Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 05:27 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
LOL...I absolutely knew that my comment would evoke this kind of response. It's a glowing example of the reason there will never be any true Triadism in our lifetimes. Thank you for proving it!

The sentiments coming out of High Point are echoed in Winston-Salem. Greensboro seems to be constantly looking for partnerships between the Triad cities and then reaping all of the rewards of them, and this has been evident in past situations. I'm glad the leaders in High Point have caught on.

The "one-upmanship" I mentioned that oozes from the Greensboro area is not reciprocated in Winston-Salem in the least. There is a desperation to always be a step ahead over there that is blatantly obvious, and this announcement reeks of it. It's funny how much I like Greensboro, having been a resident there for several years in the past, but I certainly don't like the desperate boosterism.
Yeah, this is your opinion because you cannot provide proof of either. It really displays your distaste for Greensboro even though your try to put on an unbiased front. IMO, you making this reference of "one upmanship" displays your insecurity.

You show me where any developer in Greensboro made any reference to one-upping Winston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Joe, we're talking about someone here that would argue about whether Whitsett NC is within the Greensboro city limits back when Lenovo announced they were expanding there. Sorry, but no where near, on my map. Talk about people digging up the posts, and arguing with the hole, who knows?

""who gives a s**t about High Point? ""

That attitude is about par for the course not only for the 'triad' thing, but as for overall chairside opinions in the internet society we live in today. We all know about how cooperation works amongst the triad cities, so we don't even need a discussion about it. It won't be solved or improved upon on this forum.
My attitude about High Point comes from living in and near the city nearly all of my life. And by near I mean just on the out skirts. Greensboro leaders recognize High Point's Wal-Mart mentality that Joe Tarheel has backwards, even Winston knows this. A few years back High Point had the audacity to request funding from Winston & Greensboro related to the furniture market. Both cities declined. There is cooperation and there is panhandling. Winston and Greensboro are beyond capable of standing on their own, but the only attraction High Point has is the furniture market and if the city ever loses that Jamestown will be able to snap it up for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited by WFW&P; 06-19-2015 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 06:28 PM

322 posts, read 666,694 times
Then you should know better than anyone that Winston-Salem and Greensboro both benefit tremendously from market as much as High Point. Come on, man, High Point is not trying to subsidize it's well being from anybody. It does not have enough hotel keys to support 50-100,00 furniture market visitors. The vast majority of those market goers are filling rooms in Winston-Salem and Greensboro. So, why shouldn't it ask for help from the beneficiary cities of its event? Too bad you feel such distaste for High Point....I feel the same way for Greensboro. Of course this is an open forum, and we're all entitled to our own opinion, whether someone else wants to argue till the cows come home, or not.

Last edited by wsnc62; 06-19-2015 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 06:32 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,222,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Too bad you feel such distaste for High Point....I feel the same way for Greensboro.
Well at least you finally admitted it.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:51 PM

I am puzzled with the 561 ft height versus the 28 stories in this proposed building. Project 561 would be 100 feet taller than the Wells Fargo Tower in Winston-Salem yet that tower is 29 stories. The only thing I can think of is the parking levels not being included. The tower is suppose to sit on top of a 6 story parking structure so maybe its a 28 story tower on top of a 6 story deck (34 stories) a spire or pyramid top of some sort could account for the remainder of the height.

The more expensive design option Carroll mentioned doesn't look like the Dubia Sail Building but resembles it in terms of a curved glass surface. I really do hope Carroll goes with that option.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:54 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Yeah, this is your opinion because you cannot provide proof of either. It really displays your distaste for Greensboro even though your try to put on an unbiased front. IMO, you making this reference of "one upmanship" displays your insecurity.

You show me where any developer in Greensboro made any reference to one-upping Winston.

"...and would be 100 feet taller than the Wells Fargo Tower in Winston-Salem which is currently the Triad's tallest." There you go.

I can guarantee you that anytime Winston-Salem puts up a new building there is rarely any mention of it being compared to anything in Greensboro. But there always seems to be some insecure mention of how something being built in Greensboro is larger/taller/grander compared to something similar in Winston-Salem. THAT is the inferiority complex talking. It's real.

Trying to spin it around on me is just silly. I do actually have an unbiased viewpoint, and it points to exactly what I'm saying here. I have lived in both cities and there isn't much difference in the two, but the difference comes in the chest thumping and posturing that always seems to be coming out of Greensboro for some reason. My theory is the larger skyline in Winston-Salem evokes the inferiority complex, therefore some people feel the need to constantly one-up whatever is going on there. It's easy to see from the outside looking in, but it's totally unnecessary. Each city has its own merits.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-19-2015 at 07:18 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I am puzzled with the 561 ft height versus the 28 stories in this proposed building. Project 561 would be 100 feet taller than the Wells Fargo Tower in Winston-Salem yet that tower is 29 stories. The only thing I can think of is the parking levels not being included. The tower is suppose to sit on top of a 6 story parking structure so maybe its a 28 story tower on top of a 6 story deck (34 stories) a spire or pyramid top of some sort could account for the remainder of the height.
100 N. Main (former Wells Fargo Center) is 34 floors and has a 59' dome with mechanicals on top, similar to a crown. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_North_Main_Street Maybe you confused it with Winston Tower, which is 29 floors and 410'.

I'm not sure how a 28 floor building would be taller, even with a crown or spire. Any parking should be included in the total number of floors, so I don't think that's it either. A crown wouldn't all that much height, maybe 50' or so. The number of floor don't usually determine the height of a building, but this seems a bit off to me.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-19-2015 at 07:19 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 PM

I am confused this link says the Wells Fargo Center is 29 stories. But whether its 29 or 34 it does seem off unless the floors themselves are higher in Carroll's planned building or it has a really tall spire or crown.

For sale: Wells Fargo Center in downtown Winston-Salem - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal

Old 06-19-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I am confused this link says the Wells Fargo Center is 29 stories. But whether its 29 or 34 it does seem off unless the floors themselves are higher in Carroll's planned building or it has a really tall spire or crown.

For sale: Wells Fargo Center in downtown Winston-Salem - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal
TBJ isn't known for accuracy. It is 34 floors.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:01 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
"...and would be 100 feet taller than the Wells Fargo Tower in Winston-Salem which is currently the Triad's tallest." There you go.
Said by whom? Site your source. And where in that statement is the implication that Greensboro must one up Winston other than your opinion? And when was the WF tower built? That's a rhetorical question to demonstrate that planning a structure 100ft taller than a 20 year old building is hardly one upmanship.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:33 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
I view Greensboro & Winston-Salem autonomously and I actually have a distaste for Greensboro. I have hardly any reason as I've been.. maybe twice to Greensboro for a few minutes. Winston-Salem I always loved. Charlotte, Wilmington and Winston-Salem are the 3 NC Cities I like. My friend who lives in Winston-Salem, like 2 miles away from downtown, prefers Greensboro and spends his free time in Greensboro. But I always make us stay in Winston when I go there. Actually, for our birthdays (a few days apart) we'll be going to Greensboro to do a few things. Bicentennial Garden, Bog Garden and Darryl's to eat (My idea was eating at Solstice in NoDa CLT and spending the night Uptown).

That being said I'm not sure how this proposed office tower is viewed as a one up on Winston. Nothing indicated to me by any Greensboro poster or any article any malice or showmans ship towards Winston. And if gsoBoi78 is the same poster as CityBoi on other development forums (which he has similar posting habits) then I've been following him since around 2005 and never known that poster at all to slight Winston and would never show boat a new tallest building to look better than Winston.... At all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point