Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 06:40 PM

169 posts, read 340,879 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will visiting NC soon to scope out its potential for relocation. I already have plans to check out Winston Salem, but thought I should hedge my bets and check out Greensboro too. I have been trying to review a lot of the threads on the forum and now that commuting btw them is not ideal, that Greensboro has the smaller downtown, etc. but I am looking for specific neighborhoods to check out.

As in my WS post, I am single so would be looking for neighborhoods with very small homes (1-2 bedrooms), no condos. I prefer houses/neighborhoods with charm, but the most important part of a neighborhood to me is walkability. I am looking for neighborhoods where it is possible to walk to get groceries, whether that is a grocery store, farmer's market, butcher or baker (not candlestick maker) That is my main criteria. If I could walk to a library or pharmacy, that would be nice, but food is most important. I don't care about walking to other shopping such as clothing stores, closets are full, or knick knack stores.

It would also be nice to have the option to walk to some restaurants, something beyond fast food, a cafe, ethnic restaurant, something along those lines works.

For anything outside of the above, there is Uber, buses etc. Well I guess it would be good to ask for a neighborhood that has a bus line within it somewhere.

I don't have kids so I could care less about a good school district, I am a freelancer, so not worried about commuting accessibility, etc. Without kids or pets, I don't need a nearby park. I am also not trying to 'keep up with the Joneses' so a modest neighborhood with walkability is fine as long as it's safe or at least 'up and coming'.

Based on that, can someone who knows Greensboro really well give me the names of actual neighborhoods I should circle on my map to check out when I visit?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 07:01 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Thats tough. (1 br houses are almost nonexistent) I don't think you'll find a neighborhood that meets all your requirements, frankly. Some to look at are Kirkwood, Lindley Park, Lake Daniel, Westwood and the area north of Cornwallis Drive and west of Battleground Avenue. Not all of those areas will work, but portions of each of them will come about as close as you will get.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:00 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
The only area that comes to mind is the Westwood/ Garden Homes area surrounded by Battleground Ave/ Holden Rd/ Bryan Blvd/ Westridge Rd. Though the neighborhoods lack sidewalks Battleground is walkable. This area does have many small homes around 1000 sq ft mixed with larger homes. There is an Earth Fare for groceries and restaurants scattered about. Being this area is a bit sprawled you will have to walk to get to places, it's not close quartered like a downtown.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:53 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
I live in Garden Homes. I like it a lot. The OP will need a car, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point