Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2015, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,057 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Trying this forum on the recommendation from a aquaintance.

Looking for ideas and suggestions to make new friends in the Winston Salem area. I say over 50 in the title line, but really a friend can be any age. Just letting it be known what I am. I am a divorced 50something female with a daughter and 2 dogs that live with me. I have lots of things I like to do and doing them alone is very unmotivating at times! Would love to make a few new friends for hanging out, going out, etc. I am SO definitely not looking for a hookup and that seems to be the problem on most sites. I promise, if that's your intention it won't take me long to figure it out. So, please, be real and I will too!

Pleasures: cooking, art, wine, movies, friends, family, dogs, music, coffee, outdoors, etc...etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 12:45 PM

26 posts, read 38,185 times
I am a 60's something woman with a grown son moving to WS next spring! I have already been signed up with
a meetup group called Time Out run by my realtor! It sounds like fun! I cant wait to move but have to sell first!

Claire
Ct

Old 11-08-2015, 02:24 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
To Angelique01, it seems that Meetup is a popular way these days to find people with similar interests. I would also suggest looking at the various non-profit organizations in W-S and find one that interests you and volunteering.... maybe the Forsyth Humane Society. Take a cooking class or wine appreciation classes, etc.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:24 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,339 times
Default The world is crazy for those of us over 60

The only constant is change ... and that means to those of us over 60... we're NOT in Kansas any more.

The values, the humor... the sensibilities of what is up and what is down has changed.

WE'VE changed!
I can feel my body stiffening and with it, many of my emotions. I can see I'm going to have to keep as active as possible as I age.

My suggestions on making new friends in the Brave New World ... is to:
  1. Walk outside
  2. Get a big stick
  3. WACK the first person you see walking past. (You may have to wait awhile.. everybody drives now)
  4. Drag them back to the house
  5. Tie them up in a chair ... and given the irritating opinions people have now days, you'll have to gag them too
  6. Remove the gag ONLY to offer them supper ... and replace it quickly when they start hollaring ... or discussing politics-- whichever comes first
Having done all that, you can now sit on the sofa and smile warmly at your new friend.
Feel free to talk about anything you want .... heck ... they're not going anywhere.

Should you not want to go through all that, I suggest you either get a dog, cat, or bird... or join a "MeetUp" group in your area that is focused on some activity you enjoy. Should you find someone in the group that you like... follow steps 1 - 6 listed above.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:35 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Do you dance? Carolina Shag dancing is a great way to meet people. Just google to find some clubs in your area.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:27 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
I volunteer at the Humane Society...it's very rewarding if you love dogs and the people are great. I have made several friends there. Actually volunteering in general is a good way to meet people, but since you are a fellow dog lover I thought this might be a good thing. Just go to forsythhumane.org

I've always thought that coffee shops, wine bars, and pubs are great for meeting people too. West End has some great ones (West End Tap Room is dog-friendly) and there are lots of choices for wine bars/coffee shops (Krankies downtown is a good coffee house).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of: