Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 01:40 PM

18 posts, read 17,527 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Winston Salem some time in May/June this year. A family with 8 yr old boy; I have been reading the forum as regards to different options on where to live and found out about ardmore, sherwood, etc. As we are coming from London, UK, we are quite used to public transportation which I understand is not as extensive in WS.

We have been searching for a possibility of settling nearby WFBMC if there are apartments that are sort of walkable. The only apartment we can find out is Edgeflats apartment which is around 10-15 mins walk, I just don't know if walking is really ideal (safe) in the area. Apartment monthly rent is also at $1500 (furnished and inclusive of everything except electricity). The other apartments recommended are burkridge crossing (Burke Ridge Crossing Winston Salem, NC | Apartments For Rent) and crown club apartment (Crowne Club: Stylish Apartments in Winston Salem, North Carolina.) but both are within 10-15 minutes drive.

The reason why we opt to live near the work place is that, while waiting to process our SSN, driving license, buying a car, we won't have difficulty in going to work. Secondly, looking at greatschools.org, the nearest school to the apartment is brunson which has a score of 8.

If we won't be able to find any that is nearby the hospital, we are left with no option but to either do uber or cab service while waiting for our driving license/car.

I would like to ask some honest opinions from those familiar in the area and would appreciate your answers.

Many Thanks.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 02:52 PM

261 posts, read 380,538 times
Have you considered renting a small house? There are generally many available in Ardmore.

I used to live around the corner from Edgeflats. You certainly be fine walking to the hospital from there.

Also, have you actually talked to the NC Division of Motor Vehicles about obtaining a license as a non-citizen? I think there are options to having to have a social security number, but I don't know a lot about the process.

Public transportation in W-S is rudimentary, at best.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:00 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
I wouldn't call the area around Edge Flats unsafe. There is one little cluster of lower-income housing on two adjacent streets and you might see the occasional shifty character coming in or out of one of the close-by convenience stores, but you're also just south of some of the most well-heeled neighborhoods in the city. You're also a comfortable walking distance from grocery stores and restaurants and such. It's not THE most walkable spot imaginable, especially given what you're likely used to, but it's not bad.

Crowne Club and Burkeridge will be terribly inconvenient for you given your driving situation. I'd say your next best option after Edge would be a rental house or duplex in Ardmore, West Highlands, or West End.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
Have you considered renting a small house? There are generally many available in Ardmore.

I used to live around the corner from Edgeflats. You certainly be fine walking to the hospital from there.

Also, have you actually talked to the NC Division of Motor Vehicles about obtaining a license as a non-citizen? I think there are options to having to have a social security number, but I don't know a lot about the process.

Public transportation in W-S is rudimentary, at best.
Thanks for your reply. We are on immigrant visa, and our SSN will only be processed upon arrival and since we can't process our driving license without SSN, it will take a bit of time, I understand it will take 2 weeks or more for our SSN to be made available, so, we are giving ourselves 2 months from arrival to have access to our own transportation. It would have been easier if I have a UK driving license which I didn't bother to have due to public transportation availability. I'll try to look for other options like housing as you suggested. THanks

Old 02-12-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
I wouldn't call the area around Edge Flats unsafe. There is one little cluster of lower-income housing on two adjacent streets and you might see the occasional shifty character coming in or out of one of the close-by convenience stores, but you're also just south of some of the most well-heeled neighborhoods in the city. You're also a comfortable walking distance from grocery stores and restaurants and such. It's not THE most walkable spot imaginable, especially given what you're likely used to, but it's not bad.

Crowne Club and Burkeridge will be terribly inconvenient for you given your driving situation. I'd say your next best option after Edge would be a rental house or duplex in Ardmore, West Highlands, or West End.
Thanks, I'll try to search on those areas you mentioned. We'll see what I can come up with. I also saw some adverts posted on WFBMC website, I guess, they are posted by either employees or students from the hospital.

It seems the options we have are either stay with Edgeflats and bear with the $1500+ monthly rent or look for a small house or duplex and end up cheaper monthly expenses, so, would $1,000.00 be a decent budget already for a family of 3? Would it be possible to spend for house rental, internet, utilities for $1000?

Old 02-12-2016, 07:08 PM

261 posts, read 380,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJharrow View Post
Thanks, I'll try to search on those areas you mentioned. We'll see what I can come up with. I also saw some adverts posted on WFBMC website, I guess, they are posted by either employees or students from the hospital.

It seems the options we have are either stay with Edgeflats and bear with the $1500+ monthly rent or look for a small house or duplex and end up cheaper monthly expenses, so, would $1,000.00 be a decent budget already for a family of 3? Would it be possible to spend for house rental, internet, utilities for $1000?
$1,000 may be possible, although $1,200 to $1,300 is more likely. Are you familiar with Craigslist? Its a great resource, although you do have to exercise good sense and a bit of caution when using it.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
$1,000 may be possible, although $1,200 to $1,300 is more likely. Are you familiar with Craigslist? Its a great resource, although you do have to exercise good sense and a bit of caution when using it.
Thanks, will look around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point