Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 05:58 AM

6,152 posts, read 7,182,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Actually the cities, specifically Raleigh and Durham, of the Triangle have most often active fought the idea that "Raleigh-Durham" is a place and worked on individual identities. Research Triangle Park is a lightening strike that happened 60 years ago and isn't going to be replicated soon, and I don't think the Triad has what it would take anyway (plus it's too close to the real RTP). OTOH, Greensboro and Winston are more similar to each other than Raleigh and Durham are (IMO) and like Ral and Durham, (even more so), people in one city are constantly going to the other for things, so there may be less "jingoism" about one's particular home city there (but I don't know).

I think that like other cities in the Sun Belt, they are growing together regardless, and some kind of regional transit between the cities is inevitable if there isn't already. I don't know that either the Triangle or the Triad will get to the point of having a "Port Authority"-like entity that belongs to both, but doesn't that usually happen with cities that all but merge due to growing into each other?
I don't really see the Triad becoming another Research Triangle Park. However I think the Triad's future is in aviation, hi-tech manufacturing, transportation and logistics. The research parks in Greensboro and Winston-Salem will help support these industries but I don't see research parks as the primary driving force for attracting industry to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 08:42 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,349,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

I think that like other cities in the Sun Belt, they are growing together regardless, and some kind of regional transit between the cities is inevitable if there isn't already. I don't know that either the Triangle or the Triad will get to the point of having a "Port Authority"-like entity that belongs to both, but doesn't that usually happen with cities that all but merge due to growing into each other?
Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation |

The regional transit entity exists and I know people who use it every day. It could grow with sufficient demand, but the current price of oil isn't making demand for public transportation any stronger.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:11 PM

97 posts, read 314,676 times
I see your point but it just comes down to money and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. If we work with Greensboro to attract businesses to the Triad and they settle in Greensboro, they (and the county) get most of the money that comes with it- new people moving into the area, tax revenue, etc. If Greensboro worked to bring new business to Winston, they're not going to share in any revenue Winston and Forsyth County might bring in. I don't get the idea that neither city would be what it is without the other. It's my opinion that Greensboro and Winston each hold their own.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:37 PM

58 posts, read 98,599 times
It does make sense for them to recruit jointly for potential development around PTI. Yes it is closer to Greensboro, but depending on site requirements a company could easily land in Guilford or Forsyth if they were looking to be near the airport. Cities of the future are being built around airports for a myriad of reasons and the triad is well positioned to capitalize on this trend.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:24 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,692,768 times
Growing up, 40 miles from each and reading the paper, I think the two cites are totally different in core, history, culture and about everything. In fact, their only commonality is geography.

It (working together) makes all the sense in the world, but in politics and big money, that is an oft overlooked/ignored criteria.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:06 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,349,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Growing up, 40 miles from each and reading the paper, I think the two cites are totally different in core, history, culture and about everything. In fact, their only commonality is geography.
Really? The two have some differences, sure. But I think they have more in common with each other than either has with almost any other city. Seriously. Have you spent much time in each?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point