Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:38 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
"Sports fans"? Very scientific. This sports fan isn't excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 06:51 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
"Sports fans"? Very scientific. This sports fan isn't excited.
What in that story needs scientific validation? There were no claims made regarding a percentage of people excited about the prospect of the team coming to G'boro, for example. It was a few people's opinions. They're allowed to express it, even if its different from yours.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:10 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Greensboro will join the likes of Canton OH, Erie PA, Fort Wayne IN, Sioux Falls SD, Frisco TX, and Newark DE. Quite a prestigious honor! Asheville had a team 10 years ago.

Greensboro Coliseum will join empty arenas all over the country in supporting Development League basketball.
Why the slam on Greensboro? It's being considered along with other cities in the Carolinas and there's no guarantee Greensboro will get it. Either way, it gives people options in whatever city it lands and that's a good thing.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 AM

It will be a great thing for hundreds of people in a 23,000 seat arena. LOL!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:12 AM

17 posts, read 15,567 times
I could care less about pro ball, but it if will help fill more seats in the often empty city-owned Coliseum, that's a positive.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:05 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theuserofthisaccount View Post
I could care less about pro ball, but it if will help fill more seats in the often empty city-owned Coliseum, that's a positive.
And you're basing this statement on??????

Old 06-03-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
And you're basing this statement on??????
That the Coliseum is often empty or that it will help fill more seats? I don't think either is true.

The Greensboro Coliseum is very successful, hence the huge shows/events it attracts and the expansions it has seen over the years. I'm not sure why someone would try to say otherwise. Silliness.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 AM

17 posts, read 15,567 times
Quote:
That the Coliseum is often empty or that it will help fill more seats? I don't think either is true.

The Greensboro Coliseum is very successful, hence the huge shows/events it attracts and the expansions it has seen over the years. I'm not sure why someone would try to say otherwise. Silliness.

As stated In FY 2015 – 2016 City Manager’s recommended budget, p. 99 of this PDF:

(http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/modules...cumentid=27567)

“A General Fund contribution of $2.5 million is included to support operations in FY 15-16. This transfer is necessary to support the War Memorial Coliseum Complex operations not otherwise offset by user fees.”

According to the vertical figures at the bottom of p.98 in the same PDF, the complex operated at a loss in 2013 – 2014 – although I will admit it’s close – and is projected to break even for the 2014 – 2015 fiscal year.

My point is that, as a taxpayer (and I don’t even live in Greensboro), you always want your tax dollars to be maximized … and you would always want city facilities to be used as much as possible. A look at the calendar view of the Coliseum’s web page shows 14 days of no events in June and 22 days of no events in July (Events | Official Website of Greensboro Coliseum Complex).

Old 06-04-2015, 09:22 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Define "very successful".

As "theuserofthisaccount" pointed out, the coliseum requires a huge subsidy from the city's general fund (taxpayers) to fund its operation. In other words, on an operational basis, it loses money. Any source of new revenue is highly sought after.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuserofthisaccount View Post
As stated In FY 2015 – 2016 City Manager’s recommended budget, p. 99 of this PDF:

(http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/modules...cumentid=27567)

“A General Fund contribution of $2.5 million is included to support operations in FY 15-16. This transfer is necessary to support the War Memorial Coliseum Complex operations not otherwise offset by user fees.”

According to the vertical figures at the bottom of p.98 in the same PDF, the complex operated at a loss in 2013 – 2014 – although I will admit it’s close – and is projected to break even for the 2014 – 2015 fiscal year.

My point is that, as a taxpayer (and I don’t even live in Greensboro), you always want your tax dollars to be maximized … and you would always want city facilities to be used as much as possible. A look at the calendar view of the Coliseum’s web page shows 14 days of no events in June and 22 days of no events in July (Events | Official Website of Greensboro Coliseum Complex).
Let's compare to other successful arenas in larger cities:

Philips Arena, Atlanta - 18 open dates in June, 26 in July
American Airlines Arena, Miami - 26 open dates in June, 27 in July
Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte - 26 open dates in June, 27 in July
Madison Square Garden, NYC - 14 open dates in June, 22 in July

See a pattern? Even in the busiest months in the busiest arenas there are several open dates. This is not uncommon. I would say Greensboro is doing quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point