Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 09:10 PM

10 posts, read 34,041 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering an opportunity in Salisbury and want to live in the Winston-Salem area. Having read many posts and done some research, Clemmons appears to have some of the best schools, housing that appeals to me and my wife, and ammenities close by in Winston-Salem. My question is based on Mapquest directions, it appears to be a minimum of 50 minutes from Clemmons to Salisbury. Is this accurate? It is only 38 miles, but apparently the roads are not condusive to fast travel. If someone is currently making this trip, I would love to hear about it. Also, are there other options closer to Salisbury other than Clemmons that are still close to Winston-Salem. My wife will return to work in that area, and we need to be no more than twenty minutes from the city. I appreciate all of the local knowledge in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 09:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
That will not be a fun commute from Clemmons to Salisbury. There is several different routes you can take any of those either off 150 or 52 will seem grueling in my opinion after the third day. Then you have other factors you are going have to deal with possible fog especially the country back roads to Salisbury and possible icy road conditions making the trip to work hazardous.
If I had to choose Clemmons I would probably lean on the Davidson County side of the city and closet I could get to hwy 150 near Arcadia. Or look in locations around 801 close to Advance. Other option would be in the Welcome area around Hickory Tree Road.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:02 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
We have the same scenario: one of us works in downtown W-S, the other in Salisbury. The 801/64 crossroads area is roughly ½ way between those two points. We each give 45 minutes for the commute and usually get to work 15 minutes early. I know other people who live in Advance; one as far as Lewisville; who also work in Salisbury. The commute from our area to W-S is ½ back roads, ½ interstate. To Salisbury, it’s two-lanes until you hit Jake Alexander, unless you want to make a longer jog down to 70. The four-lane expansion of that road was completed a couple weeks ago. In the 10 years we’ve lived this life, I count two .. maybe three days where the weather was nasty enough to make the drive onerous. I’m more leery about deer than bad weather; I finally pegged one last spring after dodging the pesky things for years . Personally, I like the country drive to Salisbury. I’m set in a better mood going to work, and de-stressed coming home, when I take a few moments to check the farms along the way, noting the new babies in the spring, the plowing and cutting of hay in their seasons, and the fall colors. Beats fighting the ratted interstates.

If you decide to be west of the Yadkin River, the Advance/Hillsdale area is nice – quite affluent – and sure to grow even more once Wake Forest builds their hospital at the intersection of 801/40 (the Kinderton area). The state isn’t supposed to come to a decision allowing that expansion until February, but WF is already clearing land as if they expect it to be a done deal. A new soccer park was completed last year along the river and Tanglewood is just down the road. Be aware that the current 2-lane 158 bridge spanning the Yadkin River (which runs parallel to the I-40 bridge) is going to be replaced in 2008. The intention is to build the new bridge alongside the old, keeping the old one open and taking it down when the new one is complete. On both sides of the river are grocery stores (one being Lowes – a favorite among transplants) and restaurants. Mocksville – you can zip down 601 to Salisbury (or take 601-801-70) while your wife hops on I-40. The area around that town is growing; we have a super Walmart, restaurants going in; and a new medical facility that will replace the old hospital currently being used for emergencies and local care. The 801/64 area is rural; you’d be about 20 minutes from grocery stores; and Duke Power owns land upon which they expect to one day build a nuclear power plant. But who knows when that will happen. It could be 5 years or 20. No one in that area concerns themselves much about the issue, especially considering the development of Lake Norman – which exists because of a nuke plant. Schools in Davie County would probably be the main concern. From what I hear, the elementary and middle school situation is good (a new middle school opened this fall just south of Advance on 801); the high school – eh. One high school covers the county. There is controversy about how a much needed additional high school should be funded. No one wants to see any sort of tax increase implemented; two referendums have already been held and defeated in the last year. It will be built someday; the need is just too great; but not without a lot of squabbling. The farther west you get into Davie county the more natives you run into. The eastern side is where most of the transplants seem to prefer settling.

If you decide to look west of the Yadkin River, on the Davie County side, try poking around the GIS site http://maps.co.davie.nc.us/website/mapviewer/GISviewerhome.htm (broken link)
It's neat if you want information about property or are *cough* a nosy person

Good luck on your search

Old 01-03-2008, 12:47 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times
What about Lexington. 15-20 minutes from Salisbury (Interstate all the way I-85), and about 20-25 minutes from Winston-Salem (Interstate all the way 52, soon to be I-285).

Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 PM

222 posts, read 936,394 times
Salisbury is a 30 minute drive via 52/I-85 from the Hickory Tree/Midway/Arcadia area. From Clemmons proper, I'd say add 15-20 minutes.

You have 3 'addresses' in the NoDavidson area: Winston Salem, Clemmons, Lexington. The biggest 'pain' traveling this route to Salisbury is the short time you would be on I85, which is being widened and is much better than it used to be. I'm not sure when that project is to be completed, but I believe it's almost finished.

There is also talk about replacing the bridge on 85 that crosses the Yadkin River at Spencer. That could be a pain for a couple of years.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:06 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
Salisbury is a 30 minute drive via 52/I-85 from the Hickory Tree/Midway/Arcadia area. From Clemmons proper, I'd say add 15-20 minutes.

You have 3 'addresses' in the NoDavidson area: Winston Salem, Clemmons, Lexington. The biggest 'pain' traveling this route to Salisbury is the short time you would be on I85, which is being widened and is much better than it used to be. I'm not sure when that project is to be completed, but I believe it's almost finished.

There is also talk about replacing the bridge on 85 that crosses the Yadkin River at Spencer. That could be a pain for a couple of years.
A new hire to my Salisbury employer lives in Midway. I asked him about the commute and he stated that he allows about 45 minutes.

The I-85 construction is complete, but it only reaches the bridge. Once you cross the river and head north, it's back to the same old nasty travel pattern. The bridge itself is under consideration for replacement, but there's a lot of hem-hawing going on with no firm date or allocation of funds. The Salisbury Post is a good source for info; you can keep abreast of what's going on by reading the internet version Welcome to Salisbury Post Online Edition - Salisbury, NC - Serving Rowan County For Over 100 Years

The bad thing about commuting from above the river is that accidents occur quite regularly around the bridge, especially in summer when traffic volume is greater. The new fellow I work with recently dealt with one of those incidents and was quite upset. Unless you know the back roads (we hopped on mapquest and I helped him find a route through Spencer and downtown Salisbury) you'll find yourself in some really nasty traffic jams.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:12 PM

22 posts, read 59,879 times
I commuted from Davie County to Charlotte 6 days a week, and I took the back roads through Salisbury. From East Davie to exit 76 on Southbound 85 took me 35 minutes. Pleasant drive, no problem. Scenic and less stressful as other poster mentioned. Not bad at all.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:03 PM

25 posts, read 70,216 times
I do the drive from China Grove to Wake Forest Med every 35 days and since last October and do that run in roughly 45 minutes or so using I85/52 all the way but I do that drive outside of the regular rush hour times and I'm a NASCAR "Wanna B" and that bridge area is a royal pain in the patutti .Work is done but the barrels and cones are still out there and the strange lines left on the pavement can confuse even an Einstein. and there is talk of the new bridge, whenever built, being a toll bridge. Can't believe NCDOT even thought about this, (Oh yes I can) gonna need 35 gates each way to handle rush hour and it will screw up all those nice back road bypasses through Spencer and Salisbury
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point