Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:28 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,028 times

Advertisements

Seriously. What's it like there? Anything you have to say, off the wall, I don't mind. I wished we spent more time there on our visit, but we merely passed through only spending 2 hours tops so we could meet friends in
Winston-Salem on the same day. What's the feel of the town/city? Are there areas you'd care to avoid? Spots you think are really beautiful or nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 07:10 AM

525 posts, read 2,123,240 times
I love it here. Four seasons (tho fall seems to get shorter and shorter), cheap housing, good schools, stuff to do, shopping is good. Best part is we're right smack in the middle of the state. So... if you can't find it here, you can find it quick enough. Charlotte and Raleigh are each about 1.5 hours, DC and Atlanta are 5 hours, mountains in 2, beach in 3 or so. It's great.

Aside from the occasional stupid move on the part of our city leaders (politicians... what can you do? ) it's a great place to live.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,684 times
Greensboro is a medium-sized city that has urban/big city charcteristics and it has small town/city charcteristics. Its not a big city but its not a small city. I think thats what makes it a great place to live because it has something for everyone. Greensboro is very family oriented but with the revitilzation of downtown its become a great spot for singles as well. The city is also a college town with two major universities and about 5 or 6 colleges. Most of those colleges are in the downtown area. Greensboro is known for its parks, gardens and greenways so its a very beautiful city as well. There are plenty of restaurants, shopping and entertainment options as well with establishments such as PF Changs restaurant and Brooks Brothers/BB Women.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 34,822 times
Hey there!
I live in Lexington, near Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point. All these areas have a lot of southern charm. We have all sports - ice hockey, pro football, NASCAR. Also have a number of colleges in the 3 cities around us and in Salisbury as well. From street festivals to shopping at the large malls in the area. Weather is great and we have mountains and skiing to the west with a great coastal area a few hours drive to the east.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhometriad View Post
I love it here. Four seasons (tho fall seems to get shorter and shorter), cheap housing, good schools, stuff to do, shopping is good. Best part is we're right smack in the middle of the state. So... if you can't find it here, you can find it quick enough. Charlotte and Raleigh are each about 1.5 hours, DC and Atlanta are 5 hours, mountains in 2, beach in 3 or so. It's great.

Aside from the occasional stupid move on the part of our city leaders (politicians... what can you do? ) it's a great place to live.
I do like that about the Piedmont, the central location. I'm more of a mountain girl myself, but with my Dad being in the Navy I always grew up around the coast. How far is Asheboro (the zoo)? Thanks for your info! I appreciate it!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Greensboro is a medium-sized city that has urban/big city charcteristics and it has small town/city charcteristics. Its not a big city but its not a small city. I think thats what makes it a great place to live because it has something for everyone. Greensboro is very family oriented but with the revitilzation of downtown its become a great spot for singles as well. The city is also a college town with two major universities and about 5 or 6 colleges. Most of those colleges are in the downtown area. Greensboro is known for its parks, gardens and greenways so its a very beautiful city as well. There are plenty of restaurants, shopping and entertainment options as well with establishments such as PF Changs restaurant and Brooks Brothers/BB Women.
Your description of Greensboro is what I was shooting for - the feeling of the place. With great things like Google Earth you can see the struture of a city, if it has alot of trees perhaps and all the street names you desires. But, it doesn't tell you what Magnolia smells like on an 82 degree summer day, how often someone tries to tailgate you, or whether people say they're sorry when they accidentally bump you in crossing. I liked how you said it was not big and not small. I get that! I do! I've lived so many places in my life, including in other countries. Thanks! Love the description!! Keep them coming!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Gregory View Post
Hey there!
I live in Lexington, near Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point. All these areas have a lot of southern charm. We have all sports - ice hockey, pro football, NASCAR. Also have a number of colleges in the 3 cities around us and in Salisbury as well. From street festivals to shopping at the large malls in the area. Weather is great and we have mountains and skiing to the west with a great coastal area a few hours drive to the east.
Hi Miss Betty, thank you for your response!

When is a common time for street festivals? I know NC summers can be searing and humid, so I'm wondering if they tend to be more in late Autumn and early Spring? Where can I find out more information about calender events like this? Thanks you guys! You are AWESOME!!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:15 PM

71 posts, read 285,035 times
The real big throw-down in downtown Greensboro called Get Down!Town is in the late summer/early fall. It's not the only one that we have, but it's one of the bigger ones.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 AM

Thanks Caodhan! I will be looking forward to it.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:46 AM

525 posts, read 2,123,240 times
again, look for the Tate Street festival twice a year, spring and fall. Freaky deaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point