Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 06:06 AM

10 posts, read 11,874 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to move next summer. I've narrowed my search to three towns. Low crime and friendly people are very important to us. They all seem to have good schools. Are all three towns the same or is one better than the other when it comes to community?
Thank you in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:29 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,160,663 times
I'd say all are similar with regard to quality of life and desirability.

Clemmons is much more developed than the other two. It has the most stores and restaurants, as well as two small hospitals, medical and dentist offices, and lots of different housing options (apartments, condos, etc.).

Lewisville has a more quaint, walkable downtown area (if you can call it that--it's really small), with a nice town square/amphitheater. Because of that, there may be bit more feeling of "community". But there are only a few stores and restaurants.

Advance is mostly a collection of rural neighborhoods with not much to bring them together. Advance itself is little more than a crossroads with a few buildings. The area around the US 158/NC 801 intersection is a little more developed, and is often referred to as Advance although it is more accurately Hillsdale. Property taxes are a bit lower, but you are farther away from the amenities of Clemmons and Winston-Salem.

So it really just depends on what you prefer. Lewisville or Clemmons if you want to be closer to stores, restaurants, and Winston-Salem. Advance if you prefer to be farther out.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2015, 04:46 PM

108 posts, read 131,794 times
i am getting ready to build a house in the advance/bermuda run neighborhood called kinderton village. I looked in clemmons for houses but i was not feeling the houses in clemmons. they were over priced for what you get which was houses that have not been updated in 15 years. If you want a family atmosphere and want to live in advance check out kinderton village. they do a ton of things like christmas parades and 4th of july parades for the kids and movie nights on the big green spaces within the neighborhood. they have empty lots where you can build or resales where you can buy and move right in.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:40 PM

Thank you. Some nice houses in Kinderton Village.

I guess it depends how citified you are and how close you need to be to shopping. I'm willing to do no more than 20 minutes.

Is Mocksville like Advance?

Old 02-19-2015, 06:26 PM

i mean i am from charlotte so a pretty big city and i do wish more was built out there but i have a feeling in the next 5-10 years it will really grow out there to what i like. I work with someone whose husband is getting ready to sell some land out there and the things she has heard is they want the land to build some mixed use development out there ex: shopping and eating. you can get to the mall and thruway in 12-15 minutes. I work in downtown and it will not be a bad drive only about 5 more minutes from where i am renting now in winston. It helps that kinderton is right off 40. I have a college friend who lives in mocksville and it is more rural/country out there. mocksville is growing though with the Ashley furniture warehouse and the gilden warehouse being built there. if you split up davie county from what i can tell advance is where some of the money lives and mocksville is alittle more country and the people who live there grew up there and bermuda run/advance is more the people who moved there and work in winston and drive in to work.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:21 PM

Thank you for the info. If we choose Mocksville would we need to worry about fitting in?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:31 PM

well.. this is strictly my opinion but mockville is a longer drive into winston and they don't have shopping like target etc. Their shopping is the small downtown strip everything else you will have to drive to winston. Is there a reason you really want to move to mocksville? I know alot of places are still on septic. Like i said in my post before it can feel very rural. A few true subdivisions but mainly houses that just sit on the street like you would see in the early days on NC. Some parts feel "new" but overall I just feel like mockville feels like i stepped back in time. The people are very nice just local and have never left or if they did they came back right after college like the friends from college that i know.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:02 AM

I am just trying to get opinions on different areas to reduce my search. You have been helpful thank you. It will all depend too on where my husband gets a job. It is a very big move and almost seems like a lateral move. I've been trying to leave NJ for years finally got hubby on board. I can't say there is anything I like about living here.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:17 PM

like i said i am from a very city area where there is always something around and i think bermuda run will grow to something nice in the next few years and mocksville is nice but coming from nj it might be a little too rural for you as it is for me and you are from somewhere larger then i am. if you have kids and want them to have a neighborhoos with sidewalks and green space to play on check out kinderton village
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point