Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 06:28 AM

261 posts, read 380,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Why is the project not viable? It's not a pie in the sky proposal. Remember 3 office towers totalling more square footage than Roy Carrolls proposal were built in the late 1980s. Its happened before, it can happen again. With the growth trends in downtown Greensboro today it's only a matter of when not if.
As has been pointed out multiple times on this thread, its VERY pie in the sky. The pre-leasing requirements make it almost impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 07:11 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
It appears that it was never really viable to begin with and he knew it. This seems to be a trend in Greensboro.
You really have an ax to grind, don't you? Are you from GSO? How long since you've lived there?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:30 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
You really have an ax to grind, don't you? Are you from GSO? How long since you've lived there?
I have no ax to grind, I just despise BS.

For years now we've been reading posts on this and other sites that claim grandiose things coming to Greensboro, only for it to be proven impractical. All of these "announcements" are surrounded by hype, with not substance to back it up, and usually these concepts are either taken from more successful cities or are meant to one up other cities.

Roy Carroll said himself in an article that it would be nice for Greensboro to have "bragging" rights by having a taller tower than Raleigh, Durham, etc. He also stated in that same article that it was basically a dream.

When you look at all of the components that go into making a skyscraper of this sort work, you will quickly see that the math is just not there. There is nothing wrong with striving to progress and improve one's city, but the way this city is going about it is just wrong. This city has a major chip on its shoulder and it only seems to keep getting worse.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:33 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Roy Carroll said himself in an article that it would be nice for Greensboro to have "bragging" rights by having a taller tower than Raleigh, Durham, etc. He also stated in that same article that it was basically a dream.

When you look at all of the components that go into making a skyscraper of this sort work, you will quickly see that the math is just not there.
All reasonable. I've said the same thing in this thread, essentially, as have many others (multiple times).

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with striving to progress and improve one's city, but the way this city is going about it is just wrong. This city has a major chip on its shoulder and it only seems to keep getting worse.
But here's the ax. So one developer (Carroll) threw out a pie-in-the-sky building proposal and a few anonymous internet dreamers got excited about it. So that extrapolates to a city striving toward progress in the wrong way? I just don't see the same sort of endemic boosterism that you do. The Triad cities (WS and GSO, anyway) have some things going on, and have some residents who like to throw out a dream or two from time to time. But I think that the leadership- public and private in both cities- is pretty realistic. If anything, I've seen a touch of the small-thinking at which Carroll was taking aim with this very proposal... which he all but admitted was a rhetorical exercise.

I ask this honestly: How would you prefer to see the residents of Greensboro think about their city? And I am particularly curious to know if you actually live in Greensboro or spend significant time there.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:03 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
As has been pointed out multiple times on this thread, its VERY pie in the sky. The pre-leasing requirements make it almost impossible.
I don't think it's pie in the sky and it would be even more viable if he included apartments. In terms of office space he can go about it two ways. One big tenant or multiple smaller size tenants. Clearly there is a demand for office space down considering one office building was completed and another smaller one is in the works. One thing about Roy Carroll is when he proposes something he makes it happen. Many would have said Bellemeade Village was pie in the sky and some of the same skeptics said a hotel would never be built downtown anytime soon and now a Hyatt Place hotel is now under construction. Don't under estimate Roy Carroll or Greensboro.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-09-2016 at 12:15 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
For years now we've been reading posts on this and other sites that claim grandiose things coming to Greensboro, only for it to be proven impractical. All of these "announcements" are surrounded by hype, with not substance to back it up, and usually these concepts are either taken from more successful cities or are meant to one up other cities.
Such as? And this is unique to Greensboro?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's pie in the sky and it would be even more viable if he included apartments. In terms of office space he can go about it two ways. One big tenant or multiple smaller size tenants. Clearly there is a demand for office space down considering one office building was completed and another smaller one is in the works. One thing about Roy Carroll is when he proposes something he makes it happen. Many would have said Bellemeade Village was pie in the sky and some of the same skeptics said a hotel would never be built downtown anytime soon and now a Hyatt Place hotel is now under construction. Don't under estimate Roy Carroll or Greensboro.
Thats nice, but doesn't change reality.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:29 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
Such as? And this is unique to Greensboro?
Exactly...grand proposals that never come to fruition are common in every city on Earth. Developers often have to scale down proposals to meet more realistic parameters - Greensboro is definitely not unique in that respect.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:56 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Exactly...grand proposals that never come to fruition are common in every city on Earth. Developers often have to scale down proposals to meet more realistic parameters - Greensboro is definitely not unique in that respect.
Whats so grand about it? It's a skyscraper, not a Greensboro Triumph Center

Old 02-21-2016, 06:09 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Whats so grand about it? It's a skyscraper, not a Greensboro Triumph Center

Um...the tallest building in Greensboro? That's pretty grand in my book. It would be a game-changer on the skyline. A new tallest is a very big development for any city...I guess it's grand enough to have its own thread with 19 pages.

There is no need to be defensive...I was agreeing that there are no more unrealized proposals in Greensboro than in any other city, unlike the person that said there are always grandiose proposals for GSO that never happen. This happens everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point