Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:05 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times

Advertisements

There appears to be a few who insist on keeping this incident alive, seemingly for political gain. I recall the truth and reconciliation commission that accomplished practically nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 06:33 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
It happened, it's history, and it should be treated as such. I'm sure that most people look at this event today the same why that similar tragic events in history are perceived, but it did happen and trying to pretend otherwise or somehow justify the actions of those involved is futile. It took place in Greensboro and that will never change.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:45 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
It happened, it's history, and it should be treated as such. I'm sure that most people look at this event today the same why that similar tragic events in history are perceived, but it did happen and trying to pretend otherwise or somehow justify the actions of those involved is futile. It took place in Greensboro and that will never change.
Nobody is arguing that. We all know it happened.It was horrible.

You have no way of knowing how it's perceived by all the people who lived here.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:01 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
It happened, it's history, and it should be treated as such.
Yep, I agree. Did someone on here say otherwise?

Quote:
I'm sure that most people look at this event today the same why that similar tragic events in history are perceived, but it did happen and trying to pretend otherwise or somehow justify the actions of those involved is futile.
Yep, I agree again. It did happen. And again, did someone here say otherwise? Who has attempted to justify the actions of those involved?

Quote:
It took place in Greensboro and that will never change.
Once again Capt. Obvious, you nailed it. Yes indeed, it did happen.

You've pretty much said "it happened" in every way possible. I'm just not sure why you need to say it over and over again.

Oh, by the way...it happened!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:42 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Yep, I agree. Did someone on here say otherwise?

You've pretty much said "it happened" in every way possible. I'm just not sure why you need to say it over and over again.

Oh, by the way...it happened!

For the same reason you feel the need to try and control the narrative in this thread.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:24 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
For the same reason you feel the need to try and control the narrative in this thread.
To answer your question unchgrad, you will be fine. Greensboro has 2 HBCUs, UNCG, Greensboro College, Guilford College, plus GTCC which brings in diversity, and young people who tend to be more liberal. Greensboro's demographics doesn't really allow for it to be that type of place since most people growing up there, are use to living in the same neighborhoods and going to the same schools. I know I didn't have any issues when I was there while attending NC A&T. Had friends and fam that either attended A&T, or UNCG, and none of them had issues with race. Plenty of my friends are still there after graduation and none of them have complaints(at least not, "this place is racist" complaints). I don't think anybody on this thread is sitting denying history. Just saying that it's not something you will be dealing with in Greensboro in 2016.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
So now providing balance and pointing out FACTS constitutes controlling the narrative? Oh please. Methinks you have a hidden agenda.

Oh yeah, it happened. In Greensboro. Yes, it happened.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
To answer your question unchgrad, you will be fine. Greensboro has 2 HBCUs, UNCG, Greensboro College, Guilford College, plus GTCC which brings in diversity, and young people who tend to be more liberal. Greensboro's demographics doesn't really allow for it to be that type of place since most people growing up there, are use to living in the same neighborhoods and going to the same schools. I know I didn't have any issues when I was there while attending NC A&T. Had friends and fam that either attended A&T, or UNCG, and none of them had issues with race. Plenty of my friends are still there after graduation and none of them have complaints(at least not, "this place is racist" complaints). I don't think anybody on this thread is sitting denying history. Just saying that it's not something you will be dealing with in Greensboro in 2016.
uncchgrad isn't the OP. Otherwise, I think you are exactly right in your assessments.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:27 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
The TV show City Confidential did an excellent accounting of the entire story. I miss that show.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:17 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times
Default artriotnow ... here's the skinny...

artriotnow... don't listen to the lies. They will lie. Sometimes Southerners don't even know they're lying when the topic of racism comes up. Listen up ... and fasten your seat belts:

Racism won't be your biggest problem.
This is 2016, and while there's racism EVERYWHERE... and most of it takes the form of economic racism... your biggest issue will be adjusting to the culture down here.

YES ... of course... there's racism...(just find yourself driving into the wrong small town)... but these people have been living together for centuries. They know each others grandparents. They grow up together. BUT... the curse of racism is a stake still deeply embedded in the Southern Heart. (There are reasons why they don't want to let go of that bloody flag....)

This means... your biggest issues will be dealing with:
  1. The karma ... the fallout... the legacy of slavery
  2. The INTERNALIZED oppression that slavery caused
  3. The resentments and jealousies that linger
You wrote that you're a "person of color."
WHAT COLOR ARE YOU? It truly, truly makes a difference.

If you're Asian... no problem. You're not in the history and as long as you do your job and deal with your friends and avoid engaging in conversations with some of the more... "challenged" blacks, whites, and other homegrown people here, you'll be fine.

The BIGGEST issue is the culture of moving from a real urban enviornment to ... North Carolina.... which remains ... "rural" in its culture. Raleigh, Cary... those kinds of places are on their way to change... but the South LOVES GOSSIP.

"They want to know about you.... not you."

Don't be fooled by the smiles. They want to keep their family and personal business private... but they want to gossip about you because the goal is to feel BETTER than you ..the outsider. Lies, slander? Don't matter. They just want their pound of flesh to gossip over ... after church.

Big Mamma-ism Vs. The Patriarchy
The gender war is hot down here. There's a form of Feminism that is attached to the illusion of power... being Gate Keepers and Heralds of who is lovable and worthy and who isn't is also a huge part of the DRAMA down here. (I strongly advise a brief look over of Jung's Depth Psychology around the emotionalism of women when it's attached to, "Will To Power" Vs. the heart.)

Economic oppression of women continues.
You're entering a long legacy of history that have created dysfunctional families.
Many have a RIGHT to be angry.
The Klan is still very much alive and well. The CONFEDERACY never died down here, so it's alive and well too. There are other "secrete" societies too. Masons... etc.. Unfortunately... Southern politics and business dealings still feel they can't survive without corruption... but hey... this is America...

And disregard that stuff about all the colleges and university. I've NEVER seen so many ill-informed college students in my life. Why? Cliques. When they only want to talk to each other... ABOUT YOU... rather than to you... they're only going to keep getting the same lame and incomplete views of the world.

SEX and POWER
Everything ... revolves around those two. If you're black.. BRING YOUR WIFE. You'll avoid a lot of drama if you do. There's like this ... arrogance like you're "SUPPOSED" to do this or that for people you don't even know and most of whom you don't wish to.

Shame is a big issue so... alcoholism, drug addiction, and mental illness looms (silently) LARGE.
The other side of that coin is emotional and psychological "Codependency" ... the grasping of some who want to use others as their "drug". (More drama.) There's are "rules" they want YOU to live by... but they don't. Main one is: "You're SUPPOSED to be nice."

Don't fall for it. There's a lot of compassion ... yes. But beneath the surface? People are not nice .. so you be you and keep your fences up because you can bet theirs are up.

BAD BOUNDARIES
This goes back to the Urban Vs. Rural culture.
There are ... very few ... boundaries that people will respect. It's the South. You have to show them where the boundaries are. And don't try to change them. Won't work. JESUS has been trying for centuries and apparently he's had little success.

If you're Hispanic...
There are plenty of your people here.

If you're black... well ... ((chuckle)) ... dig this...
North Carolina is one of the most beautiful states in the U.S. You can rent or buy cheaper than in most places. There are tons of "Northerners" (people who come from anywhere but the Carolinas or ... Georgia) continuing to move here. It will take you a minute, but you will find your tribe.

You may have to recreate what you need to enjoy a quality of life here... but you can do it. Just be prepared to ignore what most folks say, and look for those with TRULY good hearts and those who have similar interest. Durham is changing. Forget about what Greensboro is doing. It's controlled by old Southern money. Nobody is going to physically hurt you.

Offer whatever talents you have to those who want to accept it... and forget all the idiots who are threatened and jealous just because you look different or have out-of-state plates. Find out how this experience will help you grow and change and become more "you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point