

Since you posted in the Triad, note that there is a smallish airport that serves the area (called either PTI or GSO), with larger airports of RDU (Raleigh/Durham - the Triangle) and CLT (Charlotte). I like flying out of Greensboro as it is not crowded at all, but nonstop flight options are limited, and prices can be higher than the other airports.

Plenty of shopping opportunities in the Triad (Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point). We don't have all of the higher end shops around here, but I'm guessing that shortfall wouldn't be a big problem on a teacher's salary.

If you want a downtown lifestyle, both Winston-Salem and Greensboro have small but growing downtown areas, with residential options. I prefer Winston-Salem's downtown, but I may be biased since I've spent more time in Winston-Salem than Greensboro.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:08 AM

149 posts, read 250,700 times
In the triad, GSO is a great airport. Easy parking, no traffic,etc...It's accessible from a very large area. (an hour drive covers a pretty large area around here!) If you are looking for a metropolitan area, any city in the state will be within an hour of a major airport.

Be aware that in NC, the larger school districts offer "local salary" supplements, that boost the pay above the state average.

For a 20's something, almost all the bigger cities have a lot going on. There are a lot of colleges everywhere. It's a state with a pretty active outdoor life style.

Getting a job depends a lot on your specialty. Be sure to check out charter schools also...as there are a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point