Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:28 PM

10 posts, read 9,266 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the Raleigh/Durham area and have an opportunity in the Greensboro area. How reasonable/unreasonable is it to commute from the triangle area to Greensboro. Driving times would be early morning and midday (5am and 3pm), 3 or 4 days a week.

I have not decided on a home, but Durham seems best for this drive. Is this true?Are there preferable routes? Is the hour time estimate from Google maps accurate? Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 05:30 PM

261 posts, read 380,538 times
An hour is probably about right, although I'm sure here will be days when its longer. I wouldn't consider that, but if you're ok with it, then go for it. There's only one route, I-85.

Why not just live in G'boro? Its a nice place to live. Nicer than Durham is some ways.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:40 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
An hour is probably about right, although I'm sure here will be days when its longer. I wouldn't consider that, but if you're ok with it, then go for it. There's only one route, I-85.

Why not just live in G'boro? Its a nice place to live. Nicer than Durham is some ways.
I agree with this, Honestly speaking, Having lived in both, Greensboro is much larger and has more things to do than Durham, also the North East side of town is a great place to live.

But in the end, it is ultimately up to you. that was just my 0.2$

Old 02-09-2016, 12:55 AM

I appreciate the input. My husband is focusing his job search in the Triangle area. That is where we decided to relocate after visiting (I haven't visited Greensboro, so there's a chance I would like it there too, but for now we're sticking to the plan). My job search is also focused on Raleigh/Durham, I'm just trying to decide if this other opportunity would be worth the drive.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:29 AM

261 posts, read 380,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.paws View Post
I appreciate the input. My husband is focusing his job search in the Triangle area. That is where we decided to relocate after visiting (I haven't visited Greensboro, so there's a chance I would like it there too, but for now we're sticking to the plan). My job search is also focused on Raleigh/Durham, I'm just trying to decide if this other opportunity would be worth the drive.
It would have to be a tremendous opportunity for me to consider that commute. But thats me. I hate long commutes.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:41 PM

149 posts, read 250,678 times
A lot of triangle workers live in Mebane, it would cut down on your commute, and RTP is a short drive also.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:14 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Not to be a Greensboro hater, but I think Durham is a better choice. The whole Research Triangle is just nicer than the Triad, in my opinion. Durham is a far more vibrant and progressive city, although some areas of Greensboro are getting better in this department. Anyway, the drive on I-85 between Durham and Greensboro is certainly doable. It'll take an hour or so. Chapel Hill will also take an hour if you want to stick with the Triangle, another possibility.

I wouldn't recommend Mebane. It's a growing town between Durham and Greensboro, but it's still on the smaller side. If you want a smaller town, go for it. However, you'll have to drive about 30 minutes to either Durham or Greensboro for entertainment. Neighboring Hillsborough fits in the same boat to a certain extent, but only lies about 15-20 minutes from Durham.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:16 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
IMO south durham and downtown durham dont feel connected I would opt to live around greensboro growth is a little slower, still has all the good stuff, still feels southern, 5 year plan for the triangle is a question mark with all the immigration.

I say this living in Durham

greensboro is also very progressive that's pretty off the mark lol. But I admit you will see more uh, how do we say on this forum?, natives milling around greensboro

Old 02-10-2016, 06:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
That is the kind of commute that most folks are willing to do on a temporary basis (maybe in school in Greensboro or vice-versa, living in G-boro and in school in Durham). Most folks wouldn't want to do that on a daily basis, but I'm sure there are some couples who have to. I don't think most people would want to sustain it long term. They'd be looking for new jobs in one place or the other.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post

greensboro is also very progressive that's pretty off the mark lol. But I admit you will see more uh, how do we say on this forum?, natives milling around greensboro
I have no idea what this means.

The smaller towns in between don't really appeal to us, we're trying to avoid total suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point