Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:06 PM

34 posts, read 159,248 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm thinking of moving from NJ to Greensboro and would like to know about the older single african american population. Older meaning 40's and 50's. I understand that Charlotte was voted as one of the best places for african americans.... but I'm not interested in living in Charlotte. I would really appreciate some feed back, especially from the african american community. I visited Raleigh this past June....beautiful area, very clean and nice people. But I don't want another Big city to live in. My next trip will be to Greensboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 06:56 PM

49 posts, read 228,752 times
I'm planning to relocate too. I've got a lot of helpful info here.

What's your profession? That might help folks out with some info for you.

Also, I was told here that there is a sizable black middle class in both Greensboro and Winston-Salem.

Goodluck

Old 11-15-2006, 07:27 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,586 times
You might consider Durham. It has a well educated Black community of all ages.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:37 PM

34 posts, read 159,248 times
I'm in the banking/insurance industry. I would not be interested in Durham from all that I have heard and read about. But thank you USAGirl and to Alice 61 I'll be visiting greensboro in March 07 Oh, USAGIRL...good luck with your relocation plans also.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:32 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
Greensboro's population is 53.6% white, 37.4% black, according to statistics. That's "significantly above" the state average.

We also have NC A&T State University, as well as a few other colleges.

I would expect there to be plenty of black professionals here. I've known a man (now probably in his 40s) who's an architect and is single (divorced with kids) for several years now. He goes to my church. There are several other good men and women in my church as well. Most of them are married though.

(I mention the folks in my church because we have about 50-55% whites, 40-45% blacks, 5% Hispanics. If I had to guess on percentages. )

My family and I live in a pre-dominantly black neighborhood. It's a good neighborhood with good people.

So, as I said, I would expect there to be plenty of black professionals in Greensboro. Good, decent, hard-working people.

All the best in your decision and I hope you enjoy your visit here.

Go here for more information and statistics:

//www.city-data.com/city/Greens...-Carolina.html

Old 11-16-2006, 04:38 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
I understand exactly where he's (she?) coming from. I'm white, and I can completely understand where a middle/upper class black family or individual moving to the south would want to live in a place with an established community of middle/upper class black families.

Perhaps those types of attitudes do make the divide between black & white worse. But in reality, I think for him and his family it would be something that is very important. We don't live in a sitcom, we live in a society with many pre-existing problems.

I moved to Greensboro from a southern town where the black upper class is non-existant, the black middle class is small and struggles, and the vast majority of blacks live in really bad neighborhoods. Greensboro is not at all like that. It does have its problems, but institutions like Winston-Salem State and NC A&T (and other HBCU's across North Carolina) make a HUGE positive difference IMO.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:29 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Am I the only one who is somewhat offended? What difference does it make if the community has black people or white people? If I had made a post asking for one of the "best places for white professionals" and asking for feedback from the "caucasian community", I would be labeled as a racist. I've had enough double standards.
Not sure what post you read- the thread author asked about an opinion about black professionals in Greensboro NOT about predominantly black middle class neighborhoods.

If you search the NC forum you will find posters who have requested information on mostly white neighborhoods, and they weren't labeled racist.

Hopefully this thread can stay respectful and not spin out of control. I'm not saying don't express your feelings (even though it's now off topic), but insure that it's respectful to the previous posters and those who will eventually read it.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:01 PM

110 posts, read 456,070 times
(I mention the folks in my church because we have about 50-55% whites, 40-45% blacks, 5% Hispanics. If I had to guess on percentages. )

I'd like to find a church like that! One thing I have been a little concerned about, moving to the south, is the vestiges of segregation, especially in the church. I don't really want to go to a church where we would be the only white people, but I also don't want to go to an all-white church. Are there very many mixed-race churches?

Old 11-18-2006, 06:21 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post

I'd like to find a church like that! One thing I have been a little concerned about, moving to the south, is the vestiges of segregation, especially in the church. I don't really want to go to a church where we would be the only white people, but I also don't want to go to an all-white church. Are there very many mixed-race churches?
Oh yeah, that will not be a problem in the Baptist church, (some of them) I don't know about the others though.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:48 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
There are churches that tend to be all white or all black (my best friend went to an all black church for years before she and her family began attending our church a little over 12 years ago; their friends from their old church couldn't believe they were going to attend a church with a white pastor lol), but I believe it's easier to find a mixed-race church than it used to be.

I would expect there to be a lot of all Hispanic churches. Just because many don't know the language or don't know it well enough to feel comfortable in a white or black or mixed-race church. We're blessed to have a good Spanish ministry. I'm sure many churches also have Spanish ministries or are wanting to start one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point