Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times

Advertisements

I just LOVE the Oak Ridge area. I think you made a great choice of places to live. I can't really add much more than what others have already said.

In terms of the catholic churches, there's plenty around to choose from. My brother -in-law and his family attend Saint Pius in Greensboro - about 15 - 20 minutes away from Oak Ridge. My parents-in-law attend a Catholic church in Kernersville. About the same distance away, although I'm not sure what that church is called.

Shouldn't have any worries on wild dogs. You mostly have to watch for deer, squirrels, stray cats, the occasional wild turkey, etc.... but I haven't really seen any wild/loose dogs around Oak Ridge. They do a pretty good job with animal control.

You mentioned something about sewage. What specific questions did you have with that? There are several neighborhoods without HOAs in Oak Ridge, and many of those neighborhoods have houses that have their own wells and sewage lines (like ours.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 07:45 AM

22 posts, read 24,744 times
Hi all, I just came from the closing last Friday, I got a few things done, yard work, electricity, water. I was there two days and I got a lot of problems with delays in the Greensboro airport from Harford, Ct. Anyway I got in contact with a person across the street and she recomend a Security company but this house needs a lot of yard work, trees are overgrown and wild blocking the sun light. We got someone for the yard and leaves in fall. Where is the city yard? I do have to cuts a lot green and get a new roof, last owner was careless.

"Guess what...it gets hot in the summer down here...it can be brutal for running...even in the morning. In the summer it might in in the 70's overnight...but humidity is in the 90's " thank you for the tip, right here in CT running in winter with snow and Ice is difficult too I usually get up very early before sunrise for running. I tell you one of the best places for running is Alaska were Anchorage and Fairbanks have trails all around the city for easy running. I took a look around Oak Ridge in Google the roads dont have a lot of shoulder. I will take the side roads for sure

I saw around the house a pipe coming out from the grass, we think is the sewer, we still puzzle about it.

I love flee markets, my daughter was happy to see a lot of farming chickens in one of them last time she was there, we want to know if there is a flee market in Oak Ridge.

Thank you all, my wife will be in the house June 20 for two weeks, unfortunaly I will be there for 4 the July weekend only.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:56 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1018 View Post
Hi all, I just came from the closing last Friday, I got a few things done, yard work, electricity, water. I was there two days and I got a lot of problems with delays in the Greensboro airport from Harford, Ct. Anyway I got in contact with a person across the street and she recomend a Security company but this house needs a lot of yard work, trees are overgrown and wild blocking the sun light. We got someone for the yard and leaves in fall. Where is the city yard? I do have to cuts a lot green and get a new roof, last owner was careless.
What do you mean by "city yard"? A place to dispose of yard waste? Again, I'd call the Town of Oak Ridge and ask...(336)644-7009.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:49 PM

yes, thank you for the phone number, I m thinking the place where I can dispose all the green from the trees....

Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 AM

149 posts, read 250,657 times
The pipe sticking up is probably part of the septic system. I think this allows them to pump it out without removing the top of the tank. (which would mess up your yard). Typically these are white PVC, about 6" diameter.

All in all, NC is a great place to run. The summer's are hot and humid, but the fall and winter are awesome.

I'd again advise again running on roads. There might be a nice trail on the way to where you work, and if you could shower at work, it would work out nice. (a fitness club or Y would work also)

In addition to the trails and greenway near Bur-Mil and the northern part of the city, there is a pretty good stretch that runs down to high point, kind of parallel to 68.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:33 PM

thank you booney56, is a PVC pipe coming out from the ground, we usually slow down running in winter here in North East, because of the extreme weather, I think in NC is the opposite, too hot and humid in Summer but beautiful in Fall and winter..

Old 06-05-2015, 11:22 AM

The good news about having a well and septic system...no city/county fees!!

As far as running goes, we are not Florida hot, but it's pretty warm and humid. Everybody still runs in the summer.
All the XC kids runs all summer, usually in the morning or evening. It's just for long runs, you have to really watch the hydration. A lot of the trails and greenways are especially nice...cause of shade!!

Old 06-11-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
The good news about having a well and septic system...no city/county fees!!
booney56, I'm paying in CT Stratford, $6000 a year in taxes for the city and the state and we are feeling life is going away so fast that we dont have time to enjoy around. The point is the North east area is so crazy and fast that we dont want this for our daughter. My daughter ( 8 years old) school is done next week, my wife is driving down for High Ridge next day after last day of school. I will join them for the four of July. They will sleep in the empty house and enjoy the area, I m so glad for them. I heard there is a Water Park near Greensboro.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:45 PM

Wet n Wild Emerald Point, off of South Holden. It's on the opposite side of the city from Oak Ridge.

Check out the Oak Ridge community pool.

OAK RIDGE SWIM CLUB

It's pricey to joint, but the annual membership is not too bad. Part of the fee is "stock" in the organization, which you can sell when you leave. It would be a good way for your wife and daughter to meet people. Around here many Mom's and kids go every day to the pool. It's near the school, off of 150.

One difference between NC and the NE is that there are very few swimming places at the lakes around here.
Greensboro, has a few public pools, but they are pretty crowded. The nearest one to Oak Ridge is Bur-Mil.
(it is a nice pool...zero entry...water fountains...etc..)

The taxes in the NE are insane. Around here there are great taxes, traffic and commutes are pretty reasonable.
Oh yeah....the weather...is fabulous. When your daughter is older, the public state colleges are good and very affordable. There are an incredible variety of choices....

Old 07-19-2015, 03:51 PM

We got back two weeks ago, we got a good time, Weatherstone is a friendly, warm, place, everybody was saying hello early in the morning during my running even the mosquitoes next to the Gas company,( got a spray from Food Lion) but the place is very nice. I worked a lot outside, the house was needing pruning, we took a few trips to the outdoor market area and Greensboro where I was amazed how they keep the old building alive with the years. I saw a lot of people friday before 4 of July walking around downtown. Looking forward to go again to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point