Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:38 PM

8 posts, read 16,264 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband is interviewing for a job in Burlington. Looking for info on the area. We are a conservative homeschooling family to 5 children ages 3 to 11. 30 minute commute. Looking for a smaller town...maybe a country subdivision. 1 to 5 acres. No HOA,s or cookie cuttet subs. Maybe a log cabin, craftsman style bungalow type home. Our daughter loves horses and would love riding lessons. Any ideas of towns, area my hubby could explore while down there?? Price under $250,000. Thank you in advance.
We have been to the Hickory area before for work for a couple of weeks. Did not like that area. Vacationed in Wilkesboro this past May and enjoyed it!
Patti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 06:18 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
Why didn't you like Hickory?

I'm sure you'll find a country subdivision or some land outside Burlington. Alamance County is still a little rural. It's definitely not "Oh my God, the nearest grocery store is 30 miles away" rural but kinda "country."

For the most part, Burlington is still a country town, "old timey" NC Piedmont unlike the Research Triangle and Charlotte. However, I'm sure it's growing. LabCorp is headquartered in Burlington, giving the area some "New South" flavor like RTP down the road. I-85/I-40 going straight through Burlington and Alamance County probably helps, too. I've seen some cookie-cutter neighborhoods off I-85/I-40 in the area, same story in Mebane which is a smaller town closer to the Research Triangle. This is a bit shocking, because these areas used to be a lot more remote and "Mayberry-ish" but North Carolina is growing like crazy. However, I'm almost positive you'll be able to find a country subdivision.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:39 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
Look north of Burlington. When I was house hunting I was working in Burlington so I looked around a lot. It was about 2 years ago, but there were some nices houses, some bungalow-style, available. It's pretty up there.

I met a guy a while back who was retired. He said he lived in Chapel Hill. I had to help him to understand that Mebane (where he actually resided) is not Chapel Hill!

Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
It sounds like the Burlington area would be fine for you. I can't help you with real estate specifics, but Johnny Lucas and Sons Stables near Gibsonville (between Burlington and Greensboro) would be a great place for your daughter to take riding lessons.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:43 AM

Thank you for the help. It is overwhelming to think about relocating and not knowing the area. Hickory just wasn't wowing me! The people were very nice though. Just looking for charm, unique, peace, but activities for the kids. So you would say Burlington or north instead of Liberty or Siler City. Just browsing Realtor.com and I found some houses I liked there. Also, is it flat or rolling hills?

Last edited by moonpie16; 01-20-2015 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: added more info

Old 01-20-2015, 11:56 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
Hilly. Siler City and Liberty are fine. I don't know that I'd call either unique.

Before making any decision you need to visit.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:43 PM

We will definitely visit beforehand. Hubby is flying in Thurs. Night for interview on Friday. He has few hours to kill and wanted to drive around. Just wanted to pinpoint some areas for him. Thanks again!

Old 01-20-2015, 02:06 PM

43 posts, read 109,727 times
Graham is a nice town in Alamance county. We moved here from the north about 5 and a half years ago and really liked the area. It takes 10 minutes or less to get to the hospital and Dr. offices, less than that for library, grocery stores and churches. We live in a townhouse out in the country but there are several subdivisions for larger homes nearby. The Graham Public Library is very well stocked for a small town and the staff is very friendly and helpful.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:34 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie16 View Post
Thank you for the help. It is overwhelming to think about relocating and not knowing the area. Hickory just wasn't wowing me! The people were very nice though. Just looking for charm, unique, peace, but activities for the kids. So you would say Burlington or north instead of Liberty or Siler City. Just browsing Realtor.com and I found some houses I liked there. Also, is it flat or rolling hills?
It's mostly rolling hills, Alamance County is about as Piedmont as you can get. Not as many trees as the Raleigh/Durham area, which is practically one giant longleaf pine forest. Alamance is less forest and more pasture, and isn't quite as humid as the Raleigh/Durham area, either.

I'd definitely stay focused on north of Burlington. Siler City and Liberty are kinda meh, two smaller country towns that aren't very unique or charming in my opinion. Honestly, the whole area is very slow and peaceful but there's nothing wrong with that if y'all won't mind it. Good thing about the area, if you need a larger city for whatever reason, Greensboro and Durham/Chapel Hill aren't far at all. Good luck on your search, I'm sure you'll love the area.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:52 PM

I will have him focus on north of Burlington. Any specific towns? No offense ljmg47 but from the few posting on the Graham area doesn't seem positive?? Pasture land and lower humidy works! I will keep you posted on what he thought of the area and if an offer is made!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point