Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2006, 03:14 PM

9 posts, read 91,523 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I asked a question a few weeks back about which place I should move to... but now I have narrowed it down to Greenville and W-S. For those that didnt read my previous question, this is why I am thinking about moving to NC.
I will be graduating from the UP of MI with a Health Ed degree but I have always wanted to be go into Radiation Therapy. And because I hate the snow (bad move to choose the UP) and because i like warmer weather, nice people, and just something new, why not NC? I have visited a few times but it was just to drive through NC and go to SC. I like to try new things and NC would be new to me. I am from outside Detroit and I just cant stand it here in MI anymore. Its dirty, too much crime, people are mean, and there are no jobs. I just want out. SO! My question is, what are the pros and cons of W-S and Greenville?
I want a nice, safe place (i know there is crime everywhere and with more people there will be more crime but... I dont want a place like Detroit), green, culture, history, nightlife fun, and naturey fun.
Tell me about the areas and your opinions.
I am looking at starting my RAD Therapy stuff at the local community colleges.. what are the areas like there?
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 03:21 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
If you like the warmer weather. I suggest Greenville. Pitt Memorial is an excellent hospital. There is ECU there as well as the college and Pitt Technical College. The town is not as large as some of the Piedmont area cities but if you want the warmer weather, I would think Greenville would be a better choice than Winston-Salem. I live about 18 miles from Greenville so I am pretty familiar with the area if you have any specific questions.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:14 PM

Ok, My next concern would be about hurricanes... of I am closer to the ocean .. wouldnt i be hit harder with a hurricane? I have seen pics of flooding in greenville and well, im kinda nervous. I'm used to thunderstorms, ice storms and blizzards.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:53 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
Well, I won't lie to you. I have been here my entire life and the hurricanes can be very bad. Hurricane Fran of 1996 and probably Hurricane Floyd of 1999 are the ones you associate the pictures with. If you decide to move here, the best advice I have for you is listen to the experts. If they say evacuate, then leave. Most people around here wouldn't leave if they knew another Katrina was on the horizon. Greenville is far enough inland to avoid the major storm surge but not miss inland flooding or wind damage. This year has been really mild for everyone. Ernesto was the only thing that actually hit anywhere and that was back in August. The season officially ends the 30th of this month so you have another 6 months to worry about it when it starts again next June 1st. You might want to look up North Carolina Hurricane history and read up on 1954's Hurricane Hazel and the two I mentioned above. They were by far the worse ones I can remember. I was 3 when Hazel came through. The closer to the coast you get, the more damage and more storms you will get hit with. Out on the Outer Banks for instance you can get a mere skim by and it will not affect Greenville all that much but can be really bad along the immediate coast.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:28 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Hi,

I am from Suburban Detroit originally, and lived in NC for 12 years. I lived about 2 hours West of Winston for 5 years and lived in Greenville for 7 years.
My wife worked in Pitt hospital in Greenville both as a secretary and then as a nurse. Frankly that is the only good thing I have to say about Greenville.
I found it very dull and anti-Yankee. The heat and humidity during the long summers is just hard to describe. Suffocating. The hurricane season is another factor. During the 7 years I was in Greenville, we saw about 6 or 7 hurricanes.
If I had to go back to NC for some reason, I would never return to Eastern NC. Winston would be the much better choice for a person coming from Detroit. You will find it more interesting, and much more centrally located to the better parts of the State. Greenville is far enough away from the Coast, not to get any climate advantage, and still a hour and a half drive to the beach. While Greenville has a small airport, it is 2 hour drive to RDU. In Winston, you can be in the Mountains in no time at all and is close to Greensboro, Highpoint, and not too far from Charlotte and you have access to GSO and CLT airports.
PM me if you like.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:55 PM

49 posts, read 228,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
Hi,

I am from Suburban Detroit originally, and lived in NC for 12 years. I lived about 2 hours West of Winston for 5 years and lived in Greenville for 7 years.
My wife worked in Pitt hospital in Greenville both as a secretary and then as a nurse. Frankly that is the only good thing I have to say about Greenville.
I found it very dull and anti-Yankee. The heat and humidity during the long summers is just hard to describe. Suffocating. The hurricane season is another factor. During the 7 years I was in Greenville, we saw about 6 or 7 hurricanes.
If I had to go back to NC for some reason, I would never return to Eastern NC. Winston would be the much better choice for a person coming from Detroit. You will find it more interesting, and much more centrally located to the better parts of the State. Greenville is far enough away from the Coast, not to get any climate advantage, and still a hour and a half drive to the beach. While Greenville has a small airport, it is 2 hour drive to RDU. In Winston, you can be in the Mountains in no time at all and is close to Greensboro, Highpoint, and not too far from Charlotte and you have access to GSO and CLT airports.
PM me if you like.
well i know this wasn't meant for me but its very helpful.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:51 PM

Thank you everyone. I can't wait to move! I plan on going to these two cities and checking them out before I finally decide. But after reading the replies and researching online, I think W-S is best for me. At least while I am in school and geting used to a new area then maybe I can try something else. Thank you all again!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:29 PM

49 posts, read 228,697 times
All the best Kellyk!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:22 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGIRL View Post
well i know this wasn't meant for me but its very helpful.
If it helps anyone I am happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point