Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 07:24 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't find much difference in humidity in any areas of the state. It's humid in Greensboro, humid in the mountains (very), humid at the beach, but it's the TEMPERATURES that vary.

The hottest place in the state is the Sandhills and Fayetteville, SE NC area. It's always 2 or 3 degrees hotter there than anywhere else. Charlotte and Raleigh are pretty much on par and the Triad (Greensboro) is a couples of degrees cooler than either. In the winter there is often a break just outside Greensboro so that Greensboro will get snow, but in Raleigh it will be 35 and raining. The mountains are incredibly humid (parts of the Blue Ridge are considered a temperate rainforest), but they are much, much cooler than the rest of the state. Asheville is usually 10 degrees cooler than Raleigh, maybe 8-6 degrees cooler than Greensboro. Boone is 15-20 degrees cooler than Raleigh, 12-15 degrees cooler than Greensboro.

If you can handle Texas and Florida heat and humidity North Carolina heat and humidity should not be a problem. Many people who move here from other parts of the US seem to be surprised that it's hot in the South in the summer.
Raleigh on average is a bit more humid than charlotte. the mountains are also humid but it isn't felt as much because temps are lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 10:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Raleigh vs Charlotte— I don't think there's much difference, if any at all. Very familiar with both places. Spouse grew up in Charlotte and all the in-laws still live there. Pretty much the same feel weather wise. Greensboro is noticeably a degree or two cooler. Fayetteville is noticeably a degree or two hotter.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:50 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Raleigh vs Charlotteā€” I don't think there's much difference, if any at all. Very familiar with both places. Spouse grew up in Charlotte and all the in-laws still live there. Pretty much the same feel weather wise. Greensboro is noticeably a degree or two cooler. Fayetteville is noticeably a degree or two hotter.
The difference is not noticeable on average Raleigh is a tad hotter and more humid but what difference does it make really? Charlotte averages 89 and July with an average few point of 71 Raleigh average 90 with dew point of 72. Not a noticeable difference. Although I feel Charlotte is more prone to dry heat and drought as seen just this past summer.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:21 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclt View Post
Do you think Mt. Mitchell and Greensboro are similar in respect to humidity and temperature? By dividing the state into 2 parts, the poster was essentially saying they are. There are huge geographic and topographic differences between the mountains and the piedmont...lumping them together in this particular case makes no sense.
Wow...that poster wasn't saying anything of the kind. There are obviously differences in temperature/humidity even if you divide the state into smaller sections. Do you think Pilot Mountain and Greensboro are exactly alike with respect to humidity and temperature? They aren't, but they are both in the Piedmont area of NC. I think it was just a general statement and not intended to be an exact science.

And it's not lumping everything together, but just dividing the state in half for comparison purposes. It's really not all that serious. The eastern half of the state is GENERALLY more hot/humid than the western half. Is that okay with you or do you need to dissect it further? I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
The difference is not noticeable on average Raleigh is a tad hotter and more humid but what difference does it make really? Charlotte averages 89 and July with an average few point of 71 Raleigh average 90 with dew point of 72. Not a noticeable difference. Although I feel Charlotte is more prone to dry heat and drought as seen just this past summer.

True...Raleigh is further east, but Charlotte is further South, so those two balance out for the most part. A degree difference is more than it sounds like, but it's still not enough to make the two un-similar.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:57 PM

54 posts, read 65,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Wow...that poster wasn't saying anything of the kind. There are obviously differences in temperature/humidity even if you divide the state into smaller sections. Do you think Pilot Mountain and Greensboro are exactly alike with respect to humidity and temperature? They aren't, but they are both in the Piedmont area of NC. I think it was just a general statement and not intended to be an exact science.

And it's not lumping everything together, but just dividing the state in half for comparison purposes. It's really not all that serious. The eastern half of the state is GENERALLY more hot/humid than the western half. Is that okay with you or do you need to dissect it further? I don't see what the big deal is.
Dividing the state in half in regard to temperature and humidity is pointless. Do you not understand that? Its really a simple concept.

If its not that serious, then quit talking about it.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclt View Post
Dividing the state in half in regard to temperature and humidity is pointless. Do you not understand that? Its really a simple concept.

If its not that serious, then quit talking about it.

LOL! What a ridiculous thing to argue. I have tried to help you comprehend the original point but it seems to be beyond your grasp so I gave up. I now understand that you are spending time criticizing the way someone decided to split the state rather than on the actual topic. Good job.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:42 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
LOL! What a ridiculous thing to argue. I have tried to help you comprehend the original point but it seems to be beyond your grasp so I gave up. I now understand that you are spending time criticizing the way someone decided to split the state rather than on the actual topic. Good job.
I don't get the concept of eastern vs. western NC in regard to humidity either. "Western" NC can range from 800 feet above sea level to over 6,000 feet. That has a huge impact on humidity, and just makes no sense.

For example, there's not much difference between temp and humidity between, say, G'boro (western NC) and Laurinburg (eastern NC), but there is a big difference between G'boro and West Jefferson. (both in western NC).

To me, it makes no sense to talk about "western NC" in this context...am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point