Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:47 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I hope it happens - this would be a nice large scale project for W-S.
I hope so too, but its very ambitious, and 2 previous development plans for the area have come to naught. Crossing my fingers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Additional info from WXII's site, which addresses some of the questions people have posted in this thread, plus it has some other renderings of the project which look pretty cool.

The deal with the parking garage is that it would be available for games, and would be constructed with public funds... sort of. The garage would be financed using the tax revenue from the development.

They also say that if everything is approved, construction could start before the end of 2015.

New development proposed near BB&T Ballpark | Local News - WXII Home

Old 05-07-2015, 08:48 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
great project! looks like a multi year project that will be built in phases. finally something great to fill in all that dead space.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:57 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,180 times
If this all gets built as planned, it'll be huge for downtown (and for the city). I get the concern about all of the new higher end apartments, but to some extent the creation of more supply spurs more demand. That is, as more projects are built/renovated downtown and it becomes more and more desirable to live there, more people will want to live there and more employers will want to be there - thus creating more demand in a snowball effect.

I've thought since moving here that the ballpark area (as nice as the stadium is) was kind of a disappointing, empty gap in the downtown fabric. Boy will that all change soon.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
If this all gets built as planned, it'll be huge for downtown (and for the city). I get the concern about all of the new higher end apartments, but to some extent the creation of more supply spurs more demand. That is, as more projects are built/renovated downtown and it becomes more and more desirable to live there, more people will want to live there and more employers will want to be there - thus creating more demand in a snowball effect.

I've thought since moving here that the ballpark area (as nice as the stadium is) was kind of a disappointing, empty gap in the downtown fabric. Boy will that all change soon.
There's truth in this to a point. I think demand will expand as the city becomes more desirable. That has already been happening for a decade. I just worry about oversaturation. Hopefully my worries are unfounded.

One other thing to remember about connecting the ballpark with the rest of downtown, which is something I'm excited about too, is that this is only the first step. There are still several blocks of surface parking and empty lots standing between the park and either the 4th St corridor or the Burke St area, and when I first read about this development, I was especially excited because I thought this development was going north of 1st St, taking out some of the uglier lots around there. But if this goes well, new development will follow on those parcels.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:37 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,424,950 times
The difference between this project and previous attempts is that the previous attempts occurred during the depths of the recession and economic malaise, whereas, we are not only in an economic boom right now, but Downtown Winston-Salem is experiencing an unprecedented renaissance that is gaining national attention.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:46 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
The difference between this project and previous attempts is that the previous attempts occurred during the depths of the recession and economic malaise, whereas, we are not only in an economic boom right now, but Downtown Winston-Salem is experiencing an unprecedented renaissance that is gaining national attention.
Hmm, maybe. Lindbrook's office building was announced in late summer of 2011...the recession was well over by then. Things are certainly humming along better right now, but I'm not so sure that project getting pulled can be blamed on the recession.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:52 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,424,950 times
Even in 2011, it was still very difficult to get financing for major residential and commercial projects, except maybe in a few cities like DC.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Even in 2011, it was still very difficult to get financing for major residential and commercial projects, except maybe in a few cities like DC.
Absolutely. I know this makes me sound like Captain Obvious, but that last project was not even three years removed from the beginning of the crash and even closer to the worst of it. The Dow never passed 13500 during 2011 and slumped as low as the 11000s, and national unemployment was 8.5% (to the extent that any of these numbers are indicators). And that's all just the national picture. The state of downtown WS is much improved, even over 4 years ago.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:29 AM

322 posts, read 666,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Hmm, maybe. Lindbrook's office building was announced in late summer of 2011...the recession was well over by then. Things are certainly humming along better right now, but I'm not so sure that project getting pulled can be blamed on the recession.

Things must be pretty bulletproof in Southport, but here in Charlotte, the recession was not over in 2011, and still isn't. I work retail management, and retail is still not what it was before the Great Recession broke in '08. We may be far from what things were, but we're by no means back full steam to prior spending by consumers. Building and lending has rebounded, but what is booming right now is rental property, and not single family.

Tarheel is correct, things in Winston-Salem are on a roll right now, thanks primarily to activity and development in the East End/WFIQ. There are several other big projects that are in the works that have not been announced yet. And hopefully all this activity will renew interest in the streetcar/trolley system that has been proposed from WSSU to WFUBMC.

Last edited by wsnc62; 05-08-2015 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point