Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 01:29 PM

12 posts, read 18,830 times

Advertisements

Planning to relocate from DC area. I'm from WS originally, so know that area much better. But it's looking like more job opportunities in Greensboro. It's funny because my family, who all live in Winston, hardly ever go to Greensboro unless they're going to the coliseum for a show or something. Is that the case for most people? Around here, it's common to drive 30-45 minutes to commute to work or get from place to place. I know the traffic is a lot less there (one of the reasons we're considering moving). Sometimes, they just act like, no why we go there for a kid's birthday party or why we visit that restaurant?

So how odd would it be if we lived in one city and worked in the other? How bad does traffic along 40 really get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 01:45 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,342,249 times
I commuted from G'boro to W-S at one time, although it was years ago. More recently I drove from W-S to G'boro at least twice a week for several years. For the area, thats a long commute, but coming from DC, I'm sure it wouldn't seem bad. Depending on where you're living/working, it would probably be 45 minutes or so. Thats longer than I'd sign up for now, but its really a personal decision.

One caveat is the upcoming closing of B-40 in downtown W-S. Thats going to put a lot of cars on other highways and streets, and no one knows what impact that might have in getting in and out of W-S on I-40.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:09 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,133,523 times
I know lots of people who make that commute in both directions. I used to do it myself. It's a piece of cake as far as commutes go, but if you have a choice about where to live I'd always suggest living in the city in which you work. You'll save lots of gas money, wear and tear on your car, and time.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:42 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,342,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbeachlovr View Post
Planning to relocate from DC area. I'm from WS originally, so know that area much better. But it's looking like more job opportunities in Greensboro. It's funny because my family, who all live in Winston, hardly ever go to Greensboro unless they're going to the coliseum for a show or something. Is that the case for most people? Around here, it's common to drive 30-45 minutes to commute to work or get from place to place. I know the traffic is a lot less there (one of the reasons we're considering moving). Sometimes, they just act like, no why we go there for a kid's birthday party or why we visit that restaurant?

So how odd would it be if we lived in one city and worked in the other? How bad does traffic along 40 really get?
Yes, I think thats the case for most people because there's really very little difference between the 2 cities. They are so similar, that there's just not much reason to go to the other. On a day to day basis, pretty much anything you can do in one, you can do in the other.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,171,260 times
Its not a bad commute at all and traffic is not as heavy as it is in the DC area. Thousands of people commute between Greensboro and Winston-Salem everyday. Some years ago it would have been quite a commute with a lower speed limit and two lanes of highway in each direction. But today the speed limit is higher and there are three to five lanes in each direction on much of I-40 now.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,982 times
OP here. I'm thinking that we would want to live in Winston to be closer to cousins, grandparents, etc. If we're moving to be closer to family and lived in Greensboro, it would be tough to see each other daily or even a couple times a week.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:56 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,337,085 times
It's not a terrible commute. The traffic usually isn't bad. I did it for years and know others who have as well. If you're used to commuting in DC, it should be a breeze.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:44 AM

17 posts, read 43,151 times
Default I-40 Traffic

I have lived in Winston for 18 years and I have had several jobs in Greensboro. Since they widened 40 years ago traffic is usually not a problem, except on Fridays travelling from GBO to Winston, but even then it is usually not too backed up unless there is an accident. If you are working by the airport in GBO, travelling from Winston is a breeze. If you live near I-40, Business 40, and Hwy 52, you will have more options as far as alternate routes.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:20 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,492,188 times
I'd recommend living closer to your job(s) and commuting to visit family unless you really think you'll be visiting family 7 days a week.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:18 PM

10 posts, read 13,463 times
I have been commuting between G-Boro and Winston for 11 years now. Other than the time fuel prices hit $4.00 a gallon, I have not thought with any great detail about living close to work. Over the years, I have only ran into maybe four co-workers. This may be a huge issue for the social group oriented individuals. For myself, the separation between work and personal acquaintances has worked well.

There are waves of traffic that at times is heavier than others. All dependent upon what hour people need to be in, and what time they are leaving. For those who are able to adjust accordingly, the drive to and fro, can be very nice.

In the mornings I am preparing for my day, mentally that is, during my 25 minute commute. The evenings I am winding down taking time to run through my check list before I reach the house.

As far as comparing the two cities, probably like most on here, we seem to stick with one or the other and seldom travel outside of our appointed radius unless absolutely necessary. The evenings and weekends are the times that I tend to be with friends. These times there may or may not be adult beverages. When I visit co-workers on the weekends for gatherings. I always have to get prepared for the ride back. I do not see a need to be pulled over, if it ever happens, and not be completely coherent.

When visiting friends in the city that I live, the same holds true. I plan on when I am leaving and adjust the fun as needed. Living in the same city as family and friends, for myself, has been way more rewarding than living five or 10 minutes from work.

My two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point