Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 11:57 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times

Advertisements

Okay ... I know I'm going to get in trouble with this one, but I keep hearing this around Greensboro lately.
At first I kinda paused, and said, "Hmmm.... maybe."

Then I heard it several more times.
And I began thinking about it.
Now... I KNOW everyone loves their children and they want them to do well and have healthy levels of self-esteem ... but the "SMARTEST"??
I think this speaks to some deeper issues floating around about culture in the area in general.

To start, we typically measure worth by contribution don't we?
So, we have to look at a generation's Art, Music, and Philosophy.

Millennial Music
HAVE YOU HEARD SOME OF THIS STUFF?? ??
These are some of the wackiest love songs I have EVER heard! Lyrics:
  1. "... if I go to jail tonight, will you bail me out..." (WHAT is this? The anthem for dysfunctional criminals??? These two are toast before they begin!!)
  2. "... I was looking for a KILLER and I found you and now I'm addicted..." (gurl! if you don't get your big rusty behind away from ME!! )
  3. "... What would I do without your smart mouth/ Drawing me in, and you kicking me out..." (Oh yeah, and five years from now, this will be, "DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HOUSE NUMBER ONE" on the block... WHAT ARE THEY THINKING??!?!?!)
((LOLO))

Okay... so this is the Age of Narcissism and bullying is supposedly the answer to low-self esteems... but the larger question I have... because it was young women who each time said this ... is there a.. deeper issue with Agitated Depression going on?

Is this about projecting an image of, "Better Than"... just so a person won't feel, "Less than?"

I mean, how can people one day complain that North Carolina schools are now the worst rated for teachers in the nation one day... and the next tell their children ... THAT THEY'RE THE SMARTEST GENERATION THAT'S EVER LIVED?????

AM I MISSING SOMETHING???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 12:56 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Who says that? If anything, I think millennials (and I'm not one) get more guff than they deserve. Everyone thinks "kids today" are lazy, entitled, and a little ridiculous. That's a tale as old as time. I think there are things that make millennials extra-annoying, but plenty of redeeming factors too.

And is this suitable for the Greensboro thread? Seems pretty general.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:29 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Near worthless, with a few exceptions come to mind

Old 08-23-2015, 09:00 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
I don't know who is telling them any thing. Where are you hearing this?

Teenage arrogance is part of development. I teach at the college level and, generally speaking, my students are not arrogant or entitled. They ARE social work students, so they may have a different perspective.

I don't think it's part of the local culture.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:52 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
What a surprise - another painfully long and wordy comment. I hope you get everything off your chest...I guess city-data is cheaper than therapy.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:04 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Okay ... I know I'm going to get in trouble with this one, but I keep hearing this around Greensboro lately.
At first I kinda paused, and said, "Hmmm.... maybe."

Then I heard it several more times.
And I began thinking about it.
Now... I KNOW everyone loves their children and they want them to do well and have healthy levels of self-esteem ... but the "SMARTEST"??
I think this speaks to some deeper issues floating around about culture in the area in general.

To start, we typically measure worth by contribution don't we?
So, we have to look at a generation's Art, Music, and Philosophy.

Millennial Music
HAVE YOU HEARD SOME OF THIS STUFF?? ??
These are some of the wackiest love songs I have EVER heard! Lyrics:
  1. "... if I go to jail tonight, will you bail me out..." (WHAT is this? The anthem for dysfunctional criminals??? These two are toast before they begin!!)
  2. "... I was looking for a KILLER and I found you and now I'm addicted..." (gurl! if you don't get your big rusty behind away from ME!! )
  3. "... What would I do without your smart mouth/ Drawing me in, and you kicking me out..." (Oh yeah, and five years from now, this will be, "DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HOUSE NUMBER ONE" on the block... WHAT ARE THEY THINKING??!?!?!)
((LOLO))

Okay... so this is the Age of Narcissism and bullying is supposedly the answer to low-self esteems... but the larger question I have... because it was young women who each time said this ... is there a.. deeper issue with Agitated Depression going on?

Is this about projecting an image of, "Better Than"... just so a person won't feel, "Less than?"

I mean, how can people one day complain that North Carolina schools are now the worst rated for teachers in the nation one day... and the next tell their children ... THAT THEY'RE THE SMARTEST GENERATION THAT'S EVER LIVED?????

AM I MISSING SOMETHING???
You should lead by example... Try posting something that " contributes" and give yourself some " value".
Because this.. Is of no value to ANYONE.
And yes... You missed the entire boat.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:13 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You should lead by example... Try posting something that " contributes" and give yourself some " value".
Because this.. Is of no value to ANYONE.
And yes... You missed the entire boat.
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of: