Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 12:57 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Update on the redevelopment of the former GMAC building, along with possible new residential towers:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blo...1&t=1450194130

I was just coming here to post this one...even more residential development for downtown! From the Winston-Salem Journal:

"Grubb Properties, a Charlotte-based developer, and a company managed by local developer John Reece II each want to buy the City Center West parking deck in the 600 block of West Fourth Street from the city. Grubb is proposing to renovate the vacant GMAC insurance building on Fifth Street and surround it with two apartment buildings containing 300 to 343 apartments, in a deal that could involve $75 million in new investment downtown. Grubb wants the deck to provide parking to the development."
Developer proposes GMAC renovation and apartment construction - Winston-Salem Journal: Local News

The GMAC Tower
gmac building winston - Bing images

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-19-2017 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: hotlinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 04:26 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I was just coming here to post this one...even more residential development for downtown! From the Winston-Salem Journal:

"Grubb Properties, a Charlotte-based developer, and a company managed by local developer John Reece II each want to buy the City Center West parking deck in the 600 block of West Fourth Street from the city. Grubb is proposing to renovate the vacant GMAC insurance building on Fifth Street and surround it with two apartment buildings containing 300 to 343 apartments, in a deal that could involve $75 million in new investment downtown. Grubb wants the deck to provide parking to the development."
Developer proposes GMAC renovation and apartment construction - Winston-Salem Journal: Local News

The GMAC Tower
\
gmac building winston - Bing images
Nothings more an eyesore than a large vacant building. Good that somebody has interest in repurposing the GMAC building.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:18 AM

4,590 posts, read 6,419,537 times
The question is which project should get the parking garage?

Old 12-16-2015, 04:15 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,960 times
The restaurant for the Cardinal Hotel in the former RJR building has been announced:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/new...1&t=1450307606

Sounds pretty exciting.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Nothings more an eyesore than a large vacant building. Good that somebody has interest in repurposing the GMAC building.

Well...I don't think this beautiful building has achieved eyesore status just yet. It's been empty for a couple of years since GMAC moved its employees elsewhere, but it hasn't gone into decline or anything. This developer would upgrade it to Class A office space, so that would be great for attracting a tenant.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:47 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,283 times
Quote:
Well...I don't think this beautiful building has achieved eyesore status just yet. It's been empty for a couple of years since GMAC moved its employees elsewhere, but it hasn't gone into decline or anything. This developer would upgrade it to Class A office space, so that would be great for attracting a tenant.
I think the GMAC building is beautiful, but only the part cladded in glass, if it was all glass, it would be my second fav building in the W-S skyline, even moreso then the BB&T tower.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Even if the building hasn't reached dilapidation the vacant structure has a very hollow aura for obvious reasons.
Before Carroll invested into Center Pointe the building was just there; nobody taking smoke breaks, no lunch goers, nothing, just dead. Kind of what I was getting at.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Even if the building hasn't reached dilapidation the vacant structure has a very hollow aura for obvious reasons.
Before Carroll invested into Center Pointe the building was just there; nobody taking smoke breaks, no lunch goers, nothing, just dead. Kind of what I was getting at.
Can you even tell that it's vacant? I can't...it's not like we would even know if it weren't in the media. And it's been vacant for less than a year - hardly anywhere near an eyesore. I don't understand the point of making such a weird comment.

This building is in a busy area...it's not dead around there by any stretch of the imagination, even with this building vacant.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 12-27-2015 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 01:41 PM

Winston-Salem and Forsyth County each voted unanimously to chip in $3 million toward the Bailey Power Plant project in the Innovation Quarter. Discussions on the downtown project have included a theater, bowling alley, restaurants, a museum, and other entertainment options. City, county approve Bailey Power Plant aid - Winston-Salem Journal: Local News

"Estimated costs to redevelop Bailey are about $40 million, and the nearby 60s Buildings are being redeveloped to house the Wake Forest School of Medicine and parts of the Wake Forest University campus. That project is estimated to require $111 million in redevelopment costs."

bailey power plant winston - Bing images

Old 12-27-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Can you even tell that it's vacant? I can't...it's not like we would even know if it weren't in the media. And it's been vacant for less than a year - hardly anywhere near an eyesore. I don't understand the point of making such a weird comment.

This building is in a busy area...it's not dead around there by any stretch of the imagination, even with this building vacant.
Sure, if you spend enough time there but, probably not to the casual observer or passer-by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point