Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 03:43 PM

6 posts, read 7,759 times

Advertisements

Hello forum.

Obviously I'm new here, but I have a question.

I may be traveling to W-S soon to interview at Wake Forest Baptist. My wife is coming along. She is very nervous about moving to a new place. We have been in Memphis, TN for about 7 years and love our neighborhood and church.

We wanted to see some of the area and get an idea for what it would be like, and what it would be like to move there.

I am willing to have a decent commute to the hospital (30-45 min maybe) and wanted to know where were good places for young families to look at. She grew up in the country, so small town feel is fine and big city feel is kind of out.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 06:09 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,386,441 times
Winston-Salem is so much nicer than Memphis you won't believe it. Look at the areas west of Winston-Salem: Clemmons, Lewisville, Vienna and maybe Mocksville if you want to really get out in a small town. Also Kernersville, which is east of Winston.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:37 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,161,915 times
Ditto to the areas dawg mentioned above. Coming from Memphis, you will likely not even consider W-S to be a city at all. Much smaller, and much easier to get around. So don't rule out the possibility of living closer in, as there are some very nice neighborhoods in the city that border on rural living. And in Lewisville and Clemmons, you'll find a wide range of neighborhoods from classic suburbia to country settings. There's absolutely no need to commute more than 20 minutes, unless you really want to be out in the boonies.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:03 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,630,717 times
I'm biased, but I think the Triad is the best area for families in the state, as far as accessibility to work, shopping, activities, etc. I love being in the Wallburg area, which is 15-30 minutes to all 3 downtowns. I really like the Oak Ridge area, but I'm glad I picked a place a bit more centrally located - while I hope my current job will be my last job, there's always a chance I'll be working elsewhere at some point, so I wanted to be convenient to the entire Triad. Winston-Salem is also my favorite downtown in the state, but it certainly doesn't feel like a big city.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:06 PM

149 posts, read 250,821 times
I'd also check out Lexington,NC. It's a great small town 35 minutes from the heart of Winston. There plenty of homes north of Lexington (high school is also north of city). So you commute might be 20 minutes.

Lexington has a nice small town feel. It has an old fashioned downtown. (some really nice, older neighborhods there).

It's famous for it's annual Barbecue festival. Just south of the city is High Rock lake, which is a recreation destination.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:39 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,386,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booney56 View Post
I'd also check out Lexington,NC. It's a great small town 35 minutes from the heart of Winston. There plenty of homes north of Lexington (high school is also north of city). So you commute might be 20 minutes.

Lexington has a nice small town feel. It has an old fashioned downtown. (some really nice, older neighborhods there).

It's famous for it's annual Barbecue festival. Just south of the city is High Rock lake, which is a recreation destination.
Lexington/Davidson County schools aren't that great.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:28 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times
You've got Clemmons or Lewisville written all over you. Lots of your colleagues live out that way, it's very convenient to Baptist and the rest of Winston, the schools are good, and it has a fairly small-town feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point