Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 06:29 AM

102 posts, read 121,658 times

Advertisements

I have never been in the building but i think it will be a tough sell due to the small size of the building from the outside. It does not look like alot of SF. I know a current bar owner downtown is getting ready to open a new business and looked into this building when it was put up for sale and she said it is way too small for what she wants to do. What I would like to go in there would be Kelly Days which is the cop/ fire bar located under camel city bbq. I think it will need a to be just a small neighborhood type of bar place due to the size. I know it will be costly from what i heard the inside looks like. They say it might have to be stripped to the studs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 04:41 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Anybody knows what's going on with plans around Winston-Salem's ballpark? Looks like they need to find some local developers to pull something off. Having developers across the country come into town is good but often its more about making a quick buck where they can whereas local developers have a vested interest and pride building something in their home town. Its probably a good idea that they start over with a new developer anyway if he hasn't already abandoned plans. It started out as an impressive village style development on stadium grounds and on surrounding property but it was scaled back dramatically in size and the latest design is lackluster. If I were Billy Prim and Winston-Salem city leaders I would try to get on the ball and find a developer who will build something special. NC cities all over the state are building impressive developments in and around their ballparks. Right now the field of dreams is surrounded by a field of asphalt and grass and Winston-Salem can do better than what that other developer is planning considering what's happening around Durham and Greensboro's ballparks which is much larger in scale and scope. Kannapolis even has a better plan. The city needs to bail out and start over because once its built, its there for decades to come.

Definitely a lot of great potential. BB&T Ballpark has a different atmosphere than Durham or Greensboro's ballpark. Its more of a neighborhood ballpark and sits away from the urban street grid of downtown and is in a cozy residential part of downtown . So a good plan could really activate this area of downtown with more retail, restaurants and entertainment.

Latest rendering

Original design

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-31-2019 at 05:12 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 08:17 PM

322 posts, read 666,476 times
Kannapolis even has a “better plan?” Where do you get your information? Have you even been to Intimidator Stadium? I doubt it. It is two miles from downtown Kannapolis, bound on one side by a lake, and I85 on the opposite side, and accessed by a wooded service road. I’d love to know about these better plans you refer to...

I’m afraid you’re out of touch with anything outside Greensboro. The aerial photo is about ten years old, at least. There is development going on all around BB&T Ballpark, including Salem Parkway (that’s commonly known as the Business I40, currently being refurbished), with pedestrian bridges, bike path tunnels, and stroll way connectors. I’ll let you do the rest on the Link Apartments and West End Village.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:31 PM

I doubt it? I stay in touch with other areas. This is part of Kannapolis planned ballpark development. The ballpark development actually encompasses a larger area than the rendering shows and even includes a nearby performing arts center. This looks a lot like Winston-Salem's first rendering. This is why I said Winston-Salem needs to scrap the updated plan. The city can do much better when you start looking at what the other large cities and smaller communities in North Carolina are doing.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-02-2019 at 09:43 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 09:47 PM

That is a proposal, not reality. The Intimidator Stadium, again, is not currently even in the master plan shown, or pretty picture.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
That is a proposal, not reality. The Intimidator Stadium, again, is not currently even in the master plan shown, or pretty picture.
Proposals do turn into reality. While no proposal is a done deal, when you compare the Winston-Salem rendering to this, Winston-Salem needs to do better. You have Durham and Greensboro going dense with midrises and highrises packing a lot around their ballparks and even Fayetteville. I'm not knocking Winston-Salem. Just the opposite, I think the city can do something special with all that open land around its ballpark. The first proposal for Winston-Salem would have been amazing but there is potential to do even better than that if the city and Prim makes a move to put the breaks on and work with another developer. The current developer is really sticking it to the city and is only worried about his pockets.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:14 PM

The proposal you show for Kannapolis is for development around a stadium that does not even exist. Your point is taken for potential, but your facts become very blurry when you are attempting to critique work that is in progress, and someone’s dream of what something might look like with pretty plans and renderings. My central point, again, is that Kannapolis’ stadium that currently exists is NOT the one in the rendering you show, at all. If that town builds a new stadium at some point with surrounding development, then, we have a new conversation. But to compare someone’s pie in the sky with what is currently in progress is meaningless. You don’t know what is currently on the table for the Winston-Salem ballpark.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:17 PM

Of course it doesn't exist but its a plan to make it exist. Every development starts out as a plan or a proposal. Yes proposals do change but my point is Winston-Salem can do much better than that latest rendering which looks like a design someone came up with on a standard 3d architects computer program. It looks totally out of place with the ballpark itself which is well designed. Phase 2 is totally suburban with a retail shopping center and parking lot. Its like the development is designed for the automobile and not the pedestrian. Even the hotel, which appears to be an Aloft is a suburban style airport Aloft. Again this is why I say start over and do it the right way. Winston-Salem deserves better.

Also What if a developer built something around the ballpark no other city is doing? That would set Winston-Salem apart from the other cities.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-02-2019 at 10:40 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 10:30 PM

Winston Salem doesn’t “need” to do better just to satisfy you. Maybe it is not trying to one up Greensboro, Durham, or even Little Kannapolis, with ballpark development, or who has a bigger PAC. Always competition to see who can outdo the other. I don’t expect one city or town’s development to be constantly measured by the other. Especially with the mediocrity I see going up in most of our cities in terms of architecture.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Winston Salem doesn’t “need” to do better just to satisfy you. Maybe it is not trying to one up Greensboro, Durham, or even Little Kannapolis, with ballpark development, or who has a bigger PAC. Always competition to see who can outdo the other. I don’t expect one city or town’s development to be constantly measured by the other. Especially with the mediocrity I see going up in most of our cities in terms of architecture.
Believe it or not its always about competition. For example after Greensboro built its aquatic center it was the largest and most state-of-the-art aquatic center in the state. Then Raleigh decided to expand its center to make it larger. Now Greensboro is expanding its center again which will keep it on top. Its always about competition because cities are competing with one another for jobs, events etc. Its a pattern we have seen for years. When one city does something another one will follow. We've seen it with ballparks, performing arts centers and research parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point