Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,900 times

Advertisements

I have a 5 year-old, 40-lb. pit-mix. She's not 100% and likely not mixed with another bully-breed, but she looks enough like a pitbull that there's nothing else to call her.

I'm currently renting a room from my best friend, but my boyfriend is moving to town next month, and we need to find larger/private accommodations.

So far, I've only been able to find one rental opportunity - The Corners at Crystal Lake - that doesn't have a breed restriction. The complex is nice, but the apartment is a little small for what we'll be paying.

Another complex in Lewisville will accept her because she's a mix and they only care about purebreds. It's closer to our preferred budget, but farther out from our jobs - so the money is kind of a wash.

Now, I'm not here to argue the merit of a so-called "aggressive breed" list, but pitbulls are always at the top of it, so any listing that says "breed restriction" is automatically out. (Even though my dog won't chew her snorting pig toy, because she thinks she's hurting it.)

I've contacted Forsyth Humane, but they don't have a list of complexes without restrictions, and the 2 "pet-friendly" ones they suggested I contact will not allow her.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We'd like to stay under $700/mo., but the budget is flexible based on amenities, apartment size, and distance to W-S. I understand that we need to expect a higher rate, because we're paying for the privilege of having the dog, but I'd hate to miss an opportunity because I didn't check everywhere. I'd also be really interested in a house rental, but my previous landlords/rental companies don't currently have any appropriate options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 11:15 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary27127 View Post
W-S/Forsyth County Dog Breed Restrictions?
I'm not here to argue the merit of a so-called "aggressive breed" list, but...
The limits are almost always based in what the owners insurance co requires vs law.
In other instances it's about what the owner believes/prefers.

But so long as they apply their rule consistently ... they're on solid legal ground.

Quote:
So far, I've only been able to find one rental opportunity that doesn't have a breed restriction.
The complex is nice, but the apartment is a little small for what we'll be paying.
Jump on it. Otherwise focus on the private landlords who don't care (or aren't insured well).

Old 03-31-2015, 06:24 AM

9 posts, read 12,958 times
I agree with MrRational - look for single family homes for rent. I'm relocating to NC and have a german shepherd mix dog and have been going through the same thing. Most landlords who rent out single homes are more flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point